not charging

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn

Reaction score
Working on 1993.New battery.new rectifier two months ago.Battery has 12.85 volts.Start it up and it immediately goes to 7 volts.Bike dies 15 minutes later. tested stator. 16 volts each pole, rev it up it goes to 50 .Output at rectifier positive wire is 3volts.So which is junk? the stator or rectifier? any suggestions?

battery is a brand new oddessy.I charge it back up on a battery charger.it is perfect.Rectifier has all connectors replaced with soldered butt connectors.Positive and negative wires replaced and wired straight to the battery.Bike starts up no problem but it is obviously running on the battery.The stator ohms out at 1.1 which is good according to the troubleshooting guide.

Under Pressure

2144 SW 38th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL
(954) 792-0442

Go see Steve, he's off Ravenswood Rd, Dania Beach. Griffin Rd. West of I-95 & north on Ravenswood Rd. after crossing the RR tracks.

Sounds like a bad R/R to me.

I would agree, with the voltage dropping to 7V running I would say the rectifier is shorting internally, I'm suprised your not blowing the main fuse...................Tom.

Installed rectifier/regulator from 2000 R1.At first it disappointed me by showing 12.6 volts and would not move even when I revved it.Thats when I realized the battery is new and was full.took it for a ride in morning in 110 degree weather.runs perfect and cooler because fans come on and don't drain the battery.In stop and go traffic with the needle touching red ,there are no misfires due to weak spark. turned it off while still hot.It fired up like it was cold.It never did that. The R1 r/r is the cure.

Back