Name That Problem!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarriorR6

Reaction score
Ok I am going to try and have some fun with this. I had to have my bike towed to a dealer Saturday afternoon. I'll note what happen, symptoms and what my bike has and see who can people Dr. House and diagnose the problem. Now, the bike was only brought in late Saturday and the dealer is closed on Mondays so I won't probably know for sure for a couple of days.

Here we go: Saturday morning I took the bike to work to test some new jetting. I stop to get some gas and headed out to the local "testing" road. I did a few runs in 2nd gear from 2k WOT and few runs in 4th gear 4k WOT and headed home. While stopped at a traffic light I felt my cell vibrating on my hip. It vibrated repeatly so I knew it was my wife trying to reach me so I pulled over on the side of the road the to pick it up. I shut down the bike to answer the call. When I done with the call I tried to start the bike back up and nothing. I turned the key off and tried again, nothing. Did even sound like it was trying to turn over. I test the horn and it was weak, so I thought battery. I called a buddy to bring me some cables and give me a jump. It won't jump. I tried to bipass the battery and tried to go directly thru the starter and still nothing. We tried to push start it and it turned over. I rode it back to his car to get my gear on and head home. While putting every thing together the bike started to heat up so I turn the fan (I have the separate switch) and the bike died. We attempted to push start it again, but we unsuccessful. It sounded like it wanted to turn over but won't. We kept trying put to with no luck, although I think we are ready for the 2014 2 man bobsled team now.

This is what the bike has:
The bike is an 89 with 6k miles
Odyssey Battery - installed in December.
COPs
R1 Regulator installed in Jan.
4 pole starter (installed in Jan for a salvaged 07)
crimp fix done (sorry Dan)

If you have an other questions, feel free to ask. Once I know exactly what it is I will let you know. Thanks.

When you say, "we tried to jump it through the starter and still nothing" What do you mean by nothing? No start? OR No turnover?

That's not good! What happens if you pull the spark plugs out and try to turn it over? Could be many things, including a bad ground.

That's not good! What happens if you pull the spark plugs out and try to turn it over? Could be many things, including a bad ground.

Couldn't get as far as pulling the plugs out. All I had was what was in the tool bag. I was out in the sticks and it was getting to the point where I had to make the call to get it towed or let it sit. Would you like to throw out your best guess based on the limited information? Like I said, it will get the final diagnoses at the shop but I figured I let the forum take a crack at it with based on the information I could give. I appreciate you checking in.

Check R/R or my guess is a exposed wire is grounding out. Have to go through and check all wires carefully

Check R/R or my guess is a exposed wire is grounding out. Have to go through and check all wires carefully

One for R/R or exposed wire ground out. Thanks for playing "Name That Problem". The only game show that the host pays to get the right answer revealed. LOL

Well, I kinda feel like my brain is empty now R6, but let me think about it some more.

I have another guess coming, right......I mean, I was misled with incomplete information....right? :rofl_200:

Sure, why not. The producer of this game is making the rules up as we go along, LOL.

i still wouldn't rule out a bad battery, but unlikely.

Just need a clarification of the term "Turn over". Not sure if you mean engine firing and running on its own or just turning the crank and not firing.

not sure yet. the first and second times u were trying to start it. would the headlights/horn all work? lights work? would the starter turn or not? did you have spark? did the starter sound solid?

Ok, so the engine turns but doesn't start. Weak horn (my horn sounds weak, but just cause it is junk and not due to battery) sound. Has spark, unless I read the post wrong. Just rejetted carbs. Did it run rough at all just prior to this? Trying to piece together a puzzle without knowing the picture on the front of the box is tough LOL. I have the beginnings of a working theory, but need to think a bit more. Not as a guess, but did you check your fuses? You know what.... put me in for a corroded connector in the harness!!

Back