New (to me) Vmax, some parts to come off. OEM Backrest value? Windscreen value?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acammer

Reaction score
I've just purchased an '02 Vmax in excellent shape, can't wait for the weather to break to get out there. I'm already contemplating changes and what I'll do with it. The bike has a OEM backrest, and I'm wondering what it's worth. I was poking around the form and findings some people saying $500+ at times. I'm not sure my wife is going to want to climb on this thing with me, so I might be looking to unload it, I like the look of the stock height grab-rail much better. If she wants it, I'll probably adapt a Virago grab rail for the vast majority of time which will be solo riding. But, I don't think that'll be the case, and I don't like the look of that as much either, so I think I'll be looking to part with it. It's also got a big windscreen that is definitely coming off as soon as it's home, it has one 2" crank down low near the mounting backets, is it safe to assume that's not worth much on the used maket?

I'm definitely thinking about an exhaust of some sort - I'm going to try the drilled stock first, but I like it loud and I've heard some good clips of the Supertrapps without any end caps that sound nice. A full header and jetting to match is ideal, but I definitely am on a limited budget. I'm thinking that this OEM backrest, if I do sell it, may have enough value in it to get me to a regular grab-rail and Supertrapp slip-ons, or at least real close to it. Thoughts? I apperciate your insights.

Factory Backrest??? Depends on condition and how desperate the buyer is.

I've seen $200 to $500. $200 for one that's rough and needs powdercoating. $500 for mint, cherry, all but new...

Windshield / screen, Cracked, Not much value except maybe the brackets.

Modded stock exhaust won't satisfy you for long, been there, done that.

Supertrapps are a very good compromise. Sean Morley has some reasonable too...

I think this one fall in the middle, its not perfect, but its not terrible. It may make the most sense to just do the Virago grab rail to keep the backrest option there - of course if I find a trade for an exhaust, its going to be hard to turn it down. I figured the windshield was valueless, its definitely hideous.

I think this one fall in the middle, its not perfect, but its not terrible. It may make the most sense to just do the Virago grab rail to keep the backrest option there - of course if I find a trade for an exhaust, its going to be hard to turn it down. I figured the windshield was valueless, its definitely hideous.

i'm sure morley would hear out a deal on that.

send a pic of the windshield

Note - the virago grabrail requires the lower rails from the oem backrest you want to remove. The stock grabrail is a one piece design. So, the only thing you would be getting rid of if you wanted to use the upper riser which won't work without the lowers.

$200 is typically an average to low average. $500 is mint/chromed/brand new. $300-$350 is what they will go for most of the time.

Sean

Note - the virago grabrail requires the lower rails from the oem backrest you want to remove. The stock grabrail is a one piece design. So, the only thing you would be getting rid of if you wanted to use the upper riser which won't work without the lowers.

$200 is typically an average to low average. $500 is mint/chromed/brand new. $300-$350 is what they will go for most of the time.

Sean

Right, I follow that. The Virago grab rail is my option if I plan to keep the back-rest for the occasional 2up ride. I know I'll need regular Vmax grab-bar if I take the sissy-bar setup off. We'll see what happens, won't know till she gives it a try. Here's what I picked up:

attachment.php

Attachments

• vmax side a.JPG
    vmax side a.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 253
Looks clean and pretty stock. I'd rather have a stocker and do the work myself than trying to fix someone elses mess. Nice.

I've got a sissybar and I hate it. Wish I could sell it but my wife had a few conditions when I said I was buying a bike

1. ALWAYS wear a helmet! (her father in law was in a BAD accident right before I bought my bike and suffered a brain injury)
2. "No bitches allowed on the back set" I said well what if you want to go for a ride? LOL.
3. I have to have a sissybar so she can ride along.

I figure since I bought the bike and kicked her car out of the garage its the least I can do.

acammer: Looks nice. maybe you can cut some kind of trade with Sean...

Mike ([email protected]) My wife won't ride without a sissy bar and I'm OK with that. I tend to wheelie at awkward times and don't want to loose her. She likes it because it gives her additional leverage when she smacks me in the back of the head for pullin the wheel up. Other Bitches can ride with me as long as my wife knows that they are there..

She likes it because it gives her additional leverage when she smacks me in the back of the head for pullin the wheel up. Other Bitches can ride with me as long as my wife knows that they are there..

Well at least I know I'm not the only guy getting abused by their wife while trying to have a little fun out there.

