Potential VMAX purchase

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek_Law

Reaction score
Ok guys, I didn't want to hijack that other thread, so I thought I'd post here.

I've been looking for a max for a while. I have chased a few leads, but none have gone through ... obviously.

Now I'm looking at a 1998 Max with 8900 miles. The seller is the original owner. The carfax report is clean and also shows 1 owner. He says he has a free and clear title.

Unfortunately, the bike lived in Florida for 6-7 years and he says it has some salt air "pitting" and "weathering." I'm not sure what that is going to translate into, and I don't have any pics. I asked him for some, but he informed me that at 57 years old, he's not technical and has no interest in learning to be. :bang head:

He says the bike has a new rear tire, but the original front tire that needs to be replaced. He says it also idles a bit rough and he thinks it needs a tune up. He says he's had 3x maxes and loves them, but has 4x bikes now so this one has to go. He says it isn't into wheelies and hot-rodding it (hard to say, but probably true) and that the bike is mechanically in great shape.

So, you now know what I know. So I put it to the experts here. Given my extreme level of ignorance with respect to the Vmax, are there any red flags in what I said above. What do you think such a bike is worth? Anything that I can look for, test, or check when I go test drive it this evening?

Your thoughts are very sincerely appreciated. If need be, I can pass, but if this is a good bike and a good deal, then I want to snap it up.

Let me have it :confused2:

He sounds like a gear head rather then a techno freak so at his age I could see him not being into the 'digital age'. How far are you from him? Is it worth the trip to go look at the bike? Of course.... if he were a gear head then the bike would not be 'running rough'.... I dunno. Go see it and take it for a rip.

He sounds like a gear head rather then a techno freak so at his age I could see him not being into the 'digital age'. How far are you from him? Is it worth the trip to go look at the bike? Of course.... if he were a gear head then the bike would not be 'running rough'.... I dunno. Go see it and take it for a rip.

Yeah ... not sure what "rough" means. To some folks, an idle that is not smooth and steady is rough. To others, "rough" can mean that it may or may not start, and you have to ride with the choke in, and keep the RPM over 3K to prevent it from stalling :ummm:

Salt air DOES do some damage to things.

Where does it live now?

Chris

It now lives in Washington state. It's about 1.5 hours to get there from where I'm at. So I'm willing to make the drive.

He is asking for $3500.00. That's a pretty decent price if the bike is in good condition. I'm seeing them on ebay for right around there too, but of course, I'd have to pay $600-700 to have it shipped if I buy online.

However, the bikes on ebay around that price are very clean, cosmetically speaking. I'm a bit concerned about what he considers salt-air weathering and the running rough issue.

I'm perfectly happy to get the bike tuned up and perhaps even painted. But I'm not looking for a project bike that cannot be relied upon when needed, nor am I looking for a restoration project.

Ask him if he has any friends/family who might take some pics or a video clip for you and send them? 3 hours there and back will just piss you off if in fact it is in worse shape than he's letting on.

3500 is a good deal.

he may be a prefectionist. i wouldn't guess until ya see it ya know?

aside from the normal bike stuff, check out 2nd gear if you can. pound on it, make sure it doesn't pop out.

Go for the ride and check it out, it may pay dividends! It may be one to walk away from, at least you will only be out some gas money and half a day.

I love this multi-quote thing ... very slick.

Ask him if he has any friends/family who might take some pics or a video clip for you and send them? 3 hours there and back will just piss you off if in fact it is in worse shape than he's letting on.

Did that. No go. It's 3 hours round trip and we're gonna take the whole FAM and eat when we get there ... so that will make it feel like less of a journey.

3500 is a good deal.

he may be a prefectionist. i wouldn't guess until ya see it ya know?

aside from the normal bike stuff, check out 2nd gear if you can. pound on it, make sure it doesn't pop out.

Agreed. He talked about it like it was in AMAZING condition, but warned about the "salt air" weathering issue. It may very well be the sort of thing where it really isn't that bad. It may also be the sort of thing where he's brazingly mis-describing reality. I've had that happen to me before. Guy says on the phone, "oh its a sharp car, good looking, great condition, etc." I get up there to find bald tires and worn ulpholstry, flaking paint. Ugh.

As for the 2nd gear issue. That's EXACTLY the sort of advice I'm looking for. I'll give it a solid thumping in 2nd and see if it pops out of gear.

Go for the ride and check it out, it may pay dividends! It may be one to walk away from, at least you will only be out some gas money and half a day.

