Progressive fork spring question??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopcor

Reaction score
Ok V-max gurus- I just picked up a set of 2000 forks for my 85, and need to know if there is a way to determine whether the existing springs in them are factory, or progressive. Is there a way to tell visually, or maybe measure the coil thickness to figure it out for sure? Thanks, Stan:ummm:

If it has Racetechs, they are much shorter.
From memory, the Progressives are dual rate, so a portion of the spring is wound at one rate, the rest at another.
I think the originals have a varying coil rate.

Best idea is, take them out, take a pic, measure free length, look for a part number on the spring, and post it all here. Easy.

The thickness of the spring tells - OEM looks really thin and flimsy, Prog looks a lot thicker and beefier. I'd say the OEMs are no more than 2mm thick, whereas the Prog are prolly closer to 3mm

Just changed mine. The stock springs were 15" inches, the progressives were 15 1/2 and much heavier. The if the spacers tube are made of PVC the they're most likely aftermarket.

Stan, I have some Progressives coming in a couple days, I'll take a pic of them beside some OEMs....the difference will be more than obvious.

Here's a Picture comparing Stock (Old) to Progressive (New).

Attachments

• Fork_Spring_Comparison_3.jpg
    Fork_Spring_Comparison_3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts

Back