Powdercoating rims

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
Hello All.

I have some questions about powdercoating my rims... I know you all will def be able to help...

1. Whats a fair price. I am thinking $100 a rim isn't a bad deal.

2. I know i'd have to remove the rotor, what about the spline and bearings inside?
-If so, is it a tough job? Should it be something i let a shop do? any special tools needed? i've removed my own back tire and let the shop throw a new tire on and that was pretty easy...
-also do i need to look out for things not fitting back in after the powdercoating (esp the bearings and such in the axle on the RIM?) Wondering if the extra layer will cause problems or get in the rotor bolt holes.

Any other suggestions/comments would be great. Thanks in advance all!

Well, that's pretty strange! I just talked to a guy that does a lot of PC for the local hot rodders. Actually, he just bought an '02 Max, but that's another story.

He quoted me $80/wheel, rotors, bearings, spacers, etc. have to be removed before.

I would think they mask off all the bolt holes, etc. prior to PC but, give me a few weeks, I'll get back to you with all the answers. Soon as there's no chance of any more riding, I'll be doing just that to mine. :clapping:

If you get a nice job done and can let me know about that i can probably drop them off or ship them to your guy. i def want reviews of a shops work.

I think a few years ago I paid 85 bucks. This was for my three spoke SV wheels. You HAVE to remove bearings and such before blasting and coating.

I've been VERY happy with my wheels over all.

I think a few years ago I paid 85 bucks. This was for my three spoke SV wheels. You HAVE to remove bearings and such before blasting and coating.

I've been VERY happy with my wheels over all.

Chris, Did you go with flat, semi gloss or hi gloss black on your rims?

I'm def gonna go with matt when i do it. has anyone removed the spline/bearings from the front/rear wheels from a 2003 here? I'd like to see whats involved in removing/putting them back together.

removing sucks (especially the cage bearing from the rear) but install isn't bad.

Sean

removing sucks (especially the cage bearing from the rear) but install isn't bad.

Sean

I need to replace my front wheel bearings. They're on order from Gary McCoy.

Has anyone got any tips or tricks on the removal / refitting process?

I will most probably document it as I go along, and post the results here.

BTW, Mark, how do you put pictures straight into the message text as you've done on your carb thread?

hmm sounds like it could be a pain. i don't want to mess anything up with the bearings....

is it a pain but hard to mess up or is it a pain and really easy to screw up your bearings and such?

some step by steps would be awesome for this type of job!

I need to replace my front wheel bearings. They're on order from Gary McCoy.

Has anyone got any tips or tricks on the removal / refitting process?

I will most probably document it as I go along, and post the results here.

BTW, Mark, how do you put pictures straight into the message text as you've done on your carb thread?

You need to post your pictures on photobucket.com or something like that. Then, cut/paste the IMG code into your message...just like a hyperlink.

Auto Zone will loan you a blind bearing puller. Requires a refundable deposit though. Makes easy work of the roller bearings. Found out about this AFTER I did the rear wheel so didn't try it on the caged rear bearing, which I had to destroy to remove.

Chris, Did you go with flat, semi gloss or hi gloss black on your rims?

It's called under hood black and it has a bit of a texture on it. I LOVE IT!

My brother went with flat which looks good too. Keep in mind the flat isn't really flat per say. It's more like a graphite look.

I don't have any up close pics of the wheels though... Should take some I guess...:confused2:

Attachments

• Pic of bike.jpg
    Pic of bike.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 49
It's called under hood black and it has a bit of a texture on it. I LOVE IT!

My brother went with flat which looks good too. Keep in mind the flat isn't really flat per say. It's more like a graphite look.

I don't have any up close pics of the wheels though... Should take some I guess...:confused2:

They look great!! I was thinking hi gloss might be a little easier to keep clean. I live on a dirt road and maybe the dust wouldn't stick quite as bad to gloss. Is that true, or doesn't it make any diff?

They look great!! I was thinking hi gloss might be a little easier to keep clean. I live on a dirt road and maybe the dust wouldn't stick quite as bad to gloss. Is that true, or doesn't it make any diff?

You see more scratches in the high gloss. These wheels come clean very easily and remember I get chain lube on mine...

You see more scratches in the high gloss. These wheels come clean very easily and remember I get chain lube on mine...

Good point Chris, the under hood is like a semi gloss then, huh? I'll have to see if the guys that I'm going to deal with do the under hood finish, it really looks great! BTW, can they do the insides of the rotors, or do you paint those?

semi could look nice i bet. depends on the color of the bike. since mine's mostly flat black i think i'd go with that.

danny, you'll have to let me know how removing all the bearings and such goes....

for something like this i think i'd might actually see how much a shop would charge to take it apart and put it back together since i'd bring it there to deal with the tire anyways.

So i ended up getting them done.. love the look....

panels were done too.... let me know what u guys think!

Attachments

• IMGP1497.jpg
    IMGP1497.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMGP1499.jpg
    IMGP1499.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMGP1501.jpg
    IMGP1501.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMGP1505.jpg
    IMGP1505.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 60
I love the matt black - loox mean and great!

thanks NG.. i love it too.... my rims were getting oxidized so something had to be done. love the shinko's too. too bad i have to wait until march/april to try them out!! o well gives me time to install t-boost, shift light and my knee plates...

Looks good - I like the flat black look - also so much easier to clean and maintain - that alone is worth it.

Mike

Latest posts

Back