oil filter spring...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayvin53

Reaction score
Ok, a noob question for sure, but the last bike I had with a cartridge type oil filter was an 83 Maxim XJ750--I found a spring in the used oil I just drained, and vaguely remember the Maxim having a spring to push the filter cartridge away from the engine block so the filter would cover the holes in the center tube where the oil gets pumped through. Does this spring belong to the filter cover/cartridge assembly, or is it from another one of my vehicles? If it does belong, first you put the filter on the tube toward the outside of the filter cover, then the spring goes on the tube on the engine side...is that right?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Vin

There is a spring that goes on the oil filter bolt along with a washer, etc. Either the parts manual, shop manual or owners manual should show the sequence, etc for changing the filter. You can download any of those items from here or the VMOA site.

Yeah, I finally checked the shop manual and the washer and spring goes on the bypass pipe before the filter...just the opposite of what I thought. Thinking about the spin-on adapter as a future upgrade, but I think I read something about needed to do a frame mod for it. Hmmm.
Thanks, m-c.

It is not really a frame "mod". You just replace the lower bolt-on cross brace with the curved one from models that have a spin-on filter. I think it is from 96 on. My 95 was like yours and my 97 has the spin-on filter.

Back