Old school headlight conversion mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrape

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fire-Medic got me started on this idea and I have been digging into it hard. Keep in mind that I don't ride at night anymore due to my old eyes but I do want a decent performance. I should have thrown this out there before I pulled the trigger on this but I just ordered what I will need to do the job. I am old and want an old-school look for the bike's headlight. The Vrod headlight and such is not old-school enough for me. I ordered a 7"X 6" deep round chrome bullet shaped bucket with the 2 ears on the bottom. It has an H4 halogen sealed beam headlight that should work just fine for me and has the old-school look. I measured everything and the light assembly should fit perfect and fiil the space plus have room in the bucket to hold the rat nest of wires. I don't know yet but I will probably have to drill it out and add a grommet to get them in right. I had to order the lower headlight mount because mine is missing from the aftermarket light assembly. I should be able to work the mount bolt to align with the ear holes on the bucket. I'll get it to work anyway. I will fill the spaces up between the headlight ears and the mount with nice rubber and stainless washers to get the headlight held tight enough in there. I may have to use threaded rod with acorn nut ends and double nut the ears tight. If I can get all of that to work, which I will even if I have to use a mig welder, I am going to possibly use part of the old headlight unit to make a cowell for the top to dress it off. Just an idea but will need the headlight assembly in place to see for sure. I need to pretty up where the original headlight attached at the top area anyway with something, if the cowell idea doesn't work.

What do you think? Has anyone did it this way? I don't know if I will have to tag the bucket to the top headlight mount yet to make it stable but I will cross that bridge when I get there. I have some ideas anyway if I have to go there.

I will show the progress in this thread after the parts arrive and I can get to work. Wish me luck. By the way I saw lights that used brackets that attached to the forks but I didn't like it. Probably would have been easier but the brackets show and it looks after market IMO

Last edited:
From another thread:
I consider the OEM headlamp inadequate,
  • 5-1/4" is OEM.

Here's a replacement that uses CREE LED's, which are supposed to be the gold standard from what I've read. Note it requires a larger bucket.
    www.ledperf.us

Round LED headlight for Yamaha V-Max 1200 - 5 year warranty

CREE LED headlight optic approved for Yamaha V-Max 1200, gives a modern look to your motorbike. Powerful pure white lighting, dual position (high and low beam), plug and play thanks to its H4 connectors. Delivery 24H, free shipping!
    www.ledperf.us
    www.ledperf.us
    I use a 7" round headlamp and a H-D lens, w/a halogen bulb. Downtube headlamp brackets are used, I suggest using something which allows for rubber insulation in the bucket's 'ears' mounting, to help with minimizing vibration. Remember to '92 is 40mm and '93-'07 is 43mm for downtube size.

This EMGO 7" bucket is what I use:

Emgo Black 7 in. Headlight - 66-64313 Harley Motorcycle - Dennis Kirk

Find the Emgo Black 7 in. Headlight - 66-64313 at Dennis Kirk. Shop our complete selection of Harley Motorcycle parts and accessories including the Emgo Black 7 in. Headlight - 66-64313.
    www.denniskirk.com
    www.denniskirk.com
    The EMGO and the CREE 7" in one of their styles would be a good choice.

Someone thinking of a 5-3/4" bucket may be thinking of a Lucas-style product (British bikes)

Emgo Black 5-3/4 in. Lucas Styled Side Mount Headlight Shell - 66-65074 Harley Motorcycle - Dennis Kirk

Find the Emgo Black 5-3/4 in. Lucas Styled Side Mount Headlight Shell - 66-65074 at Dennis Kirk. Shop our complete selection of Harley Motorcycle parts and accessories including the Emgo Black 5-3/4 in. Lucas Styled Side Mount Headlight Shell - 66-65074.
    www.denniskirk.com
    www.denniskirk.com

• Another thread:
  • Read this whole thing, several options: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29953&highlight=emgo

I suggest you do not use the the non-rubber-gasketed, single screw headlamp mounting 'ears.' Get the rubber-insert ones for 43 mm downtubes, which use two screws to affix each bracket to the downtube. Why? Because the non-rubber donut brackets will transfer vibrations to the bulb filament, making it oscillate like a struck tuning fork, greatly shortening its life. And the single-screw won't hold things as-tightly as the double-screw mount.

Can't get much cheaper than this! $40 black, $47 chrome. Keep a good coat of wax on it if you get the chrome. Emgo Side-Mount Cafe Headlight | 10% ($6.69) Off! - RevZilla You will need to source the mounting brackets, remember 43 mm, double bolt mount, and rubber inserts. I suppose you could use a rigid mount bracket if you had a big rubber donut between the bracket and the headlamp bucket, but you might find that the bucket shifts position over time, if you don't have the bracket tightened sufficiently.

This doesn't appear to have the rubber insert, so your bulb longevity may suffer, but they look good and are the correct 43 mm size: https://www.amazon.com/Speedmotoco-...rd_wg=YsXn2&psc=1&refRID=VCCHWJBZVC458V8DYNXR
The double-bolt headlamp brackets provide a better mount than the single-bolt mounting brackets. Remember 40 mm for up to 1992, then 43 mm for 1993-'07.

• 1696507657375.png
Using a pair of Vise-Grips to bring the bracket together for an easier installation. I used stainless steel hardware and nylok nuts.
  • 1696507685341.png
Using rubber washers at the 'ears' for better control of vibration, to make the components last longer.

