new vmax owner with questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpoke

Reaction score
hey folks. first off im the proud owner of a 20th anniversary vmax. ive wanted one since the mid 80s and finally got my hands on one. first question. do all vmaxes have vboost? my previous bike was a r6 so my comparisons arent going to be good but it doesnt seem to pull nearly as hard as what people describe. granted it has aftermarket exhaust so maybe thats why it seems different. dont know what brand they are but heres a picture to help you guys help me... lol

123.jpg

so my questions are

do all vmaxes have vboost? if not how do i tell?
what exhaust is this. it has the same pipes you see here on both sides and is louder than my buddies harley with drag pipes heh...

Hi and welcome to the forum! :welcome_sign: All North America Vmaxs have VBoost, only some that went to Europe don't have it. The pipes you have are Cobra slip ons and are not a good choice of pipes for HP. You can tell if you have or if the vboost is working when you turn on the ignition. You will hear the fuel pump and then a "whine" sound as it opens and closes the vboost plate. Your bike is probably running rich as the Cobras are more restirctive than the stock system.

Yes All VMax's in the US have VBoost as stock.
Although, if the bike has been modified it's possibble the vboost was unplugged in the open position. Or was completely removed with a stage 7 kit.

As for the exhaust... I would say they maybe Cobra slip ons but not sure, I haven't seen any cobras that high up.

All North American Vmaxs come stock with vboost - when you turn the key on you should hear the fuel pump come on and a double whirling sound of the vboost cycling on & then off - if so, the vboost is working.

The exhaust looks like Cobra 4 - 4 slip ons - these are one of the worst systems for performance and if carbs are not set up right - they will actually hinder performance over stock.

Mike

Hi and welcome to the forum! :welcome_sign: You will hear the fuel pump and then a "whine" sound as it opens and closes the vboost plate. Your bike is probably running rich as the Cobras are more restirctive than the stock system.
as a matter of fact its running extremely rich. so would i be better off performance wise putting the stockers back on? the guy gave them to me with the bike...

I commend stock mufflers until you get a full header system.

what exhaust is this. it has the same pipes you see here on both sides and is louder than my buddies harley with drag pipes heh...

99% sure they are Quadzillas from UFO given that description. :biglaugh:

123.jpg

so my questions are

do all vmaxes have vboost? if not how do i tell?

Wait a minute....is this a picture of YOUR exact bike? Because if it's just a picture of another bike with pipes that look like yours, there is a very striking resemblance between the UFO Quads and the Cobras. If this isn't an exact pic of your bike, and you said that it's running really rich I'd be willing to say you in fact have Cobras and not UFOs.

The pipes depicted in the above picture are definitely the UFOs though.

Wait a minute....is this a picture of YOUR exact bike? Because if it's just a picture of another bike with pipes that look like yours, there is a very striking resemblance between the UFO Quads and the Cobras. If this isn't an exact pic of your bike, and you said that it's running really rich I'd be willing to say you in fact have Cobras and not UFOs.

The pipes depicted in the above picture are definitely the UFOs though.

Good point.... UFOs with stock jets would run lean, no?

Attachments

• whichpipe.jpg
    whichpipe.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 23
Good eyes guys, I am leaning towards the UFO pipe also. I've attached a picture with both for comparison. I wonder what other work has been done? Maybe Stage 7 with the vboost removed?

Another good point... Do all stage 7 kits require the 4 seperate air filters? If so, it would be easy to check the airbox...

that is a picture of my bike tha ti took right before posting with my camera phone. obviously im a noob to vmax's so how do i check to see if it has a stage 7 or the vboost removed. and why would the vboost be removed? only thing i really know about the bike is it was owned by a 53 year old man befor ei got it.... which doesnt mean much lol

Another good point... Do all stage 7 kits require the 4 seperate air filters? If so, it would be easy to check the airbox...

No, but then you would have a modified air box like Morley's kit.

I commend stock mufflers until you get a full header system.

I could be wrong, but if those are UFO Quadzillas, I believe the headpipes are as well. Stockers won't fit unless the privious owner included the stock headpipes in the sale.

when i looked it over it had what seemed like a stock airbox. big ol chuck of plastic lol the full size of the fake gas tank

I could be wrong, but if those are UFO Quadzillas, I believe the headpipes are as well. Stockers won't fit unless the privious owner included the stock headpipes in the sale.

True, I didn't take a good enough look at his picture.

when i looked it over it had what seemed like a stock airbox. big ol chuck of plastic lol the full size of the fake gas tank

I'm bettering your vboost valve is there then. Remove a plastic "H" cover below carbs and take a picture of the manifold. Or, if it has a nipple on the side then you have vboost. It might be unplugged. Look for the round connector under the left scoop.

Latest posts

Back