Problems with my new Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taavinen

Reaction score
Hey Guys. Picked up my 1992 full power import a ocuple of weeks ago. It is now back at the workshop for a 4th time!
First, it was idling low and started popping in the left muffler prior to stalling at the lights (engine was fully warmed up). I took it to my mechanic who sync'd the carbs and upped the idle while he was there. Then i noticed a bad clutch leak- the slave cylinder was fixed the other day. I also noted a small coolant leak which appears to have come from the valve cock assembly (read the info on here about it and will sort it soon).

Now, all of a sudden yesterday it is popping in the right muffler on warm up and initial ride. I live in the tropics, and it is 30c every day here. I let it warm up for 10 minutes, then rode it and it took another 10 minutes of riding before it would stop popping. It would pop hard under load and am sure i could hear the carby backfiring under the dummy tank under heavy load.
I am also getting bad fuel economy - 55miles from full until the fuel light goes on! I am running only BP ultimate (98octane).

Needless to say it is back at the mechanic. Are these bikes so renound for so many problems? Any suggestions about the popping in the exhaust??

Don't run such high octane fuel - it is not good for the Max. It doesn't have a high-compression engine, so wants regular unleaded fuel.

On a '92, the most likely cause for your problems is gummed up carbs, this happens easily if the bike has ever sat for a while. The best way to get it to work good again is to clean the carbs properly, and renew and rubber bit that may be perished.

This can be VERY expensive if you get a shop to do it (commonly referred to as 'stealers'), but really not so bad if you do it yourself.

There are 'how to' posts here with full explanations and pictures. The popping is most often due to slide diaphragms and/or coasting enrichment diaphragms that have perished or have holes/tears in them. Again you can see those in detail in the 'how to' posts, just check out the stickies in the carbs section.

I had similar popping when I bough mine and I pullled the carbs and opened and cleaned everything in each carb. Used a compressor to help clear some of the passages. I cant remember which jet it was but one or 2 of them were blocked. After everything was cleaned I had no more popping...Although I havent personally done this, there is a method of cleaning things out called the pea shooter, check it out....

good luck

Ok thanks for the pointers guys, VERY much appreciated!!
I was thinking of puting Morley's muscle kits thru the carbs. My mechanic is going to look at it in the morning (leaving the bike there overnight to make it pop again so he can go thru an elimination process). Maybe it is worth rebuilding the carb's now?

Like the others said, there's a ton of info here to digest. Going and paying a mechanic each time is going to add up.
Get hold of a workshop manual look at that, read all the info you can here and you'll be a wiz in no time.
You'll get it running right for sure.

If your bike is the one pictured do not get ANY jet kit for it. You need a full header to see any benefit from a kit.

Hey Sean.
I have been liaising with Mark from Mark's performance in Cali and am arranging the full system at the moment.
Hey Jedi. Yeh i am prone to tinkering. I built my last V8 engine :D
Problem is the max is my main transport, so can't have it off the road cause i can't get something right with it. I do agree tho, i have always avoided carbs as they are quite fiddly. Maybe it is time i suss it out.

Taavinen....start with this http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

It doesn't take long and only costs a can of carb cleaner. If it clears your issues up, great....if it makes some difference then you may need to do it again, but you know you're headed in the right direction.

I wouldn't recommend making any jetting/pipe changes until you get it running good....then re-jet or install the Mark's or whatever.

Ok, now i feel like a d!ck. Ends up one of the new spark plugs failed. Didn't even bother to check them as i figured the plugs were new, no chance it would be that :bang head: . The mechanic was saying he has seen numerous plugs fail since going from the brass colour to the silver ones. He didn't charge me for it (did two test runs, re-checked carb sync etc).

There was another max there today with what looked like forks off an XV650 or something, looked good

Hold that thought. After 35km it is popping again. Obviously that carb issue that was highlighted earlier. Rather frustrating :bang head:

Hi get some Nulon fuel system cleaner not the regular type but the trade use only in a can

I ended up taking it to yomama after talking with them. Still don't have it back, but they seem to think they have sorted the issues and i should be able to ride it away tomorrow. I won't hold my breath. So much for japanese reliability! Guess i was just lucky with my first two jap bikes??!!

Sweet, got the bike back today :D Rides well.
Apparently the carbs were out of sync (only about 2 weeks after a different mechanic sync'd the carbs) Anyone got any ideas on how it would go back out of sync quickly like that ??

Also, the battery was low on Fluid (thought they would have checked this before they sold it to me) which led to low charge and the bike stalling on the Yami mechanic.

There also appears to be some fuel which has made it's way down to the base of a few of the carbs. Any ideas on this? Any common areas they leak?

I ended up taking it to yomama after talking with them. Still don't have it back, but they seem to think they have sorted the issues and i should be able to ride it away tomorrow. I won't hold my breath. So much for japanese reliability! Guess i was just lucky with my first two jap bikes??!!

What do you want from 18 years old bike :rofl_200:

Mine is 99 and as far I was experiencing minor problems only.

Sweet, got the bike back today :D Rides well.
Apparently the carbs were out of sync (only about 2 weeks after a different mechanic sync'd the carbs) Anyone got any ideas on how it would go back out of sync quickly like that ??
Bad sync or worn linkage brass sleeve.

Also, the battery was low on Fluid (thought they would have checked this before they sold it to me) which led to low charge and the bike stalling on the Yami mechanic.
Grab the ups gel battery, cheapo and very realible.

There also appears to be some fuel which has made it's way down to the base of a few of the carbs. Any ideas on this? Any common areas they leak?
Check Your floats.

Sweet. Cheers Satariel. So the sync problem could be a worn linkage and the FIX is a brass sleeve? OR the worn bit is the 'linkage brss sleeve'?

Any links for playing with the carbs to check the float levels?

Back