Marks exhaust install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shicks16

Reaction score
Well i finally got my Marks exhaust in the mail and have started the task of installing it, i have gotten to the point where i need to start tightening all the bolts to the engine and am having a small problem, it seems that the bolts for the front header is to long and i can't get it tight enough, i can't see any threads anymore and its gotten really tight but the header is still loose, am i missing something here? the back ones seem fine, its just these front ones. Also can anyone tell me what the tab on the crossover is for? also the two nuts that was included with the system?

The first photo shows the gap and the second shows the tab

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319164278.696198.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319164278.696198.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 86
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319164292.975883.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319164292.975883.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 81
can you not see the thread b/c the flange is covering the threads?

i think the tab is for the centre stand

Oh ok I think I know what happened with the bolt. It un threaded from the engine so I assumed it was a bolt. From looking at the blow up it looks like its threaded on both sides. The nut must be just stuck on there pretty good

Yup, typical exhaust manifold studs, threaded at both ends.

There is a hole in the tab for the rubber bumper off the oem system....it is what the centerstand rests against.

Didn't see the 2 nuts you referred to but maybe for the bolts where the system bolts to the frame?

Congrats on your system, just wait till you fire her up for the first time....it'll give you cold chills!! :punk:

Yes, they are studs not bolts. I would take the nut all the way off to see if there is anything binding or if the threads need to be cleaned up. The tab on the crossover is for the centerstand, take the rubber bumper off the stock exhaust and re-fit it on the tab.

Yes, they are studs not bolts. I would take the nut all the way off to see if there is anything binding or if the threads need to be cleaned up. The tab on the crossover is for the centerstand, take the rubber bumper off the stock exhaust and re-fit it on the tab.

Brian....you read my mind! No, wait a minute.....you read my post!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

J/K Brother, couldn't resist! :worthy:

Yup, typical exhaust manifold studs, threaded at both ends.

There is a hole in the tab for the rubber bumper off the oem system....it is what the centerstand rests against.

Didn't see the 2 nuts you referred to but maybe for the bolts where the system bolts to the frame?

Congrats on your system, just wait till you fire her up for the first time....it'll give you cold chills!! :punk:
Oh, ask me, ask me!:th_party39: The two nuts are for mounting the cans. The stock exhaust is threaded so it didn't need the nuts. The nuts should thread onto the stock bolts. I replaced mine with slightly longer SS allen headed bolts & washer so I could put a nylock nut on instead. I also had some clearance issues with my shocks(too close for me) so I rounded the bottom of the mount bracket to the mufflers so there would more clearance. (see pics)
EDIT: I also added a washer between the frame and muffer/ rear footpeg bracket for more muffler clearance, you can just see the washer in the 1st picture. (IMG_0641.JPG)

Attachments

• IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 58
Oh yeah, glad Brian mentioned the clearance issue....if you still run the centerstand be sure to check the clearance between the little C/S 'foot' and the left side can. Some guys have reported that it hits the can....it could require a little grinding or a 'Brian washer'! :biglaugh:

Thanks a lot everybody. I don't have a center stand anymore so that would explain why the tab was confusing me. I had cobra cans on the bike before so it already had a nut on the mounting bolt so that would explain the confusion. I didn't realize the oem mufflers was threaded. I hope the exhaust sounds as good as you all say. I am a little worried as I got mark to put his quite baffles in. I might have to get a set of his normal ones if it is too quite

Yeah I have 14 inch cans with 2 inch quite baffles with turn downs. I hope they are comparable to the cobras I had. Which by the way will be going up for sale very soon

If you have 14's and 2" cores, you'll be happy... Louder, take the packing out if you can stand it that loud.... Not Me......

so i tried to get those nuts off the studs and no go, i even tried heating them up and still nothing, and now i have bent them in the process, just called my dealer and they are $10 each, just for the stud, and another $5 for the nut, thats crazy, every time i take one step forward with this bike i take 2 steps back. luckily Sean is building me a new 1300 motor and i won't have to worry about this one anymore, i just really wanted to take it for a ride with the new exhaust before the snow came, oh well, i guess its parked for the season. :bang head:

so i tried to get those nuts off the studs and no go, i even tried heating them up and still nothing, and now i have bent them in the process, just called my dealer and they are $10 each, just for the stud, and another $5 for the nut, thats crazy, every time i take one step forward with this bike i take 2 steps back. luckily Sean is building me a new 1300 motor and i won't have to worry about this one anymore, i just really wanted to take it for a ride with the new exhaust before the snow came, oh well, i guess its parked for the season. :bang head:

They're ripping you off man.....BAD!! The nuts are $1.85 and the studs are $1.10!! http://www.ronayers.com/

I'd stay away from those guys, 'f'I was you! :punk:

Well I was able to use the existing bolts with some washers just to try it out. I didn't get new gaskets so it has a very small leak but I was installing it just to hear how it sounds and let me just say that I love the sound. It has a way lower pitch sound then the cobras did. It is about as loud, or may even be a little quiter then the cobras. I am going to run it next year and see how I like it. I may order a set of his regular baffles if it is too tame.

I just wanted to say how excellent it was to deal with mark. I found a small dent in one of the mufflers and mark offered to send me a new muffler or new outer skin at no cost. Stand up guy in my books and I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a high quality exhaust.

He offered to send my system, allow me to install it and then pay him. It just don't get any better than dealing with Mark.

Oh, I payed him first.... Couldn't believe he made that offer, but he did...

Latest posts

Back