Muff Comparison

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
Tomorrow, I'm going to install my headers and juggle between two mufflers. I'll video both for a sound comparison and re photograph for a visual.

I'm juggling between a Carbon fiber can with 2" baffle from Kerker and an old school Suppertrapp with a 2.5" baffle and 12 discs.

Here they are before mounting.

Attachments

• Kerker.jpg
    Kerker.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 69
  • Supertrapp.jpg
    Supertrapp.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 66
I prefer the carbon fiber one. I say install both and let your ears decide!

Muff Comparison. Damn thought it was something else:biglaugh:.

Looking forward to sound files , that carbon does look nice..

Carbon Fiber Kerker no doubt!!

I just think the supertrapps need to stay on the pro street cars

I like the CF kerker look myself, I'm not a big fan of the megaphone style cans. Although I think they both would need some chrome finish to match the rest of the exhaust better IMO.

I guess I am the odd one I love the sound of my Max with supertrapps. :punk:

I have both, for now, on the '90 ( Kerker CF ) & '98 ( Trapp ). I have a Kerker for the ' 98 ready for install because of the better performance & sound. Hoo-rah for the small block Chevy with a cam & flowmasters.

I would say the CF Kerker can would look & sound better - I had the Kerker stock can and later put a Scorpion CF can and it sounded much better - that exhaust now resides on the Snowmax. Jim shortened the can and it looks even better than before.

Mike

Well, I got everything cleaned up. I'm going to have to have a new midpipe made up cause the supertrapp is actually bigger then the kerker.

A friend of mine is going to take care of it for me on the cheap.

I'm getting fluish, I quit and layed down. I'm running a temp of 103 and didn't feel like playing with the bike anymore for the day.

on a side note, while digging through the shed, I found a vintage 4-1, chrome header for a kz900/1000 without a scratch on it. eBay here it comes :biglaugh:

The video I'm making will have the following sounds:

Stock open pipes, open Kerker 4-2-1, Kerker 4-2-1 w/supertrapp can with 12 discs, Kerker 4-2-1 w/ Carbon Fiber can with 2" baffle.

If I'm feeling better, I'll have her up tomorrow night.

Well, I got everything cleaned up. I'm going to have to have a new midpipe made up cause the supertrapp is actually bigger then the kerker.

A friend of mine is going to take care of it for me on the cheap.

I'm getting fluish, I quit and layed down. I'm running a temp of 103 and didn't feel like playing with the bike anymore for the day.

on a side note, while digging through the shed, I found a vintage 4-1, chrome header for a kz900/1000 without a scratch on it. eBay here it comes :biglaugh:

The video I'm making will have the following sounds:

Stock open pipes, open Kerker 4-2-1, Kerker 4-2-1 w/supertrapp can with 12 discs, Kerker 4-2-1 w/ Carbon Fiber can with 2" baffle.

If I'm feeling better, I'll have her up tomorrow night.

That's a bummer KJ, wade thru the nasty Alaskan winter and get sick in the spring!! :bang head:

Hope ya feel better quickly! :punk:

That's a bummer KJ, wade thru the nasty Alaskan winter and get sick in the spring!! :bang head:

Hope ya feel better quickly! :punk:

tis the season, I thought I was going to get lucky this year. I have never been sick in the winter or summer. It has always been during the spring breakup. This morning I don't feel too bad, just run down. My temp is 101 so thats better, and I'm coughing up somthing that resembles escargot so thats a good thing that something is coming up. Been in the garage with the heat on and the doors closed. Maybe I can sweat this thing out.

I guess I am the odd one I love the sound of my Max with supertrapps. :punk:

I agree with you man. I'm running trapps with adjustable open-close end caps. IMO the Kerker 4-2-1 sounds good. But with the trapps being 4-2 and dual muffs sounds MUCH better IMO. To each his own:eusa_dance:

Well here is the video. I ended up cutting the front loop off my braced swingarm. turns out it didn't clear the Kerker. it isn't COO's fault, it was the guy on eBay that I got it from. He said it would clear a Kerker and I believed him. so hell, I'ts my fault. I'm thinking now thats why he got rid of it. No big deal, over winter I'm going with Sean's 6 over.

I have to say I'm not sold on the Kerker's sound. I like the 2.5" supertrapp much better. To me its just flat out a cleaner sound when mated with the Kerker 4-2-1 header. The kerker looked Okay on the bike, way to long for my taste. So it will be going on eBay tomorrow if a friend of mine up here dosn't want it.

A comment Yankee made gave me an idea on mounting the supertrapp. I'm going to hit up the tube bender and make a new mid pipe for it. Pics to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33-PyY9TaZ4

Last edited:
i'll probably end up with it if you put it on ebay lol. Make sure you list it for vmax with the midpipe and it should bring more (and maybe more then I would give for it even).

Sean

I like the Kerker sound better, but the Supertrapp does have a more clean mellow sound. Too bad you don't have the 4 into 2 header, then you could run both mufflers, one on each side. It would be the best of both worlds!

Back