There was one time I had a passenger on the back with wifey's approval. Its an awkward story and not fitting to this thread though.

my ride along rev limiter (AKA, the wife) rides with me every once in awhile also. my max didnt come with a back rest when i bought it so i bought one off ebay for $175 a few years ago. i swap them out when im riding solo. it is not that big of a pain in the ass to change out and only takes a few moments to do. i would just keep it and buy a short grab rail you can swap out.

Well, I have chatted with the wifey, she's pretty sure she's not interested in climbing on board Mr. Max, which is just fine with both of us. So, it looks like I'm in search of a stock grab-rail and a slip-on (no cash for the header, yet) exhaust. If anybody is interested in some form of a trade for the backrest and windscreen, lets talk. Bike is in storage at the stealership until it warms up enough to ride it home, so keep that in mind, probably still 6-8wks away (unfortunately.)

I have a grabrail and set of slip-ons unknown brand that i'd trade. The slipons can be see on my facebook sale album or in my sale album in the morleys muscle section of this site. The slipons aren't perfect but should clean up nicely and have stainless pipiing so they weren't the el cheapo stuff when it was new.

Kyle's Jardines won't be bad either. They were sold by Jardine, Holeshot (with their badge) and a few others.

Sean

I have a grabrail and set of slip-ons unknown brand that i'd trade. The slipons can be see on my facebook sale album or in my sale album in the morleys muscle section of this site. The slipons aren't perfect but should clean up nicely and have stainless pipiing so they weren't the el cheapo stuff when it was new.

Kyle's Jardines won't be bad either. They were sold by Jardine, Holeshot (with their badge) and a few others.

Sean

I'll jump on Facebook tonight and give them a look. Have you heard them running? That's more important to me, the tone over the look. As far as slip-on's I've heard so far, I like the Supertrapp w/o any endcaps or disks sound, deep and loud. There is a clip in the exhaust forum of the Supertrapp 4" with the SS cap, that's pretty good in my mind. Too loud, aside from straight pipes, isn't really an issue for me, bring on the noise! Of course I may just be deaf from all the guitar amps and open header hot-rods over the years.

I don't know what the slip ons Sean has sound like but I thought about getting the ones from Kyle for installation on my 89. They aren't really loud but sound good. Packing could be removed to make them louder. I have a grab rail that's in pretty good shape. Make your deal with Sean or Kyle. which ever you are comfortable with. Kyle has the ability to get my grab rail if need be as an extension of the main deal..

Guess I need to tell Kyle that fact...

Dave

I'd say you're going to want a full header. I have not heard these run but I suspect these (like the Jardines which I have heard) won't be nearly as loud as the supertrapps would be.

Sean

Well at least I know I'm not the only guy getting abused by their wife while trying to have a little fun out there.

There was one time I had a passenger on the back with wifey's approval. Its an awkward story and not fitting to this thread though.

Nice tease , now fess up the details and pics would be great. :rofl_200:

Yep, I have problem visualizing too so pics are a must lol.

So Holeshots are just re-badged Jardines? Huh, didn't know that.

I'd ditch that huge windshield and see about getting one of the smaller "flyscreens". The OEM ones are kind of tough to come by and are pricey, but I know Givi(if not others) makes a replacement that looks almost the same. Makes just enough of a "pocket" to crouch behind at speed.

The holeshot/jardine slip ons give a big-block v8 sound...so many people have told me my bike sounds like a 454 or a 502 or a 460 or something like that. I'd rate the volume about a medium. Definitely louder than stock, but not so loud that cops take notice(have gone through bike checkpoints no problem).

The kerker system is LOUD though, if that's what you're after. Personally I don't like the sound as much but some love it so you'll have to listen and choose for yourself. The Marks 4-1 also has quite a bark but IMO not as loud as the kerker.

I don't know what the slip ons Sean has sound like but I thought about getting the ones from Kyle for installation on my 89. They aren't really loud but sound good. Packing could be removed to make them louder. I have a grab rail that's in pretty good shape. Make your deal with Sean or Kyle. which ever you are comfortable with. Kyle has the ability to get my grab rail if need be as an extension of the main deal..

Guess I need to tell Kyle that fact...

Dave

Dave, you've been talking about maybe getting some Marks for your 89. Maybe you can sell the kerker and buy the marks? Sounds like someone might be interested

Latest posts

Back