Oahu , any suggestions ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old timer

Reaction score
Seeing some of us are planning our future excursions , how about this one . First week and a half in April I'm taking the wife to Hawaii for our 40th . Went there on our honeymoon in 72...:eek:

Anyways , going to rent a bike for about 5 days ( wont say what kind but I'll be bringing my HD t-shirts with me...:moped2:) , do some scuba diving and drinking everything that comes with a little umbrella...( even the Tequila :eek:h yeah: )...

Anyone know some of the ' off the travelled path ' places I might be able to find and enjoy ? Local hang-outs , out-of-the-way spots...etc ? TIA :worthy:

You definitely should take a ride up to the North Shore, Banzai pipeline is there. It's been awhile since I was on Oahu, I'm sure it's TOTALLY different than when you were there in 72. Too bad your not going to Maui. There I could help you a lot!! But I'm sure others here should be able to help. I believe there's even a few members on here that live on Oahu. I'd like to get back there soon myself. Have Fun!! Aloha, Ed✨

I would definitely take a cruise up the Kalanianaole and Kamehameha Highways and on pretty much every Highway on the Island for that matter.
You'll see some excellent Views and some pretty nice curves.
As stated above the all the Beachs on North Shore are well worth seeing and the Surfing is great.
Just don't try to surf there in the Winter or you probably won't make it back out of the water.

A lesson I learned fro ma friend is to AVOID Waianae unless you are Hawaiin.
He was car-jacked there.

Some of my personal Favorites were Sandy Beach (World Class Boogie Borarding Beach), Halona BlowHole, Hanauma Bay (for some excellent Snorkling),
Lanikai Beach (Very Private) and Sacred Falls (I had a lot of Fun there with a Norwegian Girl but I see it is now closed).
Here are some other Oahu WaterFalls:
http://www.hawaiiweb.com/oahu/sites_to_see/waterfalls.htm

Too bad your not going to Maui.
Ditto to that. I spent a week on Maui in 1989, diving with an outfitter based in Lahaina. Perhaps not as much to see in terms of coralsize and wildlife as in the Caribbean, but the Humpback whale mating songs, which travel for miles thru the water, made each dive so much more interesting. Lots of morays and sand sharks if you take in the Moloki crater divesite.
At the time, the USS Bluegill was also available for sportdivers. This is a submarine that was purposely sunk for navy divers to train on, then eventually opened to the public as well. A fairly deep dive, I think it rests in about 140 ft.
On Oahu, the hike up to the top of Diamondhead is well worth the effort. And try the surfing lessons given off the main beach. Not nearly as easy as you might think, even on the large boards.
I rented a 350 Honda one morning, and circled the island, back around dusk.
What impressed me the most (things are probably different now) is that you could leave the conjestion and hussle of Honalulu, and within 20 minutes be on a virtually deserted beach.
I still count that vacation as my best yet - Hawaii is truly a paradise. I would like to go back sometime, to visit Maui again, and also "the big island"
hang ten!

You can't go wrong with Oahu, I was in Makaha for a while.
It was cool driving down to see the Arizona memorial, and the Ala moana shoping center was nice, lots to see there. But (I don't know if its still there or not) The Fog cutter. Had some escargot that were the size of golf balls (and probably as tasty) and a bucket of steamer clams that were steamed on the first layer but frozen when you get to the bottom of the bucket. But they do make killer mai tai's :)

Latest posts

Back