Napa thermostat (what did I do wrong this time?)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fan circuit doesn't use relays. It's powered directly from the battery.

OK no I didn't. Are you referring to a 2-terminal switch, or a three-terminal one? Most all the switches I see for sale have three terminals on them. How would that work?

Jenn, it a two-terminal temperature switch behind the right-hand cowl, it's mounted into the cooling system and flicks the fan on when the coolant gets hot enough.

That's the switch I reckon may be more of a culprit than the thermostat for your hot running. That or your Max's just blushing ;-)

Coffee Coffee you scare me when you start breaking out the vaseline and big tools.... would it be safe that you are also wearing gloves?

Anyways.. Stop playing around with that damn bike and give it a rest...

The VMAX temp gauge is as accurate as a 2.99 micrometer with a made in china sticker.. I just got a call from one that just installed one of my gauge clusters and he told me his gauge didnt really ever get hot.. once he installed my gauges he quickly realized that he was running over 200 quickly..... no problem he just flipped on the manual switch that is built in to the assmebly.. anyways enough about him and your cream puff of a motorcycle that tests your patiences...

You did good with the thermostat:clapping: I think... what temp did ya get hopefully a 190 or your pissing in the wind... can women do that :confused2: anyways... 190 thermo and wire you up a manual fan switch if ya need help with wiring which its real simple... REALLY simple to wire one up, hell ya can even do this job if your fucked up as a football bat on tekillya
Use some water wetter and ride that bike already!!

Jenn, you can use 3 pole switches too. The configuration of the switch will determine what the poles do. If it's a lighted switch one will be ground, power in and power out. Though the switch would work you would only use 2 of the prongs and the switch will not light up. You need an even more basic switch.

Sean

OK Yeah I understand, I went across town and found a two-pole switch small enough to do the job. Cute, even.

I remember the two-wire connector to the fan switch, which of its two terminals do I hook to which of the switch's two poles?

Lankee keep your damn pole to yourself.....and don't worry, I'm riding the everloving dog crap out of the bike. Next up is the scheduled maintenance on the Concours, which involves a (gasp) valve adjust, but I've done half dozen times and it's not hard any more.

Only one bike can go in garage at a time, so I'm riding the Vmax! And the old Honda.

Thanks for the information, as soon as I know which wire goes where on the new switch, I may just put that on tonight! This switch says it's 20 amp, is that enough?

The only difference in which way you wire it is which way turns the override on or off. You could even wire the two wires together if you wanted it on all the time. Basically the switch just completes a ground circuit.

Sean

Great, got it. Thanks!

12V electrics are way above what I can comprehend. But this should be easy enough....

Well keep off the 110V then! :biglaugh::rofl_200::clapping:

I seriously considered shutting down the main breaker in the house before I unplugged the dryer to lube the drum bearing, I'm that nervous about it....

Awwwwww crap. I said "lube." Lankee'll be on here any minute posting about lube and electric...accessories....

hmm yea, between the lube and the comments about Sean's tool you're gettin' in deeper water fast - better run quick when Lankee comes back LOL

Ohh boy,, I see we are trying to complicate things here... Just get ya a simple toggle switch.... one wire to the fuse block for the 12+ and the other wire to the fan switch.. Baddda Bing !! this job should take no longer then it takes to put your rubber gloves on..

I am just waiting for her to post that she keeps blowing a fuse and thinks she has a short some where... Dont worry I have no problem removing shorts.... electrical that is :eusa_dance:

Naaah, couldn't get to it. It was happy hour Newcastle night so I rode the bike over to the pub with some riding buddies. But I understand what to do so I'm going to try for it tomorrow night. Also, I forgot to buy the right connectors this morning. Typical. :bang head:

Naaah, couldn't get to it. It was happy hour Newcastle night so I rode the bike over to the pub with some riding buddies. But I understand what to do so I'm going to try for it tomorrow night. Also, I forgot to buy the right connectors this morning. Typical. :bang head:

