New Guy / Exhaust Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontfeedphils

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the site in the last couple of weeks and this is my first post, so I'll try not to be too annoying. My dad just bought a 2001 a couple of months ago and since he doesn't have a ton of time to ride it I've been putting some major miles on it.

After reading up for a couple of weeks on this site and checking out other bikes I feel like his bike isn't quite what it should be. Don't get me wrong, it's quick, but for some reason it just doesn't seem "right". I checked some of the basic stuff, like the V-Boost solenoid function, and it checks out.

The previous owner added a lot of cheap, shitty looking touches to the bike and the only major thing it looks like he changed is the exhaust. After reading up on here and looking around the web it looks like they're Cobra pipes (honestly not sure if they're real of if there are knock-offs offs of these mufflers or not).

After reading the bad reviews on here about these pipes I'm guessing that these pipes are the reason that it doesn't seem up to par when compared to other Maxes? Is there anything easy I can do to help the more than likely rich condition that these pipes cause? Can I increase airflow in some way to help counteract the rich condition?

Hopefully you guys can help me out a bit with this. And sorry about the long spew and my in-experience with carbs (I'm used to my turbo, AWD, fuel injected car haha). Thanks for reading and for any input guys! Oh, and here's a pic of the bike....

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

how are you comparing this one with the others? dyno charts? how's the AFR (good looking plugs)? from what i've gathered around the forum and the net, and don't quote me on this, the bike should have only lost 4-5 ponies b/c of the cobras.

at any rate, to address your original question, what's underneath the lid? stock airbox? from your pic, this appears to be the case because it doesn't look like there's a DJ Stage 7; and quite probably a morely's muscle kit is absent as well. if this is the case, look into either of these two upgrades for the intake side. this make me think that the PO either fiddled with the jetting and needles and either got them wrong or adjusted them for his altitude and not yours; or didn't adjust them at all when he needed to. i'm not sure how else to know other than opening up her up.

Welcome to the VMF! I too was going to buy the Cobras when I first bought my bike, but thankfully I read here that they were power robbing, and to stay away from them. I don't know exactly what you are looking for from the bike, but you can get a good complete full exhaust system for a decent price with some searching here. Or if you want to go back to OEM, you can pick up a used set of stock cans from someone here or on ebay for cheap.

Yes, those are cobras.

A stock vmax tends to push out around 110 rwhp
I've heard its pretty common for a vmax with cobras (otherwise stock) to dyno at just under 100 rwhp.

Before spending the money on exhaust and jetting maybe you should try to find a local vmax and compare the two. Maybe you have unrealistic expectations of what the bike can do?

Dontfeedphils,
I see your in the Grand Rapids area. I'm a couple hrs northeast of you, but you're in luck in that there are several VMF members in your neck of the woods that have all types of exhaust mods for you to compare. Check out the "Ride Hookup" section, I believe there's are ride this Sunday going out of Battle Creek with several riders. Here's your first chance to meet some of the Michigan V-Max riders ! Welcome to the forum !

I like to see a mod before I do it. Or, at least talk to someone that has experience with it.Even better if it's a good friend that lets me ride his bike first. Example, I'm going to do radials come hell or high water. I rode friends bikes with 18 and 17 inch wheels to compare.Carro's and Kosmans. I'm glad I never rushed into any mod befor investigating. Plus I wait for sales to happen. At one time I would have jumped at a Cobra set because I DO like the look. But, I waited and ended getting Marks 4/2 on sale. Lots of threads to read here on exhaust. Welcome to the forum.
Steve-o

might also just need a good old tune up, plugs, sync carbs, comp test to get a base line etc. how does it idle/run or is it just a lack of power you think the bike lacks.

oh ya welcome to the forum :)

might also just need a good old tune up, plugs, sync carbs, comp test to get a base line etc. how does it idle/run or is it just a lack of power you think the bike lacks.

oh ya welcome to the forum :)

+1 , and cheaper to get it back stock and go from there. You might be surprised.

Welcome to the addiction.

