new owner some questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidwin

Reaction score
I just got an 01 vmax with 3k on it. Bike needs new tires so i'll probably get shinko. 120/170 setup if everyone thinks it is ok without having to do any mods to make it fit.

how do you change the fuel filter or should i be worried about changing it.

is it normal to get about 100 miles out of a full tank of fuel? i hit the reserve yesterday going down a bridge.

previous owner said he changed coolant, diff, oil but i rather do it again. i use rotella on my fz1, shadow, do you guys use it in the vmax?

so far i'm very impressed with bike. I wanted a magna but i'm happy with this bike.

thanks,
sid

I just got an 01 vmax with 3k on it. Bike needs new tires so i'll probably get shinko. 120/170 setup if everyone thinks it is ok without having to do any mods to make it fit.

how do you change the fuel filter or should i be worried about changing it.

is it normal to get about 100 miles out of a full tank of fuel? i hit the reserve yesterday going down a bridge.

previous owner said he changed coolant, diff, oil but i rather do it again. i use rotella on my fz1, shadow, do you guys use it in the vmax?

so far i'm very impressed with bike. I wanted a magna but i'm happy with this bike.

thanks,
sid

120/170 will be fine. you *may* have to do the washer swap on the rear tire, but its pretty unlikely as I haven't heard of anyone having to do that with a shinko yet.

fuel filter is cake, takes 2 minutes. I would get yourslef a haynes or clymer manual. the full service manual is available on the vmf links (altho it assumes a certain amt of knowledge and is a good supplemental guide)

100 miles is a little low compared to a perfectly running max, but definitely I would say within the norm, especially with some spirited riding. you were able to switch to reserve when the light came on and keep going right?

i use this stuff for rear diff oil and do it every other engine oil change:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Synthetic_Gear_Lubricant_LS_75W-90.asp

Ya I use Rotella-T (15W40 in FL) in my bike too it's perfectly fine.

Fuel filter is under the seat, bit of a PITA to pull out of its rubber holder but well worth renewing.

100 miles to a tank is fine (only 3.2 gal and it's a 1200cc with Vboost..), when riding hard I've seen as low as 75 miles, and granny riding should get you close to 120.

Shinkos 120/170 will fit just fine. Cheap and sticky, you can't go wrong.

Oh and welcome!

thanks everyone. i just changed the oil with rotella. i changed brake and clutch fluid with vavoline syn. 4. i changed diff with redline 75w90.

two more questions.... i have crash bars and would like to put highway pegs on them. i saw some on ebay for $15 what are you guys running??

also my grips are shrinking... i don't know if that is normal but what do you all replace the stock ones with? i have kuryakyn on my ace, can i simply replace just the rubbers?

is the kn air filter worth it?

i saw at the bottom of the radiator it appears to have a drain valve. to change the coolant do i simply open that valve and fill it at the overflow bottle?

I plan on changing the turn signals and brake lights to LED's. I want to go with the blinking one for the rears and just yellow ones all the way around. any recommendations?

i'm so pleased with this bike... all my friends thought i was crazy for wanting a vmax... i would love an 09 but for the price i paid i'm beyond satisfied.

I just got Superbike grips at the bike shop - you can fit anything (7/8") you like really.

K&N is good 'cos it's reusable, you just clean it, as opposed to replacing it. Mine came with one. It's supposed to add more airflow too but no idea if it actually does.

I had Kuryakin highway pegs on mine but I took'em off as I felt like a complete fruitcake with my feet on them. Still have them somewhere if you're interested - they look ok but the chrome is chipping. They fitted on the crash bars but unfolded VERY wide.

To flush the coolant you put that valve you found in the flush position then remove the drain bolt under the water pump and remove the rad cap. Don't forget to put the valve back in the 'on' position when you're done.

There are blinkers a plenty on fleaBay, only thing with LED ones is often they won't flash at the right rate and the self-canceling won't work unless you add some electronics 'cos the resistance is totally different. I have $20 small bullet types form fleaBay on mine, love them.

what this bike has self canceling turn signals???

i didn't see the radiator cap... is it hidden somewhere?

when do you guys change the plugs? iridium? how hard? i did my fz1 and that was by far the biggest PITA ever.

what this bike has self canceling turn signals???
Ya it does, ride a few hundred years with it on and u'll see :)
i didn't see the radiator cap... is it hidden somewhere?
On top of the radiator :biglaugh:
when do you guys change the plugs? iridium? how hard? i did my fz1 and that was by far the biggest PITA ever.

Dead easy, use the standard NGK Yamaha recommends, and change them if they look worn or you feel like it..

i think he means the coolant cap under the right scoop.

tires are ordered, clear lens too, led turn signals..... owned it for only 24 hrs and already pouring money :)

Back