New to Bikes and Just got a gen 1 vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincent1jz

Reaction score
As the title states, I just purchased a 2002 Yamaha V-Max and I'm completely ignorant to this bike. So far I've noticed that there are not a lot of options as far as wheels without extensive work to the swing arm and or wheel itself( had my heart set on some ride wright wheels) and the aero options are mostly street fighter style. I did find two kits offered from Kid Custom Factory in Japan that are absolutely amazing but the shop does not an English translator(they're also assholes but I've dealt with that before) so I may just have one replicated. Id like some advice on proper care and tasteful modifications also things to avoid from killing myself would be nice also. As far as whats done to it now I know there is a a stage 7 jet kit (no clue as to what it is) and the factory box has been replaced with 4 individual air filters which i want to chage to stacks like what you would see on an ITB kit for a car. Any help is appreciated.

OK, I'll start.
Welcome to the forum.
There are not a lot of wheel options, that's true. Are you looking for just cosmetic updates, radial upgrade, or something else? I'm running what I believe to be a Divvy rear wheel (17x5.5) with a 190/50/17 on it and a radial 110/80/18 front. It handles great. I'm unfamiliar with the company you mentioned, but I'll go look them up in a minute.

Proper care and mods can be handled in the FAQ, How-To, a User Mods forums on here under the 85-07 technical section. Basically don't let it sit for more than a few days without at least starting it to run the fuel out of the bowls, and you'll be fine. Letting your carbs get gummed up is not terribly fun, but also not terribly terrible if you're handy and don't mind asking for help.

With the stage 7, do you have an aftermarket full exhaust system? If not, you're better off going back to a stock airbox and needles (that's mostly what's changed going to stage 7).

Just keep coming back and reading all you can stand. We'll help you get it sorted the way you want.

Ive attached two pictures of bikes from Kid Custom Factory in japan. Im looking for mostly cosmetics. The bike has a kirker exhaust?

Attachments

• IMG_5166_1.jpg
    IMG_5166_1.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 59
  • img_0018.jpg
    img_0018.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 60
As the title states, I just purchased a 2002 Yamaha V-Max and I'm completely ignorant to this bike. So far I've noticed that there are not a lot of options as far as wheels without extensive work to the swing arm and or wheel itself( had my heart set on some ride wright wheels) and the aero options are mostly street fighter style. I did find two kits offered from Kid Custom Factory in Japan that are absolutely amazing but the shop does not an English translator(they're also assholes but I've dealt with that before) so I may just have one replicated. Id like some advice on proper care and tasteful modifications also things to avoid from killing myself would be nice also. As far as whats done to it now I know there is a a stage 7 jet kit (no clue as to what it is) and the factory box has been replaced with 4 individual air filters which i want to chage to stacks like what you would see on an ITB kit for a car. Any help is appreciated.

Texas is a big state- which part are you in? As most Texans asks.
Proper care is in the manual - tasteful mods are personal and endless.
Ride it first then find what you want to modify- Looks are endless.
Stage 7 is a good upgrade and i personally would leave the filters on unless you are going to a 1/4 mile track to make $.
Carbs are the main problem with this beast and they do not like dirt of any kind.
Anyway a huge welcome stay with us and we solve any problem that will unfortanately arise. Lots of GREAT guys on here.

Ive attached two pictures of bikes from Kid Custom Factory in japan. Im looking for mostly cosmetics. The bike has a kirker exhaust?

I believe that is a fully custom exhaust, because the Kerker 4-1 ONLY comes out on the right side.

Those are stock wheels in the pics. They look more SoCal than Japan to me, but nice either way.

Eric, HIS bike has a kerker, not the ones in the pics. They are examples, I believe.

Those are stock wheels in the pics. They look more SoCal than Japan to me, but nice either way.

Eric, HIS bike has a kerker, not the ones in the pics. They are examples, I believe.

Oh....ok, thanks for the heads up.

Yeah i realized they were stock wheels when i looked at them the first time. I should have guessed the wheel options were slim when i saw them reusing the stock wheels. I however did do some research and found i could fit a 170/80/15 on the rear so that might make up for that. I come from the import car world so im not familiar with the "socal look", you might have to show me some examples of that. If anyone else is interested in the rest of the pictures of those bikes heres the link. The VMax is extremely popular in Japan, a lot of the Japanese people on my Facebook have them.
http://www.kid-cf.com/bikes.htm

Latest posts

Back