New EU motorbike laws

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpclynch

Reaction score
There is an anti-bike regulation moving through the EU legislative process !!! The EU Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO) will vote on it between the 4th and 6th Oct, then it goes to Parliament.

The main issues are:
1 - The Anti tampering Regulation: Specifically Article 18 which wants to stop all modifications to complete power train, from airbox to controlling the rear tyre profile.
2 - Compulsory ABS
3 - Article 52: "If systems, components or seperate technical units on a list in a delegated act to this regulation, have a dual use, for vehicles intended exclusively for racing on roads and for vehicles intended for use on public roads, they may not be sold or offered for sale to consumers"
So if your K&N filter can fit a CBR race bike and a CBR road bike, the best way to police that, is to make it illegal to sell the filter.
4 - Headlights always on
5 - On Board Diagnostics, so that easy roadside checks can be made of our emissions and so that constant readouts of engine performance can be obtained. Expensive, complicated and the ability to identify past riding style...
6 - The proposal to ban all bikes over 7 years old from an urban area and to make the wearing of day-glo/reflective clothing compulsory.

As it is a 'Framework Regulation' once passed it does not have to be transposed into Law in Individual EU Member States, as it will happen automatically.

There are more EU Directives on their way, this is just the first :bang head:

Good lord! I thought we had it bad over here..... Good luck bro, fight it tooth & nail!

I only agree with #4.

Something for Cagers. Mandatory to turn their brain on while driving....

I'll be on the MAG (Motorcycle Action Group) protest ride out on Sunday. They are being planned nationwide on most motorways, so check your area MAG website everyone in the UK! Let's do our small bit to "stick it to the man" :punk:

go ahead with the protest man. They awere killing us here with licences registration here. about 650 for regular bike a and about 1200-1400 for sports bikes. After many protests they are reducing it by a couple 100 bucks.

good luck ......

I only agree with #4.

Something for Cagers. Mandatory to turn their brain on while driving....

Agreed. Turn on their brains, and....TURN OFF THE F _ _ KING CELL PHONES!

As for bikes, I agree with # 4, and the proposal re reflective clothing. We have to make ourselves as visible as possible. Just my 2 cents.
Cheers!

Protests in most cities here on Sunday too,

if you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything

There is an anti-bike regulation moving through the EU legislative process !!! The EU Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO) will vote on it between the 4th and 6th Oct, then it goes to Parliament.

The main issues are:
1 - The Anti tampering Regulation: Specifically Article 18 which wants to stop all modifications to complete power train, from airbox to controlling the rear tyre profile.
2 - Compulsory ABS
3 - Article 52: "If systems, components or seperate technical units on a list in a delegated act to this regulation, have a dual use, for vehicles intended exclusively for racing on roads and for vehicles intended for use on public roads, they may not be sold or offered for sale to consumers"
So if your K&N filter can fit a CBR race bike and a CBR road bike, the best way to police that, is to make it illegal to sell the filter.
4 - Headlights always on
5 - On Board Diagnostics, so that easy roadside checks can be made of our emissions and so that constant readouts of engine performance can be obtained. Expensive, complicated and the ability to identify past riding style...
6 - The proposal to ban all bikes over 7 years old from an urban area and to make the wearing of day-glo/reflective clothing compulsory.

As it is a 'Framework Regulation' once passed it does not have to be transposed into Law in Individual EU Member States, as it will happen automatically.

There are more EU Directives on their way, this is just the first :bang head:

4 is mandatory in PL from years and it has my vote.

The rest will not going to happen cuz it not play with democracy and we all now that. By the same mean we can instal 100hp power limiters on Audi's A8 which belongs to Brusels diplomats...

As for bikes, I agree with # 4, and the proposal re reflective clothing. We have to make ourselves as visible as possible.

Seriously? COMPULSORY hi-viz yellow reflective vests? I cant think of anything worse, and I for one will not be complying if that comes in.

As for the rest, they may sound far fetched, and "would never happen", but that's what people said in the 60s and 70s with the looming helmet laws in this country. Now no-one would dream of riding without one, if only because that would be such a surprising sight on our roads, someone is bound to call the police the second thay saw it.

I hope all this crap cannot be made retroactive ??? All the more reason to mod now .

TBH I think it'll be along the lines of .... 'motorcycles manufactured after (date of commencement of new ruling) must not be modified..yadayadayada.

This is what we have been afraid of for some time in Finland... sometimes EU really is a pain in the azz :th_analprobestare: Bikers assosiation of Finland SMOTO has done continuous work against these new regulations but it seems impossible to influence EU grannies :pullhair:

I'll be on the MAG (Motorcycle Action Group) protest ride out on Sunday. They are being planned nationwide on most motorways, so check your area MAG website everyone in the UK! Let's do our small bit to "stick it to the man" :punk:
I'll be there as well got to stand up to them

Guess the US gov't aren't the only ones that feel they know what's best for your safety.

Headlight always on has been standard at least in NA for decades...have to get bikes from the 70's or earlier to get ones that have a switched headlight.

Compulsory reflective clothing I'm pretty sure is required for military personnel, at least in the US.

I'm not against ABS in bikes, I suspect it'll go the same way as ABS(and now stability control) in cars....slowly phased in until it's so common it just gets mandated. However, in bikes it should be user-controllable, to be tuned down or shut off entirely. Otherwise I'm sure the aftermarket will make up "abs delete" kits or some doohickey you plug into the computer that defeats it.

The "no mods" rule would be impossible to police. Think about the most obvious/obnoxious mod people do....loud exhausts. I know people who have ridden with straight piped bikes for years and never had so much as a quibble from the law. Not a big enough deal for cops to care about, and even if you are caught at a checkpoint or something(exceedingly rare), it's a little slap on the wrist fine.

If cops can't be bothered to police a mod that announces it's coming miles away, you think they're going to bother with checking the type of air filter or comparing your tires to OEM specs?

#4 is a good idea. You should ride with the highbeam on at all times except nighttime in traffic. I regularly notice while driving that using the highbeam during the day is much more noticeable than low, it catches your eye. It's already on your bike and requires zero effort to use, and it's your best chance of being seen.

When they outlaw mods in the U.S.; I'll be an outlaw.

I'd just take the risk of being stopped; try to talk my way out of it if I was stopped, and as a last resort I'd pay the fine.

I'd change nothing; go right back out & do the same thing. F--- em!:confused2:
My engines are stock, and the mods I've made, in my opinion, only make my Maxs safer to ride, and easier to handle.

Jester 42

Back