lose weight on a V-max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX1260

Supporting Member
Reaction score
is ti possible to lose weight on V-max.

i need opinions, ok you can replace your costum with carbon one.

i need a dramatic lost of weight. for example about 50 kg

any suggestions?

Aluminium swingarm,chain drive,lightweight wheels......that should shave a bit off.....

The biggest advantage with loosing weight on a v-max is the exhaust.
Stock one is very heavy. For example Marks 4-2-1 weights around 14lbs and the stock setup is around 50lbs?

Second in the list will be chain drive conversion.
But that mod will not suit evrybody. Kinda costly and dificult.
Also those conversions running some issues.

Swingarm is not heavy, also frame is not heavy.
Not much benefits with convertin them to alu.
Same with body parts.

I'd say changing the wheels gives much weight benefits too.

Well, I guess it all depends on what your gonna be using it for.

Street or Strip? If your not gonna run it on the street then there is quite a bit of stuff to get ride of.

Head light, turn signals, tail light, rear inner fender, shocks for struts, Starter, Extra wiring, Single sided front busa conversion with light weight rotor, Rear foot pegs, Smaller fuel tank, etc....

Now if you are able to get 50 kg from this bike, I am not sure.

If you do let me know as I am in going in the same direction. But, I ride on the street a lot also.

I think 50kg (~110lbs) would be pretty tough, considering the bike is a bit shy of 600 to start with. That's a big percentage to lose. The stock muffler is the easiest way to shave off like 30lbs (slip ons are worth it just for weight savings if nothing else) beyond that there isn't a whole lot you can do for substantial weight savings. The vmax just doesn't have much "extra" stuff on it to start with assuming you want to keep it streetable.

There are carbon body bits available which do save weight, but it's only like a pound or so for the entire set....lot of money for a very marginal loss.

I think 50kg (~110lbs) would be pretty tough, considering the bike is a bit shy of 600 to start with. That's a big percentage to lose. The stock muffler is the easiest way to shave off like 30lbs (slip ons are worth it just for weight savings if nothing else) beyond that there isn't a whole lot you can do for substantial weight savings. The vmax just doesn't have much "extra" stuff on it to start with assuming you want to keep it streetable.

There are carbon body bits available which do save weight, but it's only like a pound or so for the entire set....lot of money for a very marginal loss.

looking @ his bike, the exhaust is already gone. i'd say the biggest way is for the rider to lose some of it and goto a chain drive.

The chain drive conversion will net you ~125lbs of weight loss, give or take. Also, and this is the best part about it, you will lose ~50lbs of "rotational mass", in other words weight your engine needs to use power to get moving. Have to take Toxic to a good scale and get the final weight and post here, just need to find a good scale.

Thank you guys for all advices..., lot's of weight bennefit with chain conversion i see. does this conversion's in the pass of time is ok. or the have problems..?

The chain drive conversion will net you ~125lbs of weight loss, give or take. Also, and this is the best part about it, you will lose ~50lbs of "rotational mass", in other words weight your engine needs to use power to get moving. Have to take Toxic to a good scale and get the final weight and post here, just need to find a good scale.

Wow, I didn't realize it was that much of a savings. Figured the weight of the chain and sprockets would almost cancel out the loss of the pumpkin....guess that's not the case.

125lbs??????????????

Sorry, but I find that hard to believe.

That would mean that more than 20% of the bikes mass is middle gear and final drive!

I would agree. The estimate might be correct if exhaust and the obvious wheels are added in too. That would put the bike at just over 500lbs which is not bad considering the most modern sportbikes still weight a little over 400 and the busa and zx14 are over 500.

Sean

As far as a V Max is concerned , weight savings would be in the same category as fuel mileage and doing track days . Just not the main selling points of the bike .

That said , it seems as though it's a fools holiday to attempt any of these quests...just my 2 cents...:twocents:

Yep, with good wheels, chain drive, taking every piece of material not required, getting rid of the stock exhaust, etc. and 125lbs is more than possible. Stock rear seat, grab bar, massive blinkers, and that plastic abortion for a tail light gone.... you get the idea.

Oh and Prezmek, in another thread you told me that I was probably a little low on my weight loss, said to re-weigh.....

Have to take Toxic to a good scale and get the final weight and post here, just need to find a good scale.

Most truck stops here in the states have scales that regular people can use. Also, any scrap metal recyclers.

Replacing the stock pipe and wheels would be high on my list for weight reduction. If you don't need it - center stand, rear pegs, heat shields ect ect... I found 60 lbs I didn't need !!!!

Yankee

Last edited:
Back