optimal setup with stock shocks?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbutera2112

Reaction score
im 270lbs, and like to hit twisties (well, as much as i can on a vmax).....how should i have the shocks adjusted?

I am about the same weight and had the spring rate set as firm as was comfortable for most of the riding I do, mostly fast cruising. I don't have a good road to actually call twisty's but I do have a couple that I can get a bit of feel on. The stockers just never felt planted and would wallow badly on one particular bumpy long down hill sweeper at about 80 mph.
Since I installed Progressive HD440 rear shock to go with my Progressive 2" lower front springs I was able to go 10 mph faster without all the drama of excessive wallowing. The bike handles more confidently through the same fast bumpy sweeper from just adding the 440's.
I now have added Delrin motor mounts and a better front tire (Metz 880 vs. Shinko M230) but have yet to try out the new setup on the corners. It should be a little better, probably more precise steering with even less wallowing, I will get to it once it warms back up again. I'll try to remember to post back here.

Last edited:
I never did find the sweet spot on the stock shocks, no matter what combination of preload/damper adjustment that I tried. I than tried the Progressive 412 11.5" shocks and found them to be better, but still couldn't find the sweet spot. I know have the Progressive 440's 12" and found the sweet spot! IMO these shocks fit the Vmax very well. Easy to adjust, no tools needed. Unfortunately, they are not cheap unless you get lucky and find a great deal, like some of us members, but either way, definitely worth the money.

Mike

i dont wanna mod the bike at all...ill be retiring it soon and getting something else, so im just wondering what to do with what i have now....would turning it all up to stiffest make it better for handling?

Back