• 1696507710245.png1696507736756.png1696507764864.png
You want some good parts for your installation, or to add electrical circuits to your bike, try Eastern Beaver. I doubt anyone opening this link will not buy some things!
https://www.easternbeaver.com/
https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/USB/usb.html
1696509840203.png
https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/USB/usb.html
Want to add some accessories?

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/PC-8R/PC-8R_PDM.html
1696510060233.png

Update your regulator/rectifier: Shindengen FH020AA, FH0012AA, SH847 Mosfet Rectifiers & Rectifier Wiring Kits

1696510376031.png

Last edited:
Heres the thing with those units, referring to the back side. They tuck up tight so you don't see the back, which is ugly. I like to see the back of the headlight like any teardrop headlight that you see on choppers and springers ect. Then you use the bucket's interior to hide the wires. I will have to work out vibration. Unfortunately, I purchased the unit but can get LED kits for it also if needed. I have to read your post over but I want a chrome bullet shaped headlight bucket. I also don't like the mini shield to hide things and act as a cowell also. It's cafe racer looking and I am going for an old-school naked bike look. That setup looks nice, don't get me wrong, but not what I am visioning for this build.

Last edited:
Kind of hard putting my vision into words but it will be clearer when I start it. Real old school setup that will make the Harley boys take notice

Somewhere around here I have an old CB headlight that someone will eventually want to buy. Too big for me but not everyone has the same taste. Most like my high output bulb kit.

Attachments

• IMG_20150605_094636401_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150605_094636401_HDR.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20150605_094645442_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150605_094645442_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 2
Somewhere around here I have an old CB headlight that someone will eventually want to buy. Too big for me but not everyone has the same taste. Most like my high output bulb kit.

I would have been interested in that headlight maybe and I find the bike interesting also. The headlight fits that bike nicely and hope mine turns out looking as good as that. It looks like an old school factory build that came that way. Nice work

Last edited:
My, that's a 'big-un!' What's that, an 8" housing/bezel? I like the 7" better. To each his own.

Retro.jpg

This is what i'm talking about brother, a prime example of making something old-school and this is what the Vmax could have been if it wanted to. Totally retro, except those forks but I wouldn't complain if it was mine. I actually want those forks on my bike so Onetodmax has a big one up on me there.

Ok, it's almost together but this is what it looks like. I opted to keep the wires outside of the bucket because I guess halogens get real hot. Found a good spot low and zip tie to the cables. I have them organized and just have to fix them with braided wire loom and secure bound together. I put a stack of rubber washers under the light mounting bracket for vibration. I can also tighten the bolt and compress them on either side to align the headlight from side to side. I also sandwiched rubber washers/metal washers/nut to secure the headlight ears to the mount bolt and tighten/secure it for up and down alignment also. Everything is working out as I had envisioned and am excited to ride it again.

Headlight 1.jpgHeadlight 2.jpgHeadlight 3.jpg

Yes, looks great! I like the retro look. 👈👍

I may have missed it, is it an 8 inch bezel?

On a H-D, where you can better see the top of the headlamp bucket, as you're riding, it's like a funhouse mirror, watching the bent images of the scenery as you tool-along. The rubber pieces will help to control vibration. Please provide us with a status report after you have used it at night a few times. You can always upgrade to an LED light array if you decide to amp-up your lighting. Since they come with their own lamp lens, you don't need to worry about light 'scatter' from using a traditional fluting pattern and just adding an LED lamp.

It's a 7 inch headlamp and the bezel is like 7 1/2" OD. I am so glad it's almost done and turned out real stable with just the one attachment point.

I would have been interested in that headlight maybe and I find the bike interesting also. The headlight fits that bike nicely and hope mine turns out looking as good as that. It looks like an old school factory build that came that way. Nice work
I probably have the light around here still. You'd have to fab up some different mounting brackets though i'm sure for the small Vmax standard forks. I am not sure what they are worth these days so I would need to check and see.

Fire-Medic got me started on this idea and I have been digging into it hard. Keep in mind that I don't ride at night anymore due to my old eyes but I do want a decent performance. I should have thrown this out there before I pulled the trigger on this but I just ordered what I will need to do the job. I am old and want an old-school look for the bike's headlight. The Vrod headlight and such is not old-school enough for me. I ordered a 7"X 6" deep round chrome bullet shaped bucket with the 2 ears on the bottom. It has an H4 halogen sealed beam headlight that should work just fine for me and has the old-school look. I measured everything and the light assembly should fit perfect and fiil the space plus have room in the bucket to hold the rat nest of wires. I don't know yet but I will probably have to drill it out and add a grommet to get them in right. I had to order the lower headlight mount because mine is missing from the aftermarket light assembly. I should be able to work the mount bolt to align with the ear holes on the bucket. I'll get it to work anyway. I will fill the spaces up between the headlight ears and the mount with nice rubber and stainless washers to get the headlight held tight enough in there. I may have to use threaded rod with acorn nut ends and double nut the ears tight. If I can get all of that to work, which I will even if I have to use a mig welder, I am going to possibly use part of the old headlight unit to make a cowell for the top to dress it off. Just an idea but will need the headlight assembly in place to see for sure. I need to pretty up where the original headlight attached at the top area anyway with something, if the cowell idea doesn't work.

What do you think? Has anyone did it this way? I don't know if I will have to tag the bucket to the top headlight mount yet to make it stable but I will cross that bridge when I get there. I have some ideas anyway if I have to go there.

I will show the progress in this thread after the parts arrive and I can get to work. Wish me luck. By the way I saw lights that used brackets that attached to the forks but I didn't like it. Probably would have been easier but the brackets show and it looks after market IMO
Sealight H4 bulb works great in my gen2

Back