New to the Vmax world just Bought an 06!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax06

Reaction score
Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself. I just bought a 2006 Vmax about 250 miles away (its in Rapid City SD, the area where the big sturgis motor cycle rally is every year). Anyways, I have been wanting to get a max pretty bad for about 3 years now so needless to say I will be excited to go and pick it up on the 24th this month. It has 5,000 miles on it, SuperTrapp slip ons, engine guards, and a small smoke windscreen, its stock other than that. What do you guys suggest for modifications? I am mostly looking to make the bike as reliable as possible and i'd like to get it to handle a little better. I am hoping it doesnt have too much of a headshake like I have been reading about on here! I have about 10 years expierence riding dirtbikes but this is my first streetbike. I think my 400hp car will not seem as quick after riding the max though! Thanks for having me, I'm hoping to learn a lot about these bikes.

Suggestion #1 get a different saddle! That stock thing is horrible.

Believe it or not, she's as tame as a kitten. (unless you twist the go stick too hard). Keeping it in a controlled state is very possible around town, and you'll soon be hit by the mod monkey. You'll find what you need to make it your own.

Don't worry about the oil light on hard acceleration. It's normal.
Your clutch isn't slipping, it's the back tire.
Yup, a tank of gas is 100 miles.

Have fun, welcome aboard.

Congratulations and welcome aboard! My Max was also my first street bike. Actually was my first motorbike. You're right, your 400hp car won't feel as fast anymore unless it weighs around 2000 lbs. I've had my '85 for 2 years now and just got done with a Venture 1300 swap and a shitload of powdercoating among other things. Still trying to work out some carb issues, but it flat hauls ass. The only susp. mods I've done so far are Harley Road Kings air shocks on the back. Also did solid alum. motor mounts. Between those two mods, I've noticed a considerable improvement in stability in the bikes handling. I suggest riding it for a little while and then see what you think needs to be improved on it. Personally, I think a stock max has more power than anybody NEEDS. But it's yours, so do with it what you will. You should be able to find out how/what to do on these forums with whatever you decide needs to be done. Happy Max'n!

Dale

It's kinda hard to see with the corners of your mouth touching the top of your ears, but if you see it, she's running good.

Welcome!

As noted, the seat is what you want to change first if you're gonna do any miles.

For handling, either better fork springs (Progressive) and/or Ricor Intimators (fork inserts) make a great difference at the front, and better shocks (Progressive again) for the rear.

For the headshake (if at all), just make sure your steering head bearings are properly adjusted and you should be fine. There's an easy way to check and adjust them - just ask or search once you have it.

If you're gonna run it hard and fast in twisty roads, then there are plenty more mods to help, the Max's biggest problem is a lot of weight in a weak frame, so reinforcing it is the answer. Cheapest is to replace the rubber motor mounts with solid (aluminum or plastic) ones, or add frame braces to stiffen everything. But honestly, you won't need that unless you really wanna ride it real fast in turns.

What you want is good sticky tires, and a lot of us like and run the Shinko T230 Tourmasters, they're dirt cheap and really handle good, but a bit soft so wear quicker than more expensive harder tires such as the Metzeler M880, which is another popular choice.

After that, be sure that the Mod Monkey will find you, he's an evil lil' bitch that will bite hard and hurt your wallet a lot. LOL

Happy riding, there's nothing like that vboost feeling when Max goes past 6k rpm ;-)

PS: for the seat, or any parts, always talk first to Sean Morley (one2dmax) as he's the MAN. Best service (EVER) and always great prices. We love you Sean!

Welcome aboard and congrats on your purchase! Everyone has told you the basic handling mods so I won't reiterate them. Once you get it handling right I would change to stainless steel brake lines, EBC HH pads to get it to stop right, and then start looking at performance upgrades if you want (new exhaust system and a jet kit). Beware though, the Mod Monkey LOVES to spend your money, and what you see here will show you things you can do that to your Max that you never thought of:punk:

Congrats and welcome to VMF.. The mod possibilities are endless. Study them for a while and get to know those who can be the biggest help here.

