Oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
Just got some 20w50 for the max. Gonna start getting cooler here now so thinking maybe I should have gone with the 15w40?
I can still take back and switch it, think I should? Yamalube btw.

Also why do I hear a lot of bad things about synthetics in the max? I was gonna go synthetic 15w40 but reading some posts I thought I shouldn't

Ehhhh...see the big oil sticky thread if you want, but the general consensus is to just run whatever the hell you want. There are no oils that stand out as significantly better or worse. Just avoid "energy conserving" or "high mileage" labeled oils, as these have friction modifiers that can cause your clutch to slip. There has also been no meaningful difference identified between "motorcycle" branded oils, and regular ones for automotive use. Many people here run heavy-duty(diesel) oils since they have higher zinc additive levels(good for transmissions).

For "dino" vs synthetic it's again personal choice and how much you want to pay. I'd stick with whatever was run in the bike before, if you know.

I'm sure Yamalube is perfectly decent oil, but it's only sold at dealers which means it costs 3x more than it should- it's like $12/quart at the local stealership. I'd run 10-40.....unless you ride in 100+ climates there is really no need for 20-50 and it just puts more strain on your oil pump when cold.

Just got some 20w50 for the max. Gonna start getting cooler here now so thinking maybe I should have gone with the 15w40?
I can still take back and switch it, think I should? Yamalube btw.

Also why do I hear a lot of bad things about synthetics in the max? I was gonna go synthetic 15w40 but reading some posts I thought I shouldn't
I changed mine 2-3 weeks ago and went with 10w-40. Don't need the higher grade at this point.

im gonna go get some yamalube 10w40
cos im not planning on changing it again before it got cold. I put 20w50 in for the summer as im in Louisiana

Also i get yama stuff at cost so price for me there is actually cheaper than regular oils

im gonna go get some yamalube 10w40
cos im not planning on changing it again before it got cold. I put 20w50 in for the summer as im in Louisiana

Also i get yama stuff at cost so price for me there is actually cheaper than regular oils

That's what I run. Yamalube 20w50 in the summer and 10w40 this time of year... I may try 10w40 next summer too and see....??

10w 40 year round in the northeast does it for me. Name brand oil on sale the day I want it. I change it often, with the filter. If 5w 40 was available I'd use that instead. My engine temp is now stable in all seasons with fan switch upgrade, so no 50w's needed here.
Steve

10w 40 year round in the northeast does it for me. Name brand oil on sale the day I want it. I change it often, with the filter. If 5w 40 was available I'd use that instead. My engine temp is now stable in all seasons with fan switch upgrade, so no 50w's needed here.
Steve

Ya, I flushed my coolant this past summer and cleaned the sytem really well, then refilled with Engine Ice, also installed a bypass switch on my fan. Temp now stays comfortably below half.

Back