newbie needing some advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21Turner

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I just bought my 94 VMAX. You guys have already helped me out so thanks for that. My next question is do you all find that you have to down shift alot on curves? The bike seems to "lug" When going on some curves like I need to downshift? I have had Magna's and a ZL1000 and didnt seem to have this problem? Could the carbs need to be synched?? or cleaned? I put some seafoam in the first tank and will try it again.

I usually downshift when getting off at the I-20 exit ramp at about 125 down to 45 or so as it's a full circle / rounder type of exit . :rofl_200:

My problem is the opposite, selecting a high enough gear that the rear doesn't spin or spin out when in the turn if I tweak the throttle. I guess if you get the rpm down far enough using a higher gear that you'd need to downshift. Anywhere from 3,000 up should be good. Syncing the carbs isn't a bad thing to do...

i could put mine in 5th and ride a curvy road for miles without shifting, how low is the rpm going for you?

The better the tune on a max, the better the low end power IMO. I noticed a HUGE difference going to Morley's kit.

Chris

Hello guys,
I just bought my 94 VMAX. You guys have already helped me out so thanks for that. My next question is do you all find that you have to down shift alot on curves? The bike seems to "lug" When going on some curves like I need to downshift? I have had Magna's and a ZL1000 and didnt seem to have this problem? Could the carbs need to be synched?? or cleaned? I put some seafoam in the first tank and will try it again.

First off, welcome to the site and Vmax ownership!
Secondly, we need to know the speed/ gear your in/ what RPM's are you running/ are you slowing down/ can you better describe the "lug" as in type of noise?

I rode today and it seems better. It may have just been for sitting for awhile. I have put some seafoam in it to loosen it up. The lug would seem just like in a 4 speed when you need to down shift? And maybe that is what it was. I did notice that after a ride it seems like it takes more RPM's to get going in 1st? I dont know I guess I will keep riding and see if it cleans itself out?
And thanks for the welcome!! :)

Dont be afraid to keep the revs up in the midrange most of the time , these engines can handle it and actually run bettah...

The better the tune on a max, the better the low end power IMO. I noticed a HUGE difference going to Morley's kit.

Chris
What is this kit?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Hello guys,
Can't say I know much about running the MAX through the corners as I leave that activity to the FZR. I can state FOR A FACT the max launches off a take off ramp best in the V-Boost range, in other words above the 6k threshold where the intake butterflys open so that the 1985 suspension works for you instead of against you. You do NOT want to grab a fist full of throttle as right as the rear tire parts company from gravity as the shaft jacking can loop you into a face plant on re-entry.
Throttle control,.....its all about throttle control......

Hello guys,

Think this would be a good place to start.

What is this kit?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Contact Sean Morley one2dmax, he sells them thru his company Morley's Muscle....click on the banner at the top of the page.

Can't say I know much about running the MAX through the corners as I leave that activity to the FZR. I can state FOR A FACT the max launches off a take off ramp best in the V-Boost range, in other words above the 6k threshold where the intake butterflys open so that the 1985 suspension works for you instead of against you. You do NOT want to grab a fist full of throttle as right as the rear tire parts company from gravity as the shaft jacking can loop you into a face plant on re-entry.
Throttle control,.....its all about throttle control......

Couldn't help but wonder here....what about constructing your ramp so the end is turned up slightly, seems it would counteract the shaft jacking by pointing the front wheel toward the sun at the instant of launch?

A well timed tweek of the throttle and you may very well be able to pick up a couple feet on the overall jump distance....what d'ya think?

Latest posts

Back