Peashooter sea foam question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TB99Max

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put seafoam in the choke vent and PAJ1 but the information I found doesn't say the amount?? It says use a syringe from a vet supply or autoparts store which I have but doesn't mention the amount!

I fill my syringe multiple times and let it drip directly in sloooowly while the bike is idling.

Well..... I didn't see that response and only did 1 2.5cc for each choke vent and each PAJ and that didn't do the trick! Still does does out of gas spit, stumble, sputter, from 55-85mph! Tomorrow I'll do it again and do 2 syringes full in each one and see if that does it?? Other than that I'm kind of stumped! Or maybe replace the main jet??

Well..... I didn't see that response and only did 1 2.5cc for each choke vent and each PAJ and that didn't do the trick! Still does does out of gas spit, stumble, sputter, from 55-85mph! Tomorrow I'll do it again and do 2 syringes full in each one and see if that does it?? Other than that I'm kind of stumped! Or maybe replace the main jet??

You probably do not need to change any jet- Just get the jetblock and clean the pilot jet.
Does it feel like it is running out of gas? If so it could float height.

Well if the pea shooter doesn't do the trick....I would then do the shotgun.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I think something other than the peashooter is in order if it's happening on the road. Will it idle normally without choke?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes it will idle normally and runs fine in gears 1st-3rd, I can just about redline it in first and second with no spuddering or hesitating at all! It's so strange! 4th and 5th from 55mph-85mph runs like dog poop. I have to give it a lot of throttle then it will accelerate but not like it should.
If it's the float height, what needs to be done to correct it? Is there a thread I could read over about it?

Last edited:
Yes it will idle normally and runs fine in gears 1st-3rd, I can just about redline it in first and second with no spuddering or hesitating at all! It's so strange! 4th and 5th from 55mph-85mph runs like dog poop. I have to give it a lot of throttle then it will accelerate but not like it should.
If it's the float height, what needs to be done to correct it? Is there a thread I could read over about it?

Before you pull the carbs....and get into the floats (unless you just feel enjoying the hassle) have you considered doing a shotgun? Its a MORE INTENSE way of cleaning the idle jets that just a pea shooter.

Here is how lvlhead described it from his site.

Shooting the Shotgun is the term used as a resolution to, what I thought, was a very terrible problem that happened to my Max. I hope these instructions will aid someone in curing their own Max of this horrible ailment, should it unfortunately happen. This problem seems to be common.
Let me also add that this problem did not progressively get worse. It happened all at once, which made me think something else (ignition system) may have been wrong.
Symptoms:

Max ran like dog doo doo. Would run ok with choke on, but if you cut the choke off, it would seem like three cylinders running. Almost like a bad plug condition. A check of the plugs revealed maybe one fuel fowled plug. Changed the plugs and the problem still existed.

The bike made a lot of noise, but had no Cajones. I could have been passed by a slug.

It would often go SNAP, CRACKLE, POP right off of idle, but get her up in the RPMs @ WFO and it would seem uhh...ok.

What had happened was a plugged circuit in my carburetor(s).

It takes under an hr to do.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

The shotgun works great as long as the clog isn't in the PFJ.

I really really don't want to pull the carbs!! I guess tomorrow I'll be trying the shotgun method, HOPEFULLY it fixes this issue! The less money spent the better, I have my wife telling me "see you shouldn't have bought that thing" I've only had it for 2 weeks and it's been doing this for 1 week..... Kind of sucks!

I will be really surprised if the shotgun doesnt work. Some people have had to do it twice....but even that is kinda rare.

Thanks again guys! I'll definetly keep everyone posted on the results.

Dood, I've been having an annoying stumble since I got my 91, 2 years ago. It would start to stumble 4K and go smooth around 5K. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled the carbs to fix this issue. Ultra sonic cleaning and shit.. Even coated my gas tank to fully eliminate any rust starting up again. Fuel system looks like pure water has been used for fuel.

Anyway, about 2 months ago, I did yet another Seafoam Peashooter on my bike.. Still had the problem. On the back of the can, it stated (I don't remember the exact text), that you can pour it directly into you tank. One bottle treats something like 8-12 gallons. So, I poured 1/2 bottle into the 4 gallon tank and filled up. I rode it like this till my tank got down to about 1/4 full. All of a sudden, I noticed that the hesitation was gone. So far, its been powering from idle to WOT with NO hesitation at all.
Nothing wrong with doing the regular peashooter method, but "In the tank" worked for me.

Hope this helps - Good luck..

Dood, I've been having an annoying stumble since I got my 91, 2 years ago. It would start to stumble 4K and go smooth around 5K. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled the carbs to fix this issue. Ultra sonic cleaning and shit.. Even coated my gas tank to fully eliminate any rust starting up again. Fuel system looks like pure water has been used for fuel.

Anyway, about 2 months ago, I did yet another Seafoam Peashooter on my bike.. Still had the problem. On the back of the can, it stated (I don't remember the exact text), that you can pour it directly into you tank. One bottle treats something like 8-12 gallons. So, I poured 1/2 bottle into the 4 gallon tank and filled up. I rode it like this till my tank got down to about 1/4 full. All of a sudden, I noticed that the hesitation was gone. So far, its been powering from idle to WOT with NO hesitation at all.
Nothing wrong with doing the regular peashooter method, but "In the tank" worked for me.

Hope this helps - Good luck..

That may be because "in the tank" allows the chems to clean the fuel passages of our carbs, while the peashooter may help clean some of the airways through them. Combined, the fuel passages and the airways are able to get just that right amount of A/F mixture required for smooth, carefree idling and acceleration. Start to block of either one or both of those passages/airways and you have problems.

I just tried the sea foam in the tank and nothing changed. I rode about 25 or so miles stop gased up put the sea foam in and immediately drove another 24-25 miles and no change at all. I did notice that it seems to come on in 4th and 5th gear at about 3,800RPM..... So I guess I'm onto the shotgun method.

I rode about 25 or so miles stop gased up put the sea foam in and immediately drove another 24-25 miles and no change at all.
Mine took about 3/4 of a tank before I noticed the fix. That was around 75+ miles, give or take.

I just tried the sea foam in the tank and nothing changed. I rode about 25 or so miles stop gased up put the sea foam in and immediately drove another 24-25 miles and no change at all. I did notice that it seems to come on in 4th and 5th gear at about 3,800RPM..... So I guess I'm onto the shotgun method.
I'm thinking, jet block cruddy. Try some carb cleaner right into the bowl vents while running. A couple of good 2 second blast. PFJ's, like Mark mentioned, are hard to unclog. The orifice is tiny and even pushing a wire into it is difficult sometimes.
Steve-o

OK guys......... I kind of feel stupid here so go easy on me! For some reason when I did the peashooter fix I backed out the PAJ1 2 full turns instead of the A/F mixture screw on the side of the carbs! I'm guessing I should try it again to see if that helps. Also, I checked my fuel economy and I'm only getting 28-28.5mpg and thats over a 142 mile span with probably 120 of those miles being freeway driving at 75-80mph. I dont know what mods have been done except the two bros C-series exhaust, K&N oval filter and I would assume something had to be done to the carbs because the guy I bought it from had a dyno sheet that had a best H.P. of 123.1
And yes I put the PAJ screws back to normal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back