My oil analysis

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki66

Reaction score
Hello all, I just had my first used oil analysis done on my Max. I am disturbed by the results. Maybe time for new oil? I like the way my bike shifts with the Rotella T15W40.
Miles on engine: 8600
Miles on oil: 1500

Should I switch to the Rotella synthetic, or just do an oil change as recommended with Rotella T?

OIL.jpg

That's disturbing indeed! How did you get the oil analysis done, and how much does it cost?

Are they also able to test/read how much the oil broke down in terms of lubricant molecules?

I sent a sample to the lab on my last oil change. Cost is $22.50. Sounds steep, but if I can correct any internal indications of problems before they show there ugly face, then it is well spent money. You can pay extra for a TBN test & that will tell you what your total base number is left in your lubrication properties of your oil.
They will send you the sample bottles. Look in order section.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/motorcycle.html

That's great stuff. I will do it at my next oil change to see what's going on - I use the same oil (Shell Rotella-T 15W40)

I got the bike in august last year with 37k on the clock and the PO said he'd just changed the oil. I put fresh oil + filter in anyway at about 38.5k, and changed the oil again last month at just over 41k.
I'm now getting near 43k, and was planning on oil + filter between 43.5 and 44k.

I thought an oil that's good enough for very high mileage in a diesel motor should be good enough for 2500-3000 miles in a Max (I don't race it), but analysis will most definitely be interesting to look at.

That and the fact that the Vmax Owner's Manual calls for oil+filter change every 8000 miles, so as long as the oil's doing its job right 4000 miles should still be twice as often as Yamaha recommends.. :ummm:

Here are the results of an oil test. Some of you have probably seen this.

could be biased. Notice how amsoil appears to have the best results.

Although i use Amsoil. There is an aquaintance of mine that had a 212hp/150tq vmax. He tried a few different oils, all synthetic, and they all foamed except the Amsoil. Also some of the other oils had more clutch slippage and some had less. For synthetic oils, the Amsoil seemd better than most on the clutch slippage, therefore he choose Amsoil after his highly scientific testing. And that was change oil, get it hot by riding it hard and check oil. Then repeat. This was done in a weekend. If I remember correctly he used six different oils.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/streetbikes/WhitePaper.aspx

You need to check to see what Rotella has in it from the start to get a better understanding of what you have there IMO.

I run the 5W40 in both my bikes.

I don't test the oil though. Ignorance is bliss IMO. Motor has to come out either way so...

I don't test the oil though. Ignorance is bliss IMO. Motor has to come out either way so...

i hear ya... i've been using yama lube and still have a new gallon left so i'll use that and then read the oil thread, which i'm sure is epic.

I do agree eith you that ignorance is bliss, but I did test my oil & now I know. Now the thinking starts.

Just thinking aloud here - did the testing laboratory have a fresh Shell Rotella-T 15W40 sample to compare the original content with what your sample showed?

NG, that is a great question. So I emailed the lab and asked them the same thing. Here is there response: [Kevin: Thanks for the e-mail. Yes, we have seen samples of virgin Rotella T 15W/40, so we know what it looks like to start with, however, this information doesn't appear on the report, so if you want to see what it looks like to start with, you will need to send in a sample of the virgin oil. We don't need this to run your used oil.]
I have sent in virgin samples in the past with oil form my truck. So I dug out the old reports and found that allot of the catagories had zero's in them, therefor showing nothing.

I have done another oil change now. I have switched oils and I am now using Rotella T 5w40 synthetic. I am very pleased on how my bike has responded to it. The engine seems to have less internal noise, trans shifts very nice. I think that this a superior oil to the normal blend.

"I have done another oil change now. I have switched oils and I am now using Rotella T 5w40 synthetic. I am very pleased on how my bike has responded to it. The engine seems to have less internal noise, trans shifts very nice. I think that this a superior oil to the normal blend."

Kev...

Any sign of clutch slippage using that brand synthetic?... Have you tried to 'force' slippage to see if it will?... I have shyed away from synth's, because of the slippage problems that others have had trying to use them.

Amsoil seems to be pretty much ok with wet clutches...but WAY more pricey than Rotella... Lemme know what you find out...

Thanks, Philthy

So far, so good with the clutch. I put 225 miles on since the oil change. I have not tried the slip test that I have seen on here, but I did have a few hard launches. Works good. 4gasem has been running this oil as well. I tried it based on his recommendation.
I will run this oil for 1500 miles, and then send in another sample. I will post those results later.

I ran the 5W40 in both my bikes last year with NO issues. You WILL have issues with "energy conserving" oils like used in cars.

I had mine on the dyno last year with it and you'd have seen the slip in the sheet if it had.

I'll use it again this year!

Chris

Thanks Kev and Chris for that info...

I like the idea of synth, maybe I'll try some in the near future. From what I hear though, once you start using it, you can't go back to basic oil, without possibly creating internal problems...

True or false?

Philthy

Thanks Kev and Chris for that info...

I like the idea of synth, maybe I'll try some in the near future. From what I hear though, once you start using it, you can't go back to basic oil, without possibly creating internal problems...

True or false?

Philthy

FALSE! The 5W40 isn't TRUE synthetic anyway. It's a VERY pure dino with syn additives. TRUE syns are Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, Motul.

I/we have finally figured out why the levels of lead were elevated in my oil samples. They had asked about fuel additives that I use, and I told them that I use Seafoam, and also Sta-bil. I use Sta-bil when I am away at work and my Max sits for weeks at a time. They requested a sample of the Sta-bil, that they would test at no charge. The results found that the Sta-bil had 5ppm lead. This subtracted from my totals found in my analysis puts everything into normal perameters. I have to say that Blackstone Labs is a top-notch company. They were concerned about my problems, and went above and beyond to solve the problems.

Latest posts

Back