Maxing around town, what I've learned

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My summer ride best was 5 tankfulls at 48 mpg. Washinton, Canada, Idaho. 43-45 the rest of the trip. Marks 4into1 header. Carbs untouched.

I've had a high of 132 mpt but that was b/c I was 20 miles from nearest gas station, I was sweating bullets but made it without running out. I normally refill with 3.2 - 3.5 gals, sometimes I get 80+ miles and sometimes closer to 120 miles. I can trust my low fuel light/ switch to work as it has not failed me in over 18,000 miles but I still reset the odo just as a matter of habit. I have tried to see what kind of mileage I could wring out of a tankful but usually end up spoiling the light throttle use within the first 20 miles somehow. I have no self control!:biglaugh:

I did the same sweating bullets thing once with mine (although) I did have a one gallon can back up), on a trip in the Gaudalupe Mountains in West Texas, very sparsely populated area.

rode into Van Horn, Texas with 169 on the odometer, rode the second half of the trip at 50 mph or less, and took 3.89 gallons to top it.

A lot of you may already know if you stand the bike up and shake it it will burp the air out of the corners of the tank and you can get another quart or so of fuel in there which can be kind of handy in a pinch. I'd hate to walk as far as a quart will carry me on the bike........

I did the same sweating bullets thing once with mine (although) I did have a one gallon can back up), on a trip in the Gaudalupe Mountains in West Texas, very sparsely populated area.

rode into Van Horn, Texas with 169 on the odometer, rode the second half of the trip at 50 mph or less, and took 3.89 gallons to top it.

A lot of you may already know if you stand the bike up and shake it it will burp the air out of the corners of the tank and you can get another quart or so of fuel in there which can be kind of handy in a pinch. I'd hate to walk as far as a quart will carry me on the bike........
So true Rusty! I don't have my centerstand so I fill on the sidestand and since I have my front dropped 2" it stands "straighter" so if you nudge the bike you can get in a few more tenths of fuel. I normally fill up according to gas stations around here as they are mostly far and few between, sometimes 30-40 miles between any gas stations.

Really, I have never gotten anything worse than high 20's for mileage, even running the bike literally as hard as possible. Seem to remember when I filled up on that trip I had like 28mpg, or burning one gallon every 12-13 minutes at those speeds.

In other more embarassing words, I got about 30 miles from low-fuel light to dead-on-road, all at 100+. I wasn't paying so much attention to the mileage, blew by one exit, realized I had like 28 miles since reserve, and started hoping I'd make it to the next one. I didn't. I did coast for nearly a mile though when I ran out of gas at 135 and pulled the clutch in quick.

well i think my mileage would be better if I didn't do ALL city stop and go driving. I hit 75 again when the reserve light came on. I'm sure if I took the interstate a bit more I could squeeze out 100 or so before the light

Latest posts

Back