Morley jet kit mid range tuning stock needle... help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptnov

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to get morley jet kit working with stock needle at sealevel. The stock needle doesn't seem to have adjustment possibilities.

The bike pulls great with WOT at 5-7k, but when I'm not really full trottle, 2/3 of WOT maybe and going through 5-7K, it's very rough and there's a noticable powerdrop.

Currently using largest main of the set 165 mikuni with stock PAJ2, air correctors, PCV .

Someone earlier suggested using ordering even larger mains and using the 177.5 PAJ2. Would this work?

Thanks!

How is it above 7000? You can shim the needle with a small washer. Just make sure all your washers are the same thickness!

Dale #2592

Sounds fat on the mains but if WOT is good, then I would say the needle might need shimmed. Are you running the stock springs or stage 7? I had the same mid range stumble and after adding my A/F gauge, I found the needles were pulling too quick.....I put the stockers in and all is well.

Did you drill the slides?

I too am at sea level, running the Muscle Kit and I have never been able to get rid of the lean spot transition from the needle to the mains with stock needles. I love everything else about the stock needles and the mids are a beast. Believe me, I've tried everything to dial in the stock needles and have an obscene amount of time invested. I'm running stage 7 needles right now with my slides drilled with no issues with either transition. Bike runs fantastic, like an EFI motor.

How is it above 7000? You can shim the needle with a small washer. Just make sure all your washers are the same thickness!

Dale #2592
The bike is running good as long as i WOT. Think it's better hot when WOT though. I just installed the washers from Sean's kit haven't synced or tried it yet.

Sounds fat on the mains but if WOT is good, then I would say the needle might need shimmed. Are you running the stock springs or stage 7? I had the same mid range stumble and after adding my A/F gauge, I found the needles were pulling too quick.....I put the stockers in and all is well.

Just shimmed it. Haven't tried. I'm running shorty springs. I'll try using stock springs if this doesn't work! Thanks! :)

Did you drill the slides?

I too am at sea level, running the Muscle Kit and I have never been able to get rid of the lean spot transition from the needle to the mains with stock needles. I love everything else about the stock needles and the mids are a beast. Believe me, I've tried everything to dial in the stock needles and have an obscene amount of time invested. I'm running stage 7 needles right now with my slides drilled with no issues with either transition. Bike runs fantastic, like an EFI motor.

I didn't drill them. Read that it only was for quicker response?

Did you notice any difference in midrange? better or worse with stage 7 needles? I'll try to sort it out with stock before resorting to stage 7 :)

Just shimmed it. Haven't tried. I'm running shorty springs. I'll try using stock springs if this doesn't work! Thanks! :)
Try the stock springs in it and see what it does. It only takes a little while to throw them in!

I didn't drill them. Read that it only was for quicker response?

Did you notice any difference in midrange? better or worse with stage 7 needles? I'll try to sort it out with stock before resorting to stage 7 :)

With stock needles the midrange is very strong. I just couldn't get the the upper cross-over point together (needle to main jet). Always lean. Didn't notice it at WOT but would notice it when rolling on the throttle through the 5-7k range.

Stage 7 needles seem like they are designed more for good top end performance. The midrange is not terrible or anything with stage 7 needles, but I do like the mids with the stock needles.

I shimmed my stock needles about .040 if memory serves me correct.

i spent a lot of time trying to get a morley kit to work with a stock needle and it just wouldn't. needed a stage 7, altho a stage 1 might have worked as its a bit more aggressive and more adjustable.

I guess I gots to try me some stage 7 needles :eusa_dance: Mine isn't bad but i do feel that transition at times. I just keep it wot hahaha!
Anyone got a set for sale?

Dale #2592

I guess I gots to try me some stage 7 needles :eusa_dance: Mine isn't bad but i do feel that transition at times. I just keep it wot hahaha!
Anyone got a set for sale?

Dale #2592

i'd start with 1's see if you can get that working, it will keep it as lean as possible.

I have a set of stage 1 needles and I have the same issue with the stage 1's that I do with the stock needles.

With that being said, I'm not looking to sell my Stage 1's but I would definitely send them to you to try them out. If they work for you you could probably get a set from Morley or someone.

In my experience, they pretty much act like adjustable stock needles. Personally, I still like the stock needles the best for the mids..... LOL. I know that doesn't help you any.....

Our kits now include the stage sevens. I do have stage one needles for cheap if anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Back