New Illinois law......

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thing I don't do wheelies!.............I wonder how the feel about rolling burnouts?...................:biglaugh:...................Tom.

Hope you don't love those ape hangers that you installed. This new law also prohibits motorcycle handlebars that reach higher than the rider's head.
For apes, Maine is even more strict. They cannot reach higher than the rider's shoulders. That does not effect me though, where as I prefer drag bars over ape hangers.

I am curious though; I am assuming that the law pertains only to public roads and other such areas, such as public parking lots, and not on private property, such as in your own driveway, or other areas of a person's own private property.

For apes, Maine is even more strict. They cannot reach higher than the rider's shoulders. That does not effect me though, where as I prefer drag bars over ape hangers.

+1
Its about time they did suttin bout those silly ape hangers.
;)

Jmo?

What is silly about them? If the rider can operate his bike safely, and he is comfortable with them, I see nothing silly about them.

They are just not my preference lol

They are stupid, but I defend to the death your right to have them if you want.

I've seen a guy pop a wheelie on a sport bike as he ran beside me at 70 mph on the freeway. He sped into the darkness...it was early morning. I think this really should be illegal on streets and highways. Not in parking lots or on private property. Stuff like this just gives biker a bad name and drives up insurance costs. I did not find him dead a ways up the road like I expected. I found him stopped by a cop.

Personally if you pop a wheelie while staying within the posted speed limit, what is the harm? Kind of a none issue on the Vmax but for lightweight sportbikes and enduro style bikes I have a hard time not going on to one wheel.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2010 Florida Law

Among the stunts: the ever-popular wheelie.

That's when the front wheel of the motorcycle comes off the pavement with a twist of the throttle and the bike is ridden a distance on one wheel.

Starting Oct. 1, the anti-wheelie law takes effect.

If a law enforcement officer spots that activity, the rider can be cited under the new state law and face a $1,000 fine. That's for a first offense. A second offense carries a maximum fine of $2,500. A third-timer faces a felony charge and can be fined as much as $5,000 – along with a 10-year license revocation.

The statute was introduced by Florida Rep. Carlos Lopez-Cantera, a Republican from Miami.

His bill requires motorcyclists to "maintain both wheels on the ground at all times."

He decided to introduce the bill after seeing sport bikers doing stunts, including wheelies, on Interstate 95 in Miami.

"I witnessed it several times on the expressway," he said this morning. "Two weekends in a row, they were doing really crazy stunts. They were hanging off [the sides of their bikes], scraping their feet on the median, riding sidesaddle and doing wheelies.

"There also was a van chasing them," Lopez-Cantera said, "filming it all."

That prompted him to take action, he said.

"When I saw that, I said, 'I've got to do something -- at least bring attention to it.' "

He said other dangerous stunts are addressed in other statutes, but wheelies were not.

His law will catch the attention of daredevils who put themselves in danger as well as others, he said. Initially, he said, he wanted to include a provision to allow forfeiture of the motorcycle, but that fell by the wayside.

Though charges such as reckless driving could be used to charge someone doing wheelies, the fines for those offenses are less than a few hundred dollars, he said, and stunt riders don't take them seriously.

"They say it's just the cost of doing business," Lopez-Cantera said.

By naming wheelies in the law, the penalties are increased, he said.

"We needed to pass something they would fear," he said.

Tampa lawyer John MacKay, who represents motorcyclists in civil and traffic court, said the legislation is unnecessary.

"I think it's going to open a can of worms because it's difficult to see when that wheel is coming off the ground," he said. The law will be easily challenged, he said, "unless you've got a kid who is standing up vertically."

Still, it will come down to the word of the biker against the word of the law enforcement officer and witnesses.

Just about every biker charged will have a defense that a condition in the road caused the front wheel to come up, he said.

"If you hit a rock a little hard," MacKay said, "your wheel is going to come up off the ground."

He said he has seen the stunt riders and shakes his head at their bravado. Still, he said, the anti-wheelie law is not the answer.

"I have never heard of a problem with people doing wheelies," he said. "I see it. I know it makes people mad. I know it is a stupid thing to do. But ultimately natural selection takes its course."

What is silly about them? If the rider can operate his bike safely, and he is comfortable with them, I see nothing silly about them.

They are just not my preference lol

Didnt mean to offend anyone..
That's why I said JMO ? (JUST MY OPINION ?) .

That said, IN MY OPINION, They.. (big apes) look silly, and are dangerous. Thats a fact that it is my opinion.

I like drag bars myself, and some may think that they look silly.. but I would still bet that they are safer than big apes.

Carry on.

T $

Ok, note to self ... don't rest my ass by standing on the pegs when riding through Illi. Guess I'll file that right next to unload and secure my firearm. Thanks for the heads up.

Regarding ape hangers ... love'm on bar hoppers. They are actually VERY comfortable and highly responsive to ride input at slow speeds. That said, I don't want'm on my Max. On my 4 speed, 750cc, vtwin, drum braked Moto Guzzi - they'll be perfect.

Ok, note to self ... don't rest my ass by standing on the pegs when riding through Illi.

And yet, they teach you to raise your but off the seat when transversing obstacles in the BRC, and helps save your back from being pounded when you find a particularly rough patch of pavement. (pity the guys with forward control bikes and very little rear suspension travel... i.e. most newer Harley Davidsons)

A Joplin MO rider lost his life last week when his wheelie went wrong. Unfortunately, he did a lot of damage to a couple of innocent motorists on his way to the doner bank.

Uh huh, that looks really comfortable.... uh-huh...

url

Motor vehicle code in Texas says bars can't be higher than the shoulder, either. I've never seen anyone get in trouble for only that, though.

Back