Powder coat temperature resistance

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscar_sande

Reaction score
What kind of paint/coat can be used for the engine?

I was thinking that I'd powder coat it. But will the powder coat be able to sustain the repetitive heat ups and cool downs of the engine? I'm especially worried around the exhaust ports where it is going to get VERY hot.

Powdercoating is cured at 400 degrees and burns back off at 600. I've coated the cylinder heads before with no issues at all (and run the bike hard and even had a head gasket issue that caused higher temps that still didn't cook the coating).

We paint our engines with a good high quality automotive paint and it holes up great (as a few of the guys on here).

The problem with PC'ing the engine is taping and caping off ALL the holes and areas you don't want paint. What ever you use HAS to be able to withstand the heat.

I've seen some of Seans paint work and it's pretty darn good!

Chris

As i told you before you will have to disassemble the engine itself because of the rubbers, and gaskets... A good trick i found to be working is to fill the threaded holes with silicon for gaskets (black paste gasket silicon - heat resistant) and stick a bent wire in it in order to pop it out after PC it... If some remains the bolt will take care of that when bolting on. Other way is to pass the tap bit again on the hole if you don't isolate (don't recommend)... I think that is the best treatment for the engine and hydraulic fluid doesn't bother it like it does to the paint...

my valve covers are powdered and don't expect a problem. basically from what i've heard engine is ok, exhaust is a no no

My bike has PC everywhere. My powdercoater now has high temp coatings good past 1000 degrees now. It is not ceramic coating from what I'm told but I might prefer that or JettHott coating for exhausts. My Kerker baffle was powdercoated with standard stuff and is downstream enough it looks new still (when cleaned) ask about hi temp Powders. If your coater is up with the times, you should be fine anywhere on the motor.

Back