If your car had 600 horsepower it might be a fair comparison.

If your 400 H.P. car is quicker than a 427 Cobra , you stand a chance against Mr. Max !!! Welcome to our addiction .

:clapping:

Attachments

• maxcobra9.jpg
    maxcobra9.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 17
1. seat
2. vista cruise
3. engine braces. I have those and solid motor mounts and wish I had never done mounts.
4. progressive springs up front
5. the list goes on.....

Ahhhhhhh, welcome to the wonderful world of the Vmax. Let me introduce myself, my name is Mod Monkey and my job is to induce you to spend your hard earned $$$ on modifications to your Max:biglaugh: Please expect your personal Monkey, fresh out of training, to show up on your doorstep in 2-3 weeks time. Treat him well and keep him happy and we won't send more Monkeys out to get serious!

BTW, I highly recommend you do ALL of the modifications listed so far........ as a start.

Seeing you soon,

Mod Monkey

Welcome!

* Change the oil.

* Fill it with gas.

* Ride, ride, ride.

* Enjoy!

* I think you will like it the way it is for a while. A 2006 is a very nice bike.

Hey guys thanks for the welcome! I am pretty excited about getting her thats for sure. About the car, its a 1997 Thunderbird and its got its own mod monkey lol. I'll have to post some pics of it with my bike (I know what your thinking why spend all that money on that car but trust me its not your grandpas Thunderbird lol.) Its got a built N/A 4.6 and T-45 5 speed, its a fun car to drive but it needs some RPM to make decent power. It runs 12.5 to 12 flat with Drag Radials with good conditions are right. Not super fast but it runs on pump gas and you can drive it anywhere. Im trying to decide If im gonna ride the bike home or not, Im not sure if the bike will fit in the back of my little ranger very well lol.

I had a '66 Coronet with a mildly built 440, 3500 stall, 3.91 posi that ran right there with your bird on street tires, and I will tell you there's no comparison in the feel of acceleration between the dodge and the max. Maybe similar from off line and 2nd gear from about 2500 to 5500 rpm but after that it's apples and oranges.

Should fit in the ranger, but you'll more than likely need to leave the gate down.

Well hearing that has me even more excited. By the way, have you guys ever had any problems with a vmax being too heavy for your tailgate to hold? (or rather the steel cables that hold up your tailgate I suppose)

... have you guys ever had any problems with a vmax being too heavy for your tailgate to hold? (or rather the steel cables that hold up your tailgate I suppose)

I doubt it will actually sit on the gate. The rear tire should sit on the bed just inside the edge of the bed, but the rear part of the tire will stick out past that causing the need to leave the gate down. Disclaimer: I don't own a Ranger. I have a Jeep Comanche short bed which should be close to the dimensions of your Ranger bed. Also I've never had the bike in the bed, I'm going off some crude measurements that I took when considering hauling the bike in my Jeep's bed. Total length is 90" (take and inch or two). From the contact patch on rear tire to the front of the front tire is 80" (take an inch or three). That should give you a good idea of what you're looking at. Use this information at your own discretion. I cannot be held liable for yada yada yada......

Well hearing that has me even more excited. By the way, have you guys ever had any problems with a vmax being too heavy for your tailgate to hold? (or rather the steel cables that hold up your tailgate I suppose)

'06, these things are heavy, kinda awkward and not the easiest bike to get up on a pick-up, or back off either. If your Ranger has a trailer hitch, or you have access to a vehicle with one, rent a U-Haul ramp trailer. They have D rings in the floor, low metal sides....etc, make a good rig for bike hauling. Think they rent for $35.

Congrats on your purchase!! Those '06's are wicked looking.....eh? :punk:

Hopefully the weather will be nice and I can just ride it home! I do like 06 paint scheme I was looking for an 05 since I like those just a little better but this 06 was a good deal and close so I decided to go with it.

Back