Take em off,strait pipe...ride it around your neighborhood once or twice and see if it feels more peppy. Then park it quickly and see all your neighbors come out looking for the Nascar that shook their TV off the wall!(I love this game at my house)

Ok terrible advise really! But on a series note lose the Cobras...

welcome to the forum.. If you have the money I recommend Mark's exhaust . I installed this year and am very happy with sound and look. Then a Morley jet kit. :clapping::clapping:

Thanks for the welcomes guys! I don't have anything to compare it to other than what I've read on the forums on how other member stock bikes perform. One thing is I've read up on the "Top Speed" thread (don't get me wrong, I'm not concerned with top speed,just acceleration, I'm only using this as a comparison for performance), after reading that most members bike's make it to 125-150 and noting that mine only make it to 115 after struggling past 105 it concerns me a little and makes me sightly paranoid that it's not up to par.

Top speed isn't the only thing I've seen to compare. After reading about others bike's wanting the front tire to pick up when really getting on it and noting that mine never really feels that way. This next comparison is in no way scientific but the descriptions on how it feels when the V-Boost kicks in just doesn't jive with how mine feels. It is a noticeable difference, but not a "hold on, here we go" sort of difference.

I'm going to go through and check the easier thing's like making sure that the V-Boost is opening fully, the carbs are sync'd, check the plugs, all of the normal shit. I'm also thinking the cheapest and easiest way to grab the power back would be to find a set of stock mufflers (it's just a one piece muffler correct?). Does anyone here happen to have a stock muffler sitting around that they would be willing to sell?

And once again thanks everyone for the welcomes and the suggestions! This is a nice change of pace from my last project (90 Eclipse GSX, Turbo, 5 Speed, AWD), everything is just so much easier and smaller, I love it.

Your on the right track because the vmax is all about acceleration! If your bike doesn't make you say "holy shit!" when you twist the throttle wide open, then there is for sure something amiss. I'm sure you will get it sorted out, just do some research here and don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions! Bob
Thanks for the welcomes guys! I don't have anything to compare it to other than what I've read on the forums on how other member stock bikes perform. One thing is I've read up on the "Top Speed" thread (don't get me wrong, I'm not concerned with top speed,just acceleration, I'm only using this as a comparison for performance), after reading that most members bike's make it to 125-150 and noting that mine only make it to 115 after struggling past 105 it concerns me a little and makes me sightly paranoid that it's not up to par.

Top speed isn't the only thing I've seen to compare. After reading about others bike's wanting the front tire to pick up when really getting on it and noting that mine never really feels that way. This next comparison is in no way scientific but the descriptions on how it feels when the V-Boost kicks in just doesn't jive with how mine feels. It is a noticeable difference, but not a "hold on, here we go" sort of difference.

I'm going to go through and check the easier thing's like making sure that the V-Boost is opening fully, the carbs are sync'd, check the plugs, all of the normal shit. I'm also thinking the cheapest and easiest way to grab the power back would be to find a set of stock mufflers (it's just a one piece muffler correct?). Does anyone here happen to have a stock muffler sitting around that they would be willing to sell?

And once again thanks everyone for the welcomes and the suggestions! This is a nice change of pace from my last project (90 Eclipse GSX, Turbo, 5 Speed, AWD), everything is just so much easier and smaller, I love it.

I would say there is definitely a problem if your Max will only run 115. I'm close to 300 pounds of dead weight on my may and it will run right up to 135 before it even acts like it cares that my heavy butt is on it. Check your plugs and make sure it's running on all four, sounds like you're one cyl down IMHO.

Dang, running out of steam at 105?! I'm at 120 when I think I'm just getting going because of the wind blast. As mentioned already, plugs may tell you whether you have a lean or rich condition. I'm tucking down tight to get out of the air above that and only running out of steam in the high 130s- low 140s. Also running out of cojones about the same time so it all works out fine. When I rode the Busa, it was 150 smooth and quiet and ready to stretch out it's legs effortlesly compared to the Max. Don't do too many changes at once. Keep it simple and remember it's just fuel, air and spark. Sounds like spark is fine so get it breathing better or drinking gas better. Welcome to the house of the Monkey!

Latest posts

Back