Progressive Rear Shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregoryuw

Reaction score
Hi guys , I'm considering reworking my suspension on my 2007 , I have a nice pile of parts that are going on the bike but don't want to go to low on the suspension or have any scraping or rubbing .
All my parts are not installed right now .
Fatdaddy 18" with ME 880 180
Kerker K white tip exhaust but has dragstar right now .
From what I understand the stock rear shocks are 13" I was thinking 1" down on the front and 12" 440 on the rear .possibly the HD shocks .
Any one using HD rears and are they really stiff ?
any thoughts on my wheel not bottoming out .
Thanks guys

Yes, 13" is the stock shock length.
Shouldn't have any problems with the wheel bottoming with 12" shocks.
Progressive HD shocks seem pretty stiff IMO. I would only recommend them if you are pretty heavy or ride 2up quite a bit.

Most guys find that the vmax handles a little better if the front end is lowered more than the rear. There are plenty of schools of thought regarding this. Ultimately, the choice is up to you.

Yes, 13" is the stock shock length.
Shouldn't have any problems with the wheel bottoming with 12" shocks.
Progressive HD shocks seem pretty stiff IMO. I would only recommend them if you are pretty heavy or ride 2up quite a bit.

Most guys find that the vmax handles a little better if the front end is lowered more than the rear. There are plenty of schools of thought regarding this. Ultimately, the choice is up to you.
I run about 290 in gear and felt the the HD 440's were a tad stiff, most noticable on all day rides and sharper bumps. I add my 15-18 lb tail bag and the ride is perfect. I thought that the HD440's started at 225lbs riders weight but like Mike said they seem a tad stiff.
I run 13" rear shocks and progressive springs with 2" lowering springs which worked well for me with the stock wheels. I installed carrozzeria wheels and radials last summer but I don't have enough experiance with them yet but I am thinking that I will remove 1 lowering spring(adding back 1"). The lightness of the new wheels has really quickened up the turn in, so adding back a little trail should help to balance the turn in.

I was down my buddies cycle shop yesterday , was going thru one of the distributers and got 20% off cost on a set of 430 in black so I went with them in 12.5 and also the lowering spring kit for the front .
I'm going to be riding the girl friend alot of the time so i think it should be fine .
I don't expect the bike to handle like any of my performance machines , anything is better than stock .

Thanks

greg

I was down my buddies cycle shop yesterday , was going thru one of the distributers and got 20% off cost on a set of 430 in black so I went with them in 12.5 and also the lowering spring kit for the front .
I'm going to be riding the girl friend alot of the time so i think it should be fine .
I don't expect the bike to handle like any of my performance machines , anything is better than stock .

Thanks

greg

You have some nice rolling stock! "Ka-tooms" are definitely performance-oriented. I think back in the day, John Penton was selling the KTM's under his family name. Quite the offroad woods bike! They did well in the ISDT for many years. Have you seen the new 1200 cc roadbike they're building for 2014? Something beyond this and this is supposed to be 135 rwhp!

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/10/03/2013-ktm-1190-adventure-first-look/

How-much was the set of 430's & what distributor-Rocky, Parts Unlimited, etc.?

Back