Oil...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwood

Reaction score
I have owned my max for 6months now and preparing for its first oil change... How much oil does the vmax hold and what brand and weight is recommended from the fine group here?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yamalube non-synthetic 20w50 will be used in my vmax. I just bought 1 gallon for $23 at the dealer. If you look around you should find it for less than that. Depending on how well you drain the oil it should take 3.25 to 3.75 qt of oil with a filter change. If you go to advance auto you can order a chrome K&N oil filter for $12 to $15. Tell them autozone has it for $12 and advance will price match the price. It might be a little more money but you cant go wrong with yamalube and K&N. Make sure You put 3qt in and start the max so the filter can fill than shut the max down and with the bike on center stand look at the oil level site glass and see how low it is. If you need to add go slow and pay attention to how much you poor and see how high it go's up the site glass. I keep my site glass 7/8 full. This way you have a good amount of oil in your max and when you want to see if the level is ok you can tell with a quick glance because you have a clear line.

^ agreed... all i ever use. its pricy but with the type of abuse the bike gets. its what i trust.

evan...

Ask ten people and you will get twenty different answers!

Within reason i.e. NOT an non 'economy' brand it probably doesn't matter.

I've used mineral 20W-50 and semi synthetic 10W-40, which is my oil of choice.
As to the brand, Yamaha, Motul, Castrol, Heine Gerricke - none of them have caused the motor to seize thus my comment in the first sentence.

3.5 liters without filter replacement.
3.8 liters with filter replacement.

10W40 for colder weather or less mileage bikes.
20W50 for warmer weathers and higher mileage bikes.

All mineral.
I personally use Castrol but the brand doesn't matter... Is all the same...
Used to use expensive royal purple but im ditching that one. No need for such fancy thing and its not what the engine needs. I buy Castrol at $4.50 each liter.

Thanks for the quick responses, i did find the the max holds 4.01 quarts of oil with filter change..

Since the can of worms is already opened...
Just my $.02 I used to use Royal Purple in any two wheeled vehicle I owned. Recently I have converted to diesel oil ( either Mobil Delvac, Shell Rotella etc. ) On both my Max and Wife's Kawasaki Dual Sport.
Not only are diesel oils inexpensive, they also come in 15-40 which is tight in the viscosity range everyone mentioned above but they also have higher zinc content ( like a bike specific oil ) which is beneficial to wet clutches.
I would say rather than what oil TO use it is more important to know what NOT to use. Whether you go Dino or full synthetic, car, bike, diesel specific, top shelf or bargain avoid one thing: If the oil has the " energy conserving " starburst symbol on the back do not put it in a bike. It will hasten the demise of your clutch plates.

Since the can of worms is already opened...
Just my $.02 I used to use Royal Purple in any two wheeled vehicle I owned. Recently I have converted to diesel oil ( either Mobil Delvac, Shell Rotella etc. ) On both my Max and Wife's Kawasaki Dual Sport.
Not only are diesel oils inexpensive, they also come in 15-40 which is tight in the viscosity range everyone mentioned above but they also have higher zinc content ( like a bike specific oil ) which is beneficial to wet clutches.
I would say rather than what oil TO use it is more important to know what NOT to use. Whether you go Dino or full synthetic, car, bike, diesel specific, top shelf or bargain avoid one thing: If the oil has the " energy conserving " starburst symbol on the back do not put it in a bike. It will hasten the demise of your clutch plates.

+1 I use rotella 15-40. Never had an issue.

I am still confused over how much oil the vmax holds, the service manual states 5.0 us quarts,... With out filter change 3. Something quarts and with filter change 4.1 quarts.... So what is it 5.0 quarts or 4.1 ???????

I am still confused over how much oil the vmax holds, the service manual states 5.0 us quarts,... With out filter change 3. Something quarts and with filter change 4.1 quarts.... So what is it 5.0 quarts or 4.1 ???????

As per the owner's manual:

periodic oil change (no filter) 3.2L / 3.4 US quarts

oil change with filter rep. 3.4L / 3.6 US quarts

TOTAL amount 4.0L / 4.2 US quarts

The reason the total is more, is because you can never drain ALL the oil unless you split the cases. So 0.6L stays in at every oil change, filter or not.

^ Did you check the site glass on the right side of the Bike, 4 qts is probably too much.
The Oil should be at about 3/4 level in the site glass with the bike cold and level.

Mine only takes a little over 3 1/2 Qts when I change the Filter and Oil.

Back