non vmax fork disassemble help...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
Hey guys I just picked up a TTR225 to play with. It needs fork seals and I've done a few sets now on different bikes and understand the general idea.

So... how the hell do I remove this cap!??! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Removing the rubber cap yields this. Almost looks like a smoothly machined plug....

thanks guys.

-garret

Attachments

• 2010-05-23 19.39.46.jpg
    2010-05-23 19.39.46.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 24
  • 2010-05-23 19.39.53.jpg
    2010-05-23 19.39.53.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 24
Hey guys I just picked up a TTR225 to play with. It needs fork seals and I've done a few sets now on different bikes and understand the general idea.

So... how the hell do I remove this cap!??! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Removing the rubber cap yields this. Almost looks like a smoothly machined plug....

thanks guys.

-garret

It looks like it's pressed in and pinched in place by that bolt........kinda like the lid on a barrel:ummm:

EDIT: I think that's the fork tube pinched by the bolt.......ya I'm a dolt......

I have no idea.........

along with the pinch bolt looks like there is a snap ring in there, so pouch down on the cap and you should be able to pop out the ring and should come out. those arent inverted forks are they?

nope regular forks. how should i punch down the cap? tried with my thumbs, no luck.

You can see the ends of the clip in the red circle. Use a small screwdriver to pop the ring clip out of the groove it is in.

Attachments

• fork.jpg
    fork.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 14
had to look at the fiche. I can now see the circlip just at the edge of the inner plug and fork tube. From what I can see it would appear you have to press the inner plug down then remove the retaining wire ring. Pushing the plug down might be challenging since you have to hold the spring tension too. I bet if you go ahead and remove the retaining bolt in the lower leg (up from the bottom) that it will relieve quite a bit of tension allowing easier removal of the retaining ring. Then you can probably assemble normally and push down the plug and more easily pop the ring into place.

Sean

You can see the ends of the clip in the red circle. Use a small screwdriver to pop the ring clip out of the groove it is in.

gotcha..

had to look at the fiche. I can now see the circlip just at the edge of the inner plug and fork tube. From what I can see it would appear you have to press the inner plug down then remove the retaining wire ring. Pushing the plug down might be challenging since you have to hold the spring tension too. I bet if you go ahead and remove the retaining bolt in the lower leg (up from the bottom) that it will relieve quite a bit of tension allowing easier removal of the retaining ring. Then you can probably assemble normally and push down the plug and more easily pop the ring into place.

Sean

thanks Sean. makes sense but damn does that make this a royal pain in the ass... I was going to increase preload by about 1/2" which may not be a good idea when reassembling that may lead to a big headache. we'll see when I get 'em apart... def going to 5 thicker oil either way...

thanks for the help all! i took the rubber caps off and was wtf is this crap.:confused2::ummm::confused2:

thanks for the help guys. got one dissembled last night. did it ass backward but it worked:

step one -> remove forks

step two -> impact gun to the bottom bolt with the bottom part of the fork in a vice

step three -> drain oil, remove gaiter/dust seal, circlip.

step 4 -> pop oil seal off

step 5 -> profit

step 6 -> remove circlip from top cap,

step 7 -> push damper rod slowly with a rag over the cap. had to do this and then pound it back in 5-6 times until it finally popped

so i had a couple people give me a hand last night and we re-assembled the one and got the other one done in about an hour. went well...

stripped the head of one of the bottom bolts of one of the forks when it went back in. oh well, hopefully i won't need to take it apart again. if soo i guess it'll be off to the machine shop.. note to self, little bit of impact gun goes a long way...

anyways. i used a 1/2" PVC coupler. it was perfect diameter and about 1-5/8" long. forks feel great now with 15wt oil. test ride today. I used "moose" fork seals and they seemed higher quality that the OEM ones that were in there.

Agreed on the Moose parts. I've never used their fork seals but I've purchased complete engine gasket sets with all the oil seals for my bikes in the past and have had great luck. All gasket fit great, no leaks. Also have used some of their other parts such as chain sliders, chain block, sprockets, etc and have been very pleased with the durability.

I have yet to try it but I have heard good things about some of the "Tusk" brand products as well. I believe they are manufactured for Rocky Mountain ATV. I hear their brake rotors and pads are good as well as clutches, etc.

good to know. strangely enough they were in an 'all balls' plastic box. maybe all balls resells moose stuff? i'm not sure...

finally got to test ride tonight. didn't realize it but the tire was way off. the front pointed way left (sitting on the bike) and the rear of the tire pointed way right, with the bars straight. fiddled with a bit and its much better. weird. i didn't even know that could happen.

Back