OEM Fly Screen

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John R

Reaction score
I bought the OEM fly screen from an online vender. It arrived today and I just installed it tonight. If you are anal like I am about perfect alignment, it ain't. Close enough though. Also, you have to loosen the turn signal indicators to get the fly screen over the threaded bolt and aligned with the turn signal tabs. If you think you loosened the nuts far enough already, turn them more because the thickness of the fly screen brackets is more than what the instructions would lead you to believe. As you tighten the turn signal nuts with the new fly screen atttached, good luck with keeping the turn signals aimed evenly. You have to turn them a little off before tightening in order to compensate for the torquing. The last piece is the most important - the fly screen bracket doesn't fit perfectly on the turn signal bolts - do not tighten thinking you are going to get the same tolerances as before the fly screen. I broke the turn the turn signal bracket and now I have to replace it.:bang head: It seems I can't win for losing. I like the looks. I have not tried it out yet because the water pump has failed on me and I am waiting for the new assembly for installation.:bang head: Don't get me wrong...I love my bike and I would buy it all over again. Based on the looks of the fly screen, I would buy that all over again as well.

Thanks for the tips John.
My fly screen is waiting at the post office for me to pick it up.
I'm hoping to install it tomorrow night when I get home from work.
I can't wait... I'm so excited!

I got mine from Conan off the buy sell board.
:eusa_dance:

I got my oem fly screen put on tonight.
Looks gooooood!
Sorry forgot to take pictures.
Anyway I didn't run into any problems, cept noticing that my throttle cables seem to be crossed behind the brake hose. must have done that back when I changed handle bars.
I'll have to take it all back off now and fix that. But other than that every thing with the fly screen worked fine. I did have to tweak the brackets just a tad, to get it to center on the headlight.
Now I just gotta go for a ride on her!
:punk:
I'm so siked!

OK...
Here are the pics of my instrument cowl!

And I gotta say WoW!
Normally at 70 the wind starts pulling on me, letting me know I'm haulin ass. But this morning... I hit 85 and had no clue I was over 60.
Damn I LOVE THIS MOD!
I still gotta tweak the brackets just a bit more, cause it still off a wee bit.

Attachments

• Baby2_3-31-08.jpg
    Baby2_3-31-08.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Baby1_3-31-08.jpg
    Baby1_3-31-08.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Baby_3-31-08.jpg
    Baby_3-31-08.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 147
Lol, that's what I've been saying for a long time. It ain't just a decoration. lol

Looks good!

OK...
Here are the pics of my instrument cowl!

And I gotta say WoW!
Normally at 70 the wind starts pulling on me, letting me know I'm haulin ass. But this morning... I hit 85 and had no clue I was over 60.
Damn I LOVE THIS MOD!
I still gotta tweak the brackets just a bit more, cause it still off a wee bit.
cowboy do you notice more wind noise ?

Looks nice 82ndCowboy! John R I hope you get yours back running and you can log some miles behind your new windscreen too!
My givi airstar doesn't seen to fit as well as yours 82nd, but I am gonns play with it a little more and maybe add a spacer or something. It seems to be too wide as I had to squeeze it together to get it on. Once I get it right I will write up what I did and take pictures.

Last edited:
What is the brand name of the screen? It is better looking (to me) than the OEM screen. It also looks a little larger and is shaped differently. May that be why it seems to work better than the OEM?

cowboy do you notice more wind noise ?

There is some buffeting at my helmet. But it doesn't seem any worse than before. I think now that all the wind is off my chest, it's more noticeable through my head. When I first started riding the Max my head bobbed all over the place from the wind till I got use to it. I think the same thing will happen now, after a few hundred miles, I'll get used to it.
I wear a full faced Shoei and listen to music with my new Scala Rider Q2 headset, and I haven't noticed any sound difference since putting on the instrument cowl. I can still hear my music just fine.

I removed my windscreen over the winter (mostly because my wife made fun of me for having it on). I couldn't believe the difference it made as well! 60mph with it off was like 120mph with it on! I was shocked at the amount of pressure the wind put on your body with it off! I somewhat agree with my wife and don't really like the looks, but here was something I messed around with today. I got some free opaque black vinyl from a buddy. I didn't have enough to do the whole thing, so I decided to use the muscle stripe look to help spread out the vinyl, but still didn't have enough (notice the sides) I was concerned with how it would lay on the complex curves of the fly screen so this was more of a test run than anything. I do like the look and will experiment with different types of window tint... maybe something you can actually see through, but will still darken it up.

Let me know what you think.

Jeff

Attachments

• P1010025.jpg
    P1010025.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 88
  • P1010026.jpg
    P1010026.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 70
  • P1010027.jpg
    P1010027.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 75
  • P1010028.jpg
    P1010028.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 91
There is some buffeting at my helmet. But it doesn't seem any worse than before. I think now that all the wind is off my chest, it's more noticeable through my head. When I first started riding the Max my head bobbed all over the place from the wind till I got use to it. I think the same thing will happen now, after a few hundred miles, I'll get used to it.
I wear a full faced Shoei and listen to music with my new Scala Rider Q2 headset, and I haven't noticed any sound difference since putting on the instrument cowl. I can still hear my music just fine.

thanks for that info cowboy

I removed my windscreen over the winter (mostly because my wife made fun of me for having it on). I couldn't believe the difference it made as well! 60mph with it off was like 120mph with it on! I was shocked at the amount of pressure the wind put on your body with it off! I somewhat agree with my wife and don't really like the looks, but here was something I messed around with today. I got some free opaque black vinyl from a buddy. I didn't have enough to do the whole thing, so I decided to use the muscle stripe look to help spread out the vinyl, but still didn't have enough (notice the sides) I was concerned with how it would lay on the complex curves of the fly screen so this was more of a test run than anything. I do like the look and will experiment with different types of window tint... maybe something you can actually see through, but will still darken it up.

Jeff

I could see painting the back black and putting red stripes on it... Now THAT would look cool! I would only use it for highway use though. Maybe I'm spoiled as if I plan to ride long distances on the highway I will use my SV...:whistlin: Although a lot of people put larger screens on them but I always stuck with the stock height as the tall ones take away from the low lean look...

Just my taste I guess. My Max is more for cruising around town and trying to make me look cool... Key word being trying...:whistlin::icon_rolleyes:

Jeff
That's a great idea, it looks pretty cool. Is that stuff just the static cling type or is it sticky?

I've had mine since the day I got my bike home, so I don't even remeber what it's like without it. I might try something like what you are doing though!

Last edited:
Back