Motorcycle rim/tire protectors

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut up a shampoo bottle or the corner of some old laundry detergent... It's like free. Dirt bike and adventure guys love them.

They may work for you, Eric, if you are going to use them with normal tire spoons. I was trying to use them in conjunction with my MoJo lever, and the lever was too much for them at the point when the tire going on gets to it's greatest resistance. And to be honest, the ones I had may not have been made of the same plastic, or the same thickness as these. The ones you've pictured are of a different color, at the very least. Mine were blue plastic, and shattered fairly easily.

They may work for you, Eric, if you are going to use them with normal tire spoons. I was trying to use them in conjunction with my MoJo lever, and the lever was too much for them at the point when the tire going on gets to it's greatest resistance. And to be honest, the ones I had may not have been made of the same plastic, or the same thickness as these. The ones you've pictured are of a different color, at the very least. Mine were blue plastic, and shattered fairly easily.

Ive seen those......they come from China.

I can't find a set like mine being offered currently - prolly an indicator that they were worthless.

I used some sections of garden hose split the long way.....it would hold up for a few changes....then I'd split some more. Changed GenII tires without leaving a scratch! :punk:

Thanks Danny. My back tire is PC'd and you can see marks where the last tire was changed. The place that I took it to, wasnt that careful.

We go through about 10 truck wheels a year (don't ask) anyway they all come with a VERY heavy pvc like bead protector to protect them during shipping. Have been using 6" pieces of that for years and have had good luck with it just about any place that sells car/truck/equipment wheels will have some they will probably give away. It's also usually 4-6 feet long and radiused for a 16,17,18,19.5,20,22.5 or24.5 truck wheel. Just a thought.

We go through about 10 truck wheels a year (don't ask) anyway they all come with a VERY heavy pvc like bead protector to protect them during shipping. Have been using 6" pieces of that for years and have had good luck with it just about any place that sells car/truck/equipment wheels will have some they will probably give away. It's also usually 4-6 feet long and radiused for a 16,17,18,19.5,20,22.5 or24.5 truck wheel. Just a thought.

Those sound like they'd be perfect! :punk:

They are definitely free and when someone borrows them and they don't come back you don't care so much.

I've used similar but just prefer to haul my wheels down to the local auto tire shop. If you tell them it's for a motorcycle they tend to freak out. If you tell them it's for your custom go cart they do it and it's cheap. Add in your dyna beads and you're done!

I was wondering if anyone has used anything like this, and whether or not they are effective?

Hey Traumahawk,

I have been using the K&L Rim Savers for years and years. They are made of nylon and in all those years and tire changes of use I have never damaged one let alone broke one. A lot of the "copy-cat" ones that are available are made of a different material or are thinner than the K&L ones and they do damage/break easily.

I'll stick with my K&L ones. They are sold in pairs on Ebay and other sources but I will usually use 3 or 4 at a time to limit how much I have to slide them into the "new" spoon location when changing a tire.

Here's the ones I have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-L-Supply-...ash=item5d612ca8db:g:N74AAOSwFMZWqVKF&vxp=mtr

John

Back