Low battery just left me stranded

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperPete

Reaction score
I guess I have to go through my wiring again to find why I'm not holding a charge again. Last year I cleaned up all the grounds and I thought I had it fixed, but this morning it cranked very slowly, and half way to work it died when I came to a stop. Not enough juice to crank it over now. Ah well, it's a beautiful day. I'll take the day off and start to go through all the connections. Grrrrrrr

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

sounds like you have a poor charging system. If it is effecting it starting and dies while riding. I haven't had too much dealing with my charging system, but either you have too much hooked up, or you need to check your regulator. I would think if you have at least one or two of the grounds connected well that isn't going to be your problem..

It could also be that my almost 1 year old batteries Plus battery is garbage, but my guess is that I have some high resistance connections that need to be cleaned up / soldered.

Start with a good sealed battery. Get one with a minimum 18AH capacity. I like the USB WITH 22 AH for just $56 shipped, sometimes cheaper. Fully charge it before install. It's not worth doing anything until a good, fully charged battery is in the system.

Not yet. I was going to last year but the grounds seemed to fix it.

In my case, even after doing the crimp fix and making sure the battery is good, I was still having hot start problem.

The starting problem went away after I did the starter fix (clean the wires, add ground point etc).

I am pretty sure that you have checked this, but I just went through the same thing. I pulled the battery clear out (just because I wanted to), and put it on a charger. While it was charging, I pulled the caps off, and checked the fluid. It was extremely low on battery acid, and took a lot to fill it. I kept adding fluid while it was charging, and I believe that it may have taken a pint or more. The battery was an Odyssey 680, so that is why I wanted to get it clear out and take a good look at it. I had heard that these were very good batteries. Since I have it filled, I have had no more troubles with starting problems.

I am pretty sure that you have checked this, but I just went through the same thing. I pulled the battery clear out (just because I wanted to), and put it on a charger. While it was charging, I pulled the caps off, and checked the fluid. It was extremely low on battery acid, and took a lot to fill it. I kept adding fluid while it was charging, and I believe that it may have taken a pint or more. The battery was an Odyssey 680, so that is why I wanted to get it clear out and take a good look at it. I had heard that these were very good batteries. Since I have it filled, I have had no more troubles with starting problems.

I thought the PC680 was an AGM battery... Wouldn't that mean no fluids to add? If that's the case, and I may be wrong, I'd be really careful about putting anything in there.

I've no idea how you could have added fluid to am AGM battery. Unless you forced the factory fill caps off.
Being an AGM (absorbed glass matt) if you did manage to get it open it will take fluid since the fluid it is supposed to have is absorbed into the matting and nothing is sloshing around, so there's some air space in it normally.
Never heard of anyone doing this though.

My PC680 is 6-7 years old and still going strong.

Latest posts

Back