Maxing around town, what I've learned

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick.

Reaction score
Ok so since I got the carbs in the max I've gone through about 4 tanks of gas. Each tank has been in the vicinity of 75 miles before the reserve light comes on. I'm told the norm is about 100 miles correct? Anyway, I figured it's due to me having fun with the bike since it's finally running after a whole year of tinkering and updating. A main factor I figured was the fact I figured out I could do rolling burnouts.

I took it easy on the previous tank and it was still around 75 miles when reserve came on. So here I am all stumped on why it's still 75 miles before reserve? So while thinking why it's doing that I go fill up. I'm sitting there filling up and once I see 3 gallons roll around on the pump I say to myself, " Oh that's why!" I've been short changing my tank by somewhere around half to 3/4 a gallon of gas!

Now lets see if I get 100 with this tank and smooth driving.

It doesn't seem to matter how I ride mine, smooth and easy or really romping on it, I only get 75~90 miles before my light comes on.
But, like you said, when the light comes on I find that I usually still have .5 to .8 gallons left.

Mine and most of my buddies maxes will take 3.15-3.2 gallons if "topped off" when the first hit the light, and get about 30-40 MPG. mine will get 100 miles, 32 mpg even if I try to get the worst mileage possible, I'm runnning 150 mains in it at sea level with no ill effects except more power. No burnt plugs or signs of DET yet. Several thousand miles now in this configuration.

Granted, mine is running like shyte and am getting the bike overhauled in a week. But 75 miles to the fuel light is spot on with my max

So far I've got 32 miles on this tank and from what the flashlight let me see there's a good deal left in the tank. No rolling burns or any hesitation. We'll see what monday or so brings

i wish my fuel light worked. i roll the trip meter back at every fuel stop.
I fuel at 65 miles . and it will take 2.5 to top it off. I have a stage 7 and lets just say.
I don't bring up the rear of the pack. so my math puts me at 26 mpg.

Factory stock, riding easy at 55- 70mph on the highway, I can go 120 to 130 miles til reserve light comes on. :eusa_dance:

At FULL HOOLIGAN, I have seen the light come on at 80. :punk:

I wonder if my riding being ALL city, stop and go every couple blocks, busy college town cross walks, douche bags on bikes trying to own the road, mass transit busses trying to either run you over or have you butt ram them.

75 is pretty low even by Max standards....that's like Gen2 bad. The absolute worst I've ever seen is reserve at 90 miles, and that was literally the entire tank at 100+ speeds, with a few cases of WOT for minutes at a time. Typically I get the light between 110-120, and have found the light means I have about a gallon left.

I can see 40-41mpg if I cruise at 75 and keep v-boosting to a minimum. Actually, I've found that cruising anywhere below v-boost range nets me about the same mileage, with the venture drive 6000RPM in 5th is around 105mph. Faster than that and the mileage accordingly takes a dump from 40 to about 30.

i wish my fuel light worked. i roll the trip meter back at every fuel stop.
I fuel at 65 miles . and it will take 2.5 to top it off. I have a stage 7 and lets just say.
I don't bring up the rear of the pack. so my math puts me at 26 mpg.

I'm thinking mine doesn't work either. Usually hit the pumps at 80-100 miles with a 2.5-3 gal fill up. I hate when I forget to roll the odo back, then gotta remember:ummm: what the #&@^$ ? how did I get 340 mile on the tank? oh, forgot to roll, crap where am I on the tank, dang, back to the pumps and ......
forget to roll it back again:bang head:
But I do know I'm avg 25 mpg or so, when I remember to roll back and divide:clapping:

I wonder if my riding being ALL city, stop and go every couple blocks, busy college town cross walks, douche bags on bikes trying to own the road, mass transit busses trying to either run you over or have you butt ram them.

SOunds like my commute, 75 is very average for me, and i ride 99% of the time in the city.

75 is pretty low even by Max standards....that's like Gen2 bad. The absolute worst I've ever seen is reserve at 90 miles, and that was literally the entire tank at 100+ speeds, with a few cases of WOT for minutes at a time. Typically I get the light between 110-120, and have found the light means I have about a gallon left.

I can see 40-41mpg if I cruise at 75 and keep v-boosting to a minimum. Actually, I've found that cruising anywhere below v-boost range nets me about the same mileage, with the venture drive 6000RPM in 5th is around 105mph. Faster than that and the mileage accordingly takes a dump from 40 to about 30.

that sounds kinda far-fetched. 90 miles while traveling at 100+ AND wot for min. at a time sounds like you'd be getting 50-60 miles a tank

It's all in the wrist twist. I can get to 115 miles till the light comes on or 90-100. Went 140 miles on a tank once when I got caught between gas stations, that's running on fumes.

I'm all stock and fill at 100 mi, hit the light at 117 once when I was out on the road..................

yep. that's why I got a Max ........ fuel economy :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I have yet to have someone ask me what I get for gas mileage when looking at this thing thats been discribed as a ' motor with two wheels and a seat '...:ummm:

I've been averaging 115 miles before the light comes on. This is after adjusting the carbs...sync is so important if the bike runs rough. It will take 3 gal to fill. The bike is stock with supertrapp slip ons.

Latest posts

Back