Looking to "sync-up" with another member in the upstate NY region

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acammer

Reaction score
I got to spend some time this week/weekend with the Vmax. I completed the peashooter as well as fixing my choke linkage, and resolved some intermittent 3 cylinder-ing under pilot circuit conditions. Bike is running good, but I'm pretty sure I'm well due for a good carb sync. Under very light, almost no load/no throttle conditions I can notice that there is uneven-ness, and that 1 or 2 cylinders starts pulling sooner as you just crack the throttle. Add almost any load or throttle at all and this is gone.

Now, I don't have a sync tool, and while I'd like to add one to the ever growing pile of tools in the garage, it's just not in the budget right now. Is their anybody in the central NY region that has a sync tool that wouldn't mind having a fellow Vmaxer stop by to get a quick sync in. Maybe grab a bite to eat afterward or something. I live in Auburn, NY, and work in Syracuse. Anything within a 100 mile radius would be fair game to me. Be nice to meet some fellow 'maxers.

I got to spend some time this week/weekend with the Vmax. I completed the peashooter as well as fixing my choke linkage, and resolved some intermittent 3 cylinder-ing under pilot circuit conditions. Bike is running good, but I'm pretty sure I'm well due for a good carb sync. Under very light, almost no load/no throttle conditions I can notice that there is uneven-ness, and that 1 or 2 cylinders starts pulling sooner as you just crack the throttle. Add almost any load or throttle at all and this is gone.

Now, I don't have a sync tool, and while I'd like to add one to the ever growing pile of tools in the garage, it's just not in the budget right now. Is their anybody in the central NY region that has a sync tool that wouldn't mind having a fellow Vmaxer stop by to get a quick sync in. Maybe grab a bite to eat afterward or something. I live in Auburn, NY, and work in Syracuse. Anything within a 100 mile radius would be fair game to me. Be nice to meet some fellow 'maxers.

my brother is in Whitesboro and i just left there and currently have my tool with me. i could mail it to you if you wanted to use it. its a 2-port one tho.

I am sure that there are guys that will jump in and help, however I built my own for a couple of bucks.

Looks just like this one

Your about 40 Miles from my location, Manchester/Canandaigua Location. I have a Morgan cartune would gladly help you out with if needed. I am usually on a some sort of wild hours but can help a brother out.

I have seen Garrets setup also, easy as pie..

If you want to come up to the Schroon Lake region, I can swipe the 4-gauge sync tool from work.

Your about 40 Miles from my location, Manchester/Canandaigua Location. I have a Morgan cartune would gladly help you out with if needed. I am usually on a some sort of wild hours but can help a brother out.

I have seen Garrets setup also, easy as pie..

Chris - I used to drive through Manchester every day when I was going to FLCC - nice little ride over for me on the bike now. We will have to nail down some time to get together - what's your Saturday morning look like? Shoot me a PM.

Guys - thank you for all your willingness to help out. This heavy right wrist-ed fool will probably end up buying a sync tool some day if the Vmax carbs really drift as easy as everyone says. In the mean time, it'll be fun to meet up with another maxer, and get things 100%.

Still, we'll have to have a meet for the NY'ers - plenty of pretty places to ride in this state.

Chris - I used to drive through Manchester every day when I was going to FLCC - nice little ride over for me on the bike now. We will have to nail down some time to get together - what's your Saturday morning look like? Shoot me a PM.

Guys - thank you for all your willingness to help out. This heavy right wrist-ed fool will probably end up buying a sync tool some day if the Vmax carbs really drift as easy as everyone says. In the mean time, it'll be fun to meet up with another maxer, and get things 100%.

Still, we'll have to have a meet for the NY'ers - plenty of pretty places to ride in this state.

my 25$ 2-port model works awesome and you can bring it anywhere, which is nice. I have a mercury 4 port model, and it goes quicker but the 2 port works quite well.

they're on ebay all the time, can't find one right now but they're usually under 'universal carb synchronizer' and from the UK i believe.

Pm sent

Well, I decided from even more reading, that I'll probably be sync'ing the max a few times a year, so I might as well own a tool of my own. So, I built one. Four feet of 3/8" id for the measurement section, and a quartet of universal fit barb connectors from the local auto-parts store to reduce it down to 3/16" id for the connection to the bike. The auto-parts store reducers also made for a perfect restrictor. Couple zip ties later I was ready to rock. I filled the tool by plugging two of the lines, putting a third into a quart of ATF, and sucking it into the tool through the remaining hose. Don't think I spilled more than a drop.

On first start I had a carb so far ahead (as I suspected) that I had to start it, identify which carb was pulling more that it's share, and then cut the motor because it was going to pull it into the motor if I left it going to long. Took a few cycles of that to get everything balanced enough to let it run constant and keep all the fluid in the tool. Then it was just tinker tinker until it was all evened out. Much steadier idle. The response was good before now, and it's just as good now. Stays out of over-run better now that it's pulling more even. I need to get those carb caps off some day and make some idle mixture adjustments because I'm definitely rich at idle with the super-trapps.

Still looking forward to catching up with some local vmax guys at some point.

Attachments

• IMAG0062.jpg
    IMAG0062.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 324
very nice, its amazing the first time they come into synch they just sound better. my bike ran tons better after the first synch (altho it hadn't been done in 5k miles!) and now i keep more on top of it.

Nice bit of manufacturing! You should come down to the Brownie Run and hook up with the group there! From all accounts there is going to be quite the gathering.:punk:

Nice bit of manufacturing! You should come down to the Brownie Run and hook up with the group there! From all accounts there is going to be quite the gathering.:punk:

Chris had mentioned something about that in a PM - do you have a link to more information, I might be interested in checking it out.

If you look in the Social Group section (It's under the MENU button up top on a drop down menu called funny enough "Social Group".) there are several to choose from but the current one is "Brownie Run '11". It has the information for lodging, date, etc. If you need more information contact Dannymax and he can fill you in.
It is a group of us here that Danny decided to inviter over for brownies and it just kinda grew from there. We hail from many different states and even countries so it is truly a international incident, err, event!:biglaugh:

Scammer,

send me an email some time, we can hook up for a vmax ride. mach743 at yahoo dot com. I live in whitesboro. I worked at the bombardier plant in auburn for 17yrs before they closed it.

always interested in meeting up with other vmax'ers for a ride.

Steve

I Live in Homer, NY Just south of Syracuse If you guys wre ever down this way.

Scammer,

send me an email some time, we can hook up for a vmax ride. mach743 at yahoo dot com. I live in whitesboro. I worked at the bombardier plant in auburn for 17yrs before they closed it.

always interested in meeting up with other vmax'ers for a ride.

Steve

no shit really? i'm from whitesboro, live out near boston now but all my family is back there. my brother just picked up an '92 and is in the process of blacking it out, lives up near the harts hill inn.

have your brother look me up. mach743 at Yahoo dot com. I live on clinton rd, across from the golf course. I usualy take my max to sylvan beach on Tuesday nights.

Back