power problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongomax

Reaction score
Coming home I was enjoying a spirited ride when suddenly I lost a lot of power. Idled ok but left front cylinder header temp was not hot. I didn't check rear cylinders but was thinking electrical. Began riding home. Fuel light came on, flipped to reserve and BAM! Power on! Or at least most of it. Im still not convinced Im at full power.

Fuel pump, electrical, clogged fuel line, on/reserve solenoid ??? any ideas??? someone throw me a bone.

Maybe a partially-plugged low/mid speed circuit which was starving that LF cyl. or the gas line to that carb had an obstruction. Switching to reserve may have pressurized the circuit enough to push thru the obstruction. I know the fuel is just going to the bowl, it's not like a fuel injection system where you have a return to the tank and the system is pressurized all the time, w/an electrical solenoid opening for varying amounts of time to 'meter' the fuel flow.

Take it for another ride & call upon Mr. V-Boost. You should have a good idea of whether or not it is working.

Well, like they say, you know that your making good power if the oil level light comes on when you gas it.

I don't think flipping the reserve switch is going to pressurize anything to where it'd magically blow crud out of an obstruction in one of the carbs. I'd be checking a lot of electrical connections and connectors, looking for corrosion, if it were mine. Start with both ends of your battery cables. Then to the ground bunch on the frame right next to the battery, and work outward from there.

Sounds like the left carb was starved for gas. Drain the carbs into a paper cup and look for black rust particles. Left side is normally the worst because the bike sits on the sidestand and the crap goes right into those 2 carbs when the bike is started and warmed up.

Latest posts

Back