New battery Vs Starter clutch...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_NST

Reaction score
Had a quick search on the forum couldnt quite get the answer i was looking for.

2007 vmax. NEVER had starter issues. been cool this spring, original battery.

today at lunch i wanted to take the bike to work. it cranked slowly kicked back once or twice, then the starter spun freely. happened twice at lunch. left the bike, bought an oddessy pc680 after work, (ouch $225), but now starts like a friggin champ. its never turned over so fast... i restarted the bike at least 30 times and it never did it again.

My question is...

now that i have a new battery in it, should i be concerned about the starter clutch? keep in mind its ONLY EVER done the kick back thing to me, today, EVER!!!

im hoping to not worry about it, but ive read the horror stories and just need some piece of mind. Thanks everyone....

PEACE,
evan....

I'd wait. If it d
oes it again them might be worth it to inspect it.

I wouldnt worry, sounds like you nipped it in the bud ,and even if you do need to replace it down the rd its easy.

Evan- A few Vmax owners much more knowledgeable than me have said that starter clutch problems, particularly those involving older style starter motors, are due largely from attempting to start the bike with a poorly-charged battery. The low rpm - long crank times before ignition are a real strain on the clutch components.
You did well to replace the battery, keep your bike in a good state of tune, so that it fires up with as little effort as necessary.
Cheers!
p.s. also probably a good idea to lubricate/clean the starter button switch as well. Lots of folks lately have mentioned switches sticking, or not energizing the starter relay. Good "Preventative Maintenance" practice!:punk:

I think it should be okay as well its just reassuring to hear some opinions. good advice on the starter switch....
thanks everyone...

peace,
evan.....

I think it should be okay as well its just reassuring to hear some opinions. good advice on the starter switch....
thanks everyone...

peace,
evan.....
i MY "06" DID THE SAME THING , 2-3 YEARS AGO I PUT IN THE SAME BATTERY AS YOU , AND I NEVER HAD THAT NOISE AGAIN ! ... IT WAS JUST SPINNING SO SLOW THAT IT WAS KICKING BACK JUST LIKE A RACE CAR WITH THE TIMING WAY ADVANCED ! .. DON'T GIVE IT A SECOND THOUGHT 1 . :punk:

i agree with the posts above too. its pretty easy to inspect the clutch, much bigger deal to take it apart if you had to just take off the stator cover and check if the bolts are loose. but yea i wouldn't worry unless it happens again.

My '06 was doing the same thing. Installed an Odyssey pc680 battery, no problems....for a few weeks. Now it's making that nasty grinding noise again when i try to start it. Guess it's time to pull the flywheel.

Latest posts

Back