Max against a tiumph triple???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthair88

Reaction score
I have a 85 max UFO piped, jetted ( don't know what stage ) & k/n filtered 12.5 k on the odometer...positively runs outstanding, very strong motor. My buddies scooter is a 955i triumph daytona triple 1999 piped & filtered, about 40k on odometer..We ran from 65 mhp up to about 115 or so befor I shut'er down, I had a half a lenght on him when we shit canned the go juice & ended w/ 2.5 lenghts ahead when we shut'em down @ 115mph. he said he did'nt down shift when we took off, I admited I did 1 gear. I've rode his bike & it realy moves out, max has got 1/2 sec better 1/4 mile stats, but his 36 to 87 roll on is two seconds faster than mine...He figures his bike will eat mine alive, what are some opinions out there for this match up??????

Shorthair88

You cant really compare motorcycle to motorcycle. Its better with street bikes which bike you can ride faster.

In this situation I can ride a VMAX faster then I can ANY triumph

Simple example I can beat some hayabusas. But I can run faster on a hayabusa then I can my VMAX. Does that make sense?

I've raced a speed triple at the track and won. He wasn't a very good rider, but I think the max would win with the same rider.... it would be close though.

The 955 is a fast bike. I have owned several triumph triples including the Rocket 3. The max feels just as fast and maybe faster BUT the Rocket had WAAYYYYY more torque. Matter of fact mine dyno'd 155HP and 160TQ with just a few bolt on's.

I also owned a sprint st 1050 which I think would probably beat a vmax or at least stay right with it.

The triumph triples are no slouches and they just keep improving the dam thing year after year. All things considered it's far from a fair fight...if it was you would be riding an 09 Vmax and kicking ANY triumphs ass EVER made very easily. LOL!

BTW here are some stats to compare...it looks like the 955i is alot faster than the max not only in 1/4 time but trap speed as well. You should be happy you won!

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/200801perfindex.pdf

The Daytonas are a nice SS bike, why did they stop making a 1 litre version?

I used to have a Sprint Rs(different fairing then the ST) with the 955cc motor. Same motor as the Daytona. That bike was fun and comfortable, rock solid at speed up to 147(never tried to go faster) , should have kept it. As far as I know they don't make any models with the 955cc size anymore. The speed triples and the Sprints have moved up to 1055CC and they released the 600cc daytona a couple of years before stopping the 955 model. My guess is the 600 was outselling the 955 model so well it wasn't worth the redesign to move it up to the 1055 motor like the others.

I had a hard time understanding exactly what you wrote? It sounded to me like you already beat him once? Did you start out with a lead?

I own a 2000 Max with UFO exhaust, Stage 1 jets and a K&N filters so we have very similiar Maxes.I also own a stock 2006 Triumph Speed Triple but it's the 1050 engine. No contest, the Triple is noticably faster. Hard to keep the front end down on a launch. I can't speak for the 955 but they weren't much slower than the 1050.

Latest posts

Back