Ok I am going to wing this and try and make your life a lil easier. I would say I feel sorry for you for all the shit you been through with your valve adjustment... but ya seem like a tough cookie so no pissing pitty party rather I am going to send you pictures of my bike stripped down nakid (bike I stated) since its involved in some projects,, yes I know should have been done before the picture shoot but here goes.... Remember keep this simple..
get ya a simple toggle switch with 2 terminals on it.. Dont get one with anymore (remember KISS Keep It Simple Silly) You dont need a fancy one that lights up or any kind of kiddy shit like in the fast and furious..
Can you solder? hmm I hope dont use cheap crimp ons it wont work! Solder Gun,,., goto youtube.com and type in how to solder... ok moving along.......
Got your soldering gun (remember to not to pick up the wrong end) 60/40 light solder
Toggle Switch with 2 terminals
Ok now look at the toggle switch.. Middle terminal will be a red wire about 3 ft long for now solder the red on the middle terminal....
The other terminal will be any other color blue green, purple hell pick a color pink for all i giv a shit..
Yupp solder it on and inhale the resin smoke and now blow a smoke ring! Ahh very nice!
Ok now mount the switch some where..... plastic neck cover.. key side... left side whatever floats your boat pick hell duct tape it to the speedo "Aint My Ride" ok moving along

Remove the right side scoop Woo Lahhh ok now look where you put the anti freeze in at.. below is the temp senor Yeah this is what measures the tempature and sends a signal saying "Ok mr fan turn on I am getting hot" engine is getting hot not me.. but if ya dont pay attention I will get mad so focus......
Remove the 2 pin plug from the sensor... I splice the wire about an inch hold it against the terminal and slide the connector back on.. simple (and this has worked for me now over 6 yrs)
Last but not least the red wire which goes to your fuse terminal I removed the top one once again splice about 3/4 of an inch stick the wire in the terminal and now place the fuse in.. Done deal works with the key so you wont kill the batttery by leaving your fan on when ya park your bike....:clapping: this whole job start to finish 30 minutes TOPS!! another 20 minutes to make it look purty!
Leaves the valves alone on that bike!

Attachments

• Temp Sensor.jpg
    Temp Sensor.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Fuse Wiring.jpg
    Fuse Wiring.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 56
Fantastic post Lankee.

Crap, as soon as I get home from work, my buddy calls up all crying, she says her recent ex (who she really cares about) just got diagnosed with terminal cancer, he's 31, an Army warrant officer. Can she come over because she needs to talk?

Well she just left, spent all evening bawling over the guy. And let me tell you, he's a real douche and a hateful selfish sonofabitch and I really can't make myself care very much, but nobody deserves this. I just had to keep quiet and let her bawl.

If there was such a thing as karma, though, this guy had it coming to him. But I wouldn't wish such an illness on anybody.

The instructions are great, I really appreciate you posting that. I'll get it, just gotta do the whole buddy thing....

Cancer is some nasty stuff! Ohh well shit happens really. Ive learned your delt a hand of cards in life and ya cant do a damn thing about it but how you play them.. Ok enough of life and other BS..

Water Wetter has also helped me about 7-10 degrees cooler along with my 190 thermo and manual fan.. My temp never sees over 195 in the heat of summer in traffic sitting.
Water Wetter can be purchased at Pep Boys Orielys ETC. Clear bottle and its a hmm well PINK color..

It works..

Fantastic post Lankee.

Crap, as soon as I get home from work, my buddy calls up all crying, she says her recent ex (who she really cares about) just got diagnosed with terminal cancer, he's 31, an Army warrant officer. Can she come over because she needs to talk?

Well she just left, spent all evening bawling over the guy. And let me tell you, he's a real douche and a hateful selfish sonofabitch and I really can't make myself care very much, but nobody deserves this. I just had to keep quiet and let her bawl.

If there was such a thing as karma, though, this guy had it coming to him. But I wouldn't wish such an illness on anybody.

The instructions are great, I really appreciate you posting that. I'll get it, just gotta do the whole buddy thing....

Back