NEW ENGINE bad sounds...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcoh4424

Reaction score
hi guys. got my 05 engine in my bike finally after months of saving up. Only has 4150 documented miles on it from pinwall cycles. Here is my problem. The other day my fuel light was on so i stopped into BP to get gas. Well when i started my bike up my oil light was on. I left the bike running, looked through the site glass oil level was fine. No oil leaking from the bike. Went to take off and it made a horrible sound(sounded like the front two cylinders?) like something was flying around my engine or like the engine wasnt pumping oil!! SO i shut the bike off. Turned the key forward on and off couple of X's and oil light still on. Towed the bike home turn the key, fired it up for one sec, NO problem. ANy ideas whatsoever what it might be? I, very concerened bc i just bought the freaking engine? I was very carful not to let anything fall into the engine while i had it. BUT pinwall when i picked it up had no kind of covers over the exposed cylenders, maybe something is inside?
WHAT SHOULD I DO???:bang head:

Drain the oil and see if there is any crap in it. Better yet, drop the oil pan and see if anything is in there.

Mike

Dang!, nothing blocking the intake or exhaust ports I am sure when you got it then! How hard would it be to stuff some rag or papertowel in there when they pulled the motor. Safest thing I say is pop the clutch cover so you can hand turn it with a rachet and listen and feel for something. Perhaps that won't move the offending loose piece. You gotta see if there is something floating on top of the pistons. An errant nut or washer won't take long to trash a head, piston and cylinder. Got access to one of those fancy pinpoint cameras with a light on a flexible stem? Pulling heads would be most effective but maybe just pull exhaust then rachet the crank so you can put a magnetic probe in each cylinder and hope to find something ferrous (magnetic) in there like a screw, nut or washer. Today I am happy I am NOT you! Let us know what happens. :ummm:

Keep in mind the oil light is only a LEVEL light and not a pressure light. So, if it's on and it's full then either a bad sensor or shorted wire.

Sean

i was gonna say the same thing as Sean. One of my oil sensor lights also reversed polarity (but never want back) as well.

Well, the easy thing to do would be to start it up and ride a bit and see if it still does it.

The hard thing to do would be to drop the exhaust, drop the pan, check the oring on the oil delivery elbow, check for any pieces in the pan, and do as Patmax suggested and scope the bores and put a magnet in there.

There are a few different ways to turn the engine over. Remove stator insert and turn the bolt under there or, put bike in 5th gear remove plugs and turn rear wheel or, disable ignition or at least remove and ground plugs and hit the start button.

im going to drain the oil first. i understand vmaxs have the oil light come on under hard acelation. i also understand if it was on a hill maybe that would cause it to come on....but that wouldnt explain the sounds i heard. THe only other theory i have is maybe the oil pump isnt working? THe motor the bike come from was wrecked. THe front circle cover on the right side of the engine( forward of the rear brake lever) has surface scratches on it so maybe its possible they ar more than surface and maybe damnaged the oil pump? if that even is the oil pump?

im going to drain the oil first. i understand vmaxs have the oil light come on under hard acelation. i also understand if it was on a hill maybe that would cause it to come on....but that wouldnt explain the sounds i heard. THe only other theory i have is maybe the oil pump isnt working? THe motor the bike come from was wrecked. THe front circle cover on the right side of the engine( forward of the rear brake lever) has surface scratches on it so maybe its possible they ar more than surface and maybe damnaged the oil pump? if that even is the oil pump?

That cover houses the water pump.

Maybe want to try start engine and use a stethoscope to try to pinpoint where the noise is isolated to.

Mike

What about the infamous "O-ring"?

If it were blown out, even partially, would the top of the engine starve for oil?

Maybe something in the water pump? For the cost of a gasket, I would drain the antifreeze and pull the pump if nothing found in the oil or pan.

hun? , which O ring would that be?

There is a semi known problem (known well to the guys in here, not so much so to those outside of this forum) regarding the O-ring

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1108&highlight=ring
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=13419&highlight=ring

If this o-ring blows out, then a good portion of the discharge from the oil pump will be circulated directly back to the oil pan without ever passing through the engine.

Both Sean Morley and Cycle One Off have solutions for this issue.

Back