Ugh ... "half a day" ... that sounds pretty awful. Gas money is fine. Half a day wasted is not cool. But I agree, its worth at least checking out.

another thread talking about letting guys rid the bike and such, have you asked him if he will let you take it for a spin, might have to bring cash with you as collateral or at least put up your family hahah kidding
but at least he will know your serious if your coming all the way out to check the bike. the bike usually doenst have much problems in my experiance(not much lol) but general wear and tear, take good look at front end seals ,oil,tires bla bla bla and such, not that its hard to chg but give you a idea on how well he maintained the bike. see if carb a/f screw plugs have been drilled out, has he or his mechanic been keeping it tuned up over the years.

another thread talking about letting guys rid the bike and such, have you asked him if he will let you take it for a spin, might have to bring cash with you as collateral or at least put up your family hahah kidding
but at least he will know your serious if your coming all the way out to check the bike. the bike usually doenst have much problems in my experiance(not much lol) but general wear and tear, take good look at front end seals ,oil,tires bla bla bla and such, not that its hard to chg but give you a idea on how well he maintained the bike. see if carb a/f screw plugs have been drilled out, has he or his mechanic been keeping it tuned up over the years.

Yes, he's going to let me ride the bike. I'll also have the cash in my pocket. I certainly am not going to drive up there twice.

Thanks for the tips on what to check. Is having the carb air/fuel screws drilled a GOOD thing or a BAD thing? Checking is easy enough, but I don't know what to think if I discover that they are there or missing.

Yes, he's going to let me ride the bike. I'll also have the cash in my pocket. I certainly am not going to drive up there twice.

Thanks for the tips on what to check. Is having the carb air/fuel screws drilled a GOOD thing or a BAD thing? Checking is easy enough, but I don't know what to think if I discover that they are there or missing.

nothing wrong in it, make it easier for you to adjust and such. more just to see if he has been maintaining the bike. So good thing would be the answer. wanna check maybe operation of the vboost, even befor you start you can tell if its working by turning on the key, it will cycle once open, then closed then take up slack so two obvious sounds then a little peep of a sound. the clicking sound is the fuel pump and might not make a sound if carbs are fillered allready but should not constantly be going , then ya know maybe float stuck or something is going on with carbs/fuel pump

Of course a little more and you could have a 2003 with 12,500 miles on it (and even has a backrest). Carbs have been gone through (by me) and fork seals replace (also by me). $4500!

Sean

LOL, I need to sell this 03 and my 05 before all the new SS Camaro's are taken! It's not like I will be without a Vmax though.

Sean

I hope the ball joints on it are better than the ones on the G8. The suspension is pretty much the same as the G8 though. I hope they sourced them from someone else.

Sean, Make sure you check out www.GRRRR8.net for your camaro needs. I am admin on there.

aren't the new camaro's snapping drive shafts?

Of course a little more and you could have a 2003 with 12,500 miles on it (and even has a backrest). Carbs have been gone through (by me) and fork seals replace (also by me). $4500!

Sean

Yes ... but you are REALLY far away :bang head:

There have been some on Ebay also that I would have bought in a millisecond ... if they were not 2000 miles away. Ugh. I appreciate your offer nevertheless.

Who knows ... maybe I'll be hitting you up for one of your carb kits.

I just got the cash from my account. So this is either gonna happen tonight or not at all. We'll see.

nothing wrong in it, make it easier for you to adjust and such. more just to see if he has been maintaining the bike. So good thing would be the answer. wanna check maybe operation of the vboost, even befor you start you can tell if its working by turning on the key, it will cycle once open, then closed then take up slack so two obvious sounds then a little peep of a sound. the clicking sound is the fuel pump and might not make a sound if carbs are fillered allready but should not constantly be going , then ya know maybe float stuck or something is going on with carbs/fuel pump

Awesome. Thanks for all the tips. I'll certainly listen for the vboost servo as well as the fuel pump.

Sean

That's a DEAL right there!!!!!!!!:clapping:

hey geek,

if u need any quick questions answered while ur there, i just PMd u my phone #. if i can answer i will.

hey geek,

if u need any quick questions answered while ur there, i just PMd u my phone #. if i can answer i will.

Hey Garrett,

Thanks a TON! Seriously, I really appreciate that. I've programmed your number into my phone. I'll give you ring if something comes up that I need advice on.

Ha ... reminds me of the "call a friend" option in that "who wants to be a millionaire" show they had on a few years ago.

Spencer

Back