Need new rear tire...help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowprophet1

Reaction score
Well, I know for a fact now that I played at the strip, there is no way my tire will pass inspection next time around! I am currently running stock rubber (2000 vmax). With the same stock rims, what tire does everybody recommend? I only ride 1,000 ish miles a year (because I live in Erie and the weather sucks) and would like a tire that can perform a little better at the strip. What is everyones favorite for this situation? THANKS!!!!! Marc.:punk:

Get a spare wheel and put a tire on that's strictly for the strip , change back to street tire after your strip runs.

Also remember that the Metzeler's only H-rated (130mph), whereas the Shinko is V-rated (correct rating for V-Max).
Of course, not many spend much time above 130mph, but at the race track it's prolly a good idea to go V-rated.
The ME-880 will outlast the T230 big time on the street though, so the idea of a shinko wheel for drag and a metzeler wheel for street makes a lot of sense.
And guess what - I have a spare wheel too!

I really like the Avon AM42 in the factory size. I am not that easy on the bike and will get 14,000 miles out of it before I replace it this winter (have about 13,500 on it now). Looks great and is fairly sticky.

That's twice the mileage I got from my rear Shinko (7k). It makes sense price wise.

Is that the straight AM42 - V-rated? I can see that the 170/80 comes in only H-ratings, so does the reinforced versions. But that 150/90-15 comes V-rated in blackwall for $160.

Also I do like the pattern on the Avon a lot better. Are you saying it sticks good? Have you ridden a Shinko for comparison? How is it in the wet?

And what do you do for a front? Can you get this tire in 110/90-18 as well?

Well, my 2000 vmax just turned 10,000 miles when I was at the strip, so if I can get 7K out of the rear tire, I'm good for a few years! So far the Shinko sounds pretty good. I never heard of them before this website. I wonder if my dealer can get them. Thanks guys! My one buddy mentioned a real sticky Avon, but I forget the special name it was called. Of course, I already picked up a spare rear rim just in case I picked up a real sticky tire for play, and put the mileage tire back on for street. I like this site...seems a lot of people think like me!:clapping:

when you order from bikebandit they charge like $20 oversized shipping fee, but only once per order, so order both if you can, it will save u $20 down the road.

Before I ordered them yesterday, I compared Competition Accessories, Bike Bandit and Motorcycle Superstore. BB and MCS were the cheapest and within a dollar of each other. Total for both front and rear came to just under $135.

I don't really need them just yet but figured I'd get them while they were on sale.

-

Thanks for the heads-up Bro. Thankfully these are mfg'd in South Korea so we're good until they decide to tax those shipments as well.

-

It has been my experience......

That anything done to artificially raise the price of a certain company or country's product.......

Raises the price of ALL the competing product......

Because they can......

Shinko....... and any other brand........will raise their prices to maintain the same percentage spread.....and make more profit:bang head:

That's twice the mileage I got from my rear Shinko (7k). It makes sense price wise.

Is that the straight AM42 - V-rated? I can see that the 170/80 comes in only H-ratings, so does the reinforced versions. But that 150/90-15 comes V-rated in blackwall for $160.

Also I do like the pattern on the Avon a lot better. Are you saying it sticks good? Have you ridden a Shinko for comparison? How is it in the wet?

And what do you do for a front? Can you get this tire in 110/90-18 as well?

I went with the H speed rated in the 150 size. The AM41 (the matching front) does not come in the 110, but the AM26 Road Rider comes in the 110 size, which is what I got. The AM41 comes in a 100 90 18 and I will probably consider that the next time I need a front tire. I have not ridden a Shinko equipped Max. For clarification I am not easy on my bike (burnouts, drag racing, etc.) but most of my miles are from every day riding back and forth to work. I think the traction in wet is OK, (I haven't wrecked the bike yet) but I have never pushed it on wet pavement.

If you drag race in official quarter mile , the taller the better since the transition from 4th to 5th is so undecidable and such a very very very fine line at the track ! I some times leave it in fourth and border line redline and some time i shift into 5th .it is such a fine line of shifting into 5th and loseing time i prefer to go with the taller tire and keep it in 4th gear !!!! michelin commander 170 /80 about a inch taller which is perfect for the track and 4th gear!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back