need some help with a stubborn fork

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specs95t

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in the middle of replacing the fork fluid on my VMax - and one of the forks is collapsed and will not come back out. I have not removed the bottom allen bolts, hoping that I could swap the fluid from the top, after removing top cap, spring etc.

I can spin the inner tube, but it obviously has some vacuum built up at the bottom.

I have tried filling it with fluid (and then spinning, pulling etc.) but this does not seem to help.

In Sean's front fork re-assembly video, he does a karate chop which seems to unstick the fork - I tried that - with no positive results...

One thought is to put the top cap back on and put some air pressure into the fork...

Any advice is appreciated!

What year is your bike? if it's a 95 or earlier then you should have a drain screw on the lower section that you could remove. I would imagine you know this but from your specs95t name, I wasn't sure if you might have a 95.

Just found your other post, 2001. Never mind.

Matt

I got it unstuck this morning!

For future reference, a 3/8" extension through the bottom bolt holes works great as a step on holder. Latex gloves ensure that you can latch on to the top tube. Then slow steady increasing pulling pressure eventually creates a beautiful slurping sound and unsticks it!

Thanks for your inputs!

Now about that karate chop...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I have the same problem, the other fork worked out fine, this one I was dumping and pumping the tube slowly, oil coming out, then I guess I went too low, now its stuck, you can hear the damper rod spring, and there is some play up and down, I was able to break loose the allen bolt under the fork leg. of course it spins around with the rod, guess I'll either have to find a shop that has this type tool to loosen everything up and get screwed in the labor, or try to find the tool myself, which is an ass pain, cannot find the exact tool by part number, there are tools out there but not the type I need. I tried the extension thru the axle hole and stepped on it, and pulled up on the tube, no joy. Any other suggestions fellows?

It's been awhile since I worked on one, but did you have what looks like a 12 pt. top on the other damper rod? Then you can find a bolt that fits into it, and double nut it, then use a deep socket & extension, and a breaker bar or another ratchet on the top, w/a male allen socket & ratchet on the bottom, and remove the allen bolt in the bottom that way. Some guys whittle a broom handle or a fat wood dowel to where they can drive it into the top of the damper rod to stop it from turning.

Well, I have the same problem, the other fork worked out fine, this one I was dumping and pumping the tube slowly, oil coming out, then I guess I went too low, now its stuck, you can hear the damper rod spring, and there is some play up and down, I was able to break loose the allen bolt under the fork leg. of course it spins around with the rod, guess I'll either have to find a shop that has this type tool to loosen everything up and get screwed in the labor, or try to find the tool myself, which is an ass pain, cannot find the exact tool by part number, there are tools out there but not the type I need. I tried the extension thru the axle hole and stepped on it, and pulled up on the tube, no joy. Any other suggestions fellows?

when you look down into the tube, really cannot tell the design as you mention, I understand what you mean, all you can see is the very bottom and the bottom of the allen bolt. Im at a loss for now, I dread going to the dealer for this, providing they even have the tool. I know how to do fork stuff, but this issue is kicking my ass. Why in hell did it stick? does not seem to be a suctioning problem. Its like it was notched or something.

Option 1. Mount back in the triple tree, put the axle in. Step on the axle. This is pending your jack setup is rock solid

Option 2. Put soft jaws in your vise. Put axle in fork. Clamp axle in vise. Grab fork tube and pull out in a slide hammer motion.

Option 3. Break out the impact gun. Remove the damper rod bolt. Remove damper rod. That might help release some of the suction.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You should be able to see down the tube, to see the top of the damper rod. You could try a fiber-optic camera, too.

Got it all apart, I used the wooden stick method since the allen bolt was loose alrdy. Able to pull all the bits out and the seal looks good, also that hard to pull clip!! But I still have a problem, according to the actual factory manual, which I have a copy of, there is a whitish plastic piece at the other end of the tube, and you can tell it goes in only one way, also a bushing of a sort on top of it. plus, another small spring came out too, not the damper rod spring, its bigger, the same size in diameter as the main OEM spring. Anyway, put it all back together, still stuck at the bottom, so, the whitish round thing and the bushing above it is causing the sticking from what I can tell. Fuuny too, the little spring that came out, the manual does not say a thing about it. The exploded diagram shows the parts in their order, but not that spring, I'll be damn if I take the other working fork apart to see if it has the same inventory. Now, is there some place I can send this mess out to have it put back together in working order? It kicked my ass alrdy. pls advise, appreciate the feedback. Scott

album.php

Are you trying to pull it back out with fluid in it, or is it dry?

When I had the problem, I am pretty sure that I had some fluid in it - which would provide some lubrication for the seals when you finally do break the vacuum.

Also, when I finally broke the vacuum, it happened as a result of slowly increasing pull pressure along with some twisting of the inner slide.

The collapsed fork was certainly a PITA. Be methodical. Make sure you get a solid handhold that will not slip and wear latex gloves for maximum traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted pics, but they're not showing up, just that small sq. icon. I see that a lot thru out the forum, what else do I need to do?

The fork assembly video I have out there shows most of how this all goes together.

Hi Sean,
I know this. Your video is good, but the white piece you drop in the tube? Mine is stuck in the bottom as you can see in my pic, its in there pretty good, its obvious it comes out one way. What is that little spring? not sure what to do now. how about I send you all the stuff, you assemble for me for a price? At this point, I'd rather not mess with it anymore.

Back