Order of events after rebuilding carbs....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlopes

Reaction score
Hello all you carb heads. Ok, I see all these fantastic write ups on rebuilding and adding jet kits. So what about the aftermath of pain that lies ahead? How can we minimize the time it takes to dial it all in? I'm talking A/F screws, which needle clip, all of the jet sizes, ETC.....

Before we slap them on the bike and start anything, I know the wet float level must be right (15mm-17mm) before we start anything. Without this being correct, nothing will come together in the end.

Ok, lets start with a fresh clean set of carbs, good float levels, all new gaskets, a good visual pre bench sync, and were just rebuilt. Let's say they also had a stage 7 or Morley Jet kit installed.

BAM....we slap them on the bike. We back the A/F Mixture screws out 2.5 turns for a good starting place. She doesn't like anything and won't start. What's next?

Another scenario, say we do get her started, but she runs rough and is impossible to sync. What's next?

If we can get her idling with small pops and cracks, but you can only get one or two cylinders to register on the sync tool. Where do you start?

Do we start with A/F Mix Screws? Main jets? Needle clip position? PAJ1 or PAJ2? There has to be course adjustments before you get to the fine tuning adjustment.

Just questions from a guy with just enough info to start the job and get close, but not enough info to get himself into trouble.......this pretty much goes with anything I do. LOL.

I really want to know what each adjustment has an effect on.

Change PAJ 1 to a smaller size and X happens.....Larger and Y happens.

Needle clip closer to the blunt end....farther.....

So on and so fourth. Maybe a flow chart can be created like the faulty charging flow chart?

vacuum leak. Probably cracked boots, loose airbox, poorly seated carbs, or cracked vacuum port caps.

vacuum leak. Probably cracked boots, loose airbox, poorly seated carbs, or cracked vacuum port caps.

I'm not saying this is happening now...it's all theoretical. I have brand new boots all around. I am asking because all of my rebuild parts are on their way here so I can do a fresh rebuild and I want to become a bit smarter on all of the parts that can be changed out or adjusted to different sizes. What happens when you go bigger or smaller and what are the side effects of doing so.

Latest posts

Back