Oil leak??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgediesel59

Reaction score
Well guys many of you regulars probably remember my journey last year with building a 1428 chain drive mostly from used parts that Sean had. I build a lot of engines so it was not my first by any means. The block was honed, new pistons, and rings that were all end gapped properly etc. My bike ran like a total monster last year, even with a 4 over swing arm i had a hard time keeping the front end down in first and second. But pretty much the entire year I have a very small oil leak that I never could track. I first thought it was coming from the oil cooler area in the valley of the engine as I had to wait 2 weeks for a gasket or run the used one, so I reused it. So needless to say I replaced that and thought everything should be good and be damned it was still leaking. So I started following things around and found that the air box had a bunch of oil in it. So I am unsure why I have oil blow by in the air box but its irritating after spending tons on shiney stuff and it just looks dirty all the time being covered in oil! The bike runs amazingly strong so I have a hard time believing there is a major problem with the engine. Any help would be appreciated as I would like to get a few more miles on this year. I was kind of disappointed that I didnt even burn up half a rear tire last year!!!

Don't run the oil more then 1/2 way up the window. More then that creates a lot of windage in the crankcase.

You could also do a cylinder leakage test to rule out excessive blow-by.

Can you see where the oil tracks out of the air box? Dust some talc to try and confirm this.

Another common source of oil leak is from the LHF or RHR left hand inlet retaining screw.

Another part that may cause oil leakage is the y shaped rigid tubing that connects the front and rear heads and the middle section. If you tight the banjo bolts a bit too much on the heads (M8) it may leak as the banjos will collapse and leak by the washers, that thing is brass and very ductile. I had that problem once and had to disassemble the carbs and intakes twice to fix it right!...

Yes, You can go through a number of threads where I suggested to quit running the level so high and it solved the problem of oil in the airbox.

Sean

Yes, You can go through a number of threads where I suggested to quit running the level so high and it solved the problem of oil in the airbox.

Sean

This works, found a little HP from it too because of less windage from the level being too high. Thanks Sean!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Sean

Sean
Hey Sean I bought this bike back last early summer. It’s an 07 super clean has some Mods done to it Barnett clutch and a few cosmetics but I’m just not sure about what I can’t see. While getting to know the bike came across this in the Air box. Hard to tell I know but the pictures are pretty accurate it’s for Sure Motor oil and Not the Filter lub. The bike Runs like a beast as hard as I want to run it so performance is there. How much oil is To much and say Damn we got big problems? And is there a way to tell if the Carbs have punched and tinkered with. It does Run a Bit Rich but not so bad the red lights stink: i did fix the stuck slide
Thanks For Your Time.

Clyde

Attachments

• B6285B32-CA21-48EC-9A1F-2F2EA8203DC7.jpeg
    B6285B32-CA21-48EC-9A1F-2F2EA8203DC7.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 713D6DE3-70E1-461C-8DC7-9E6D71D093DD.jpeg
    713D6DE3-70E1-461C-8DC7-9E6D71D093DD.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 21
  • C40743F9-8FCD-4E60-B47A-D62E5EE9078C.jpeg
    C40743F9-8FCD-4E60-B47A-D62E5EE9078C.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 1F9E379A-D32F-47C1-A928-85421853A33E.jpeg
    1F9E379A-D32F-47C1-A928-85421853A33E.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 19
I don't see that as excessive at all. I can't quite make out the needle on that 3rd pic but here's the available types out there (most of them anyway)

Attachments

• IMG_20170130_164301041.jpg
    IMG_20170130_164301041.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 15
I don't see that as excessive at all. I can't quite make out the needle on that 3rd pic but here's the available types out there (most of them anyway)
I’m not a Guru of Carbs so pardon me, is that needle on the Slide the determining factor as to a specific Carb set up

Latest posts

Back