Project LT1 Camaro...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
I bought a 1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 back in early april. The car had one original owner and only had 30K on the odo! The lady kept the car in a heated garage with carpet and the car has never seen rain or snow! She even had the original window sticker! I have never seen anything close to this clean for this year camaro!

The best part is that I picked the car up for 5500! I had planned on spending more but I thought to myself that if I picked something up for cheaper than I would have more money for mods.

I started with headers/exhaust/intake and tune. I then got a Yank 4000 Stall and Mickey T's Drag Radials. I recently had the car at the local track and it ran a 12.4@108 with a 1.7 60 ft.

My next step is going to be heads and cam and that should put the car DEEP into the 11's trapping around 115-118. After that I am going to be doing a 150 shot of nitrous and that should put me into the 10's easy. Of course the rear end and trans will need to be pumped up before the nitrous so I plan on getting a 12 bolt and built trans...

Anyways, here are some pics of the progress so far...I will add to this thread as I add to the car. Let me know what you guys think of the plate...:eusa_dance:

camaro 001.jpg

camaro 002.jpg

camaro 005.jpg

camaro 009.jpg

camaro 012.jpg

camaromickey.jpg

camaroplates.jpg

camaroliz.jpg

lol should and could are big words. Wait tell you do it. I have a 10 sec daily driver mustang and it takes some work. Actualy "had" I am mini tubing it right now throwing in a cage and going nuts on it. Good luck drag racing is addicting and a blast.

sweet ride, I got a 67 cutlass that runs around those times. did you think about putting on a supercharger??? they make those LT1 go pretty good. wait until you put in some gear like 4.10's, then its gonna really move but with a 1.7 seems its already getting out of the hole good.

I changed the LT1 out in my 95 Camaro and installed an LT4 from a 96 Grand Sport Corvette. While I was at it I installed a few other things like an ATI Procharger, long tube headers, 255lph pump, 50lb injectors, MSD6BTM, 4" exhaust with dual 3" outlet, and other stuff I can't even remember right now.

That lasted awhile until it blew a head gasket and at a piston.

Now it's a 383 LT4 with custom cam, lower comp pistons, etc....

Being a convertible won't let me get it on the track at all due to roll bar restrictions. I do know it's faster then the Vmax though.

Sean

I changed the LT1 out in my 95 Camaro and installed an LT4 from a 96 Grand Sport Corvette. While I was at it I installed a few other things like an ATI Procharger, long tube headers, 255lph pump, 50lb injectors, MSD6BTM, 4" exhaust with dual 3" outlet, and other stuff I can't even remember right now.

That lasted awhile until it blew a head gasket and at a piston.

Now it's a 383 LT4 with custom cam, lower comp pistons, etc....

Being a convertible won't let me get it on the track at all due to roll bar restrictions. I do know it's faster then the Vmax though.

Sean

Very Nice Sean! I was thinking about doing an lt4 conversion but instead I am having the stock heads ported and polished. I am also having LS6 springs done as well as the cam.

Sounds like a pretty mean car you got there! Post some pics!

Very Nice Sean!

Rumor has it that the only thing stock was his green machine back in the 70's , but that didn't last long either. :biglaugh:

Attachments

• green-machine2.jpg
    green-machine2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 16-boys-green-machine-h2o-tri-wheel-vehicle.jpg
    16-boys-green-machine-h2o-tri-wheel-vehicle.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 14
LOL, Yep! Not much hangs around out here without something done! Pics are on my other website (at least some crappy pics of the earlier install).

Sean

Very Nice Sean! I was thinking about doing an lt4 conversion but instead I am having the stock heads ported and polished. I am also having LS6 springs done as well as the cam.

Sounds like a pretty mean car you got there! Post some pics!

Porting of the heads is good, but DO NOT have them polished. You actually want them to be "rough" I put that in quotations because they really arent rough. When you polish them smooth you loose air flow because a layer of air called the laminar boundary layer will reduce your available air flow. You want turbulent air in your heads to promote solid even air flow. Polishing heads is a GIANT myth. Just my .02 (plus the science behind it :biglaugh:)
Cheers

Porting of the heads is good, but DO NOT have them polished. You actually want them to be "rough" I put that in quotations because they really arent rough. When you polish them smooth you loose air flow because a layer of air called the laminar boundary layer will reduce your available air flow. You want turbulent air in your heads to promote solid even air flow. Polishing heads is a GIANT myth. Just my .02 (plus the science behind it :biglaugh:)
Cheers

+1 to this. Polishing is a farse, makes air flow and mixture worse, not better.

Polish the exhaust side and leave the intake rough as was noted.
Sean

We tried the ford direction. Cost a lot more for the speed parts but seems the engines are cheaper (small block stuff anyway). We supercharged our 92 mustang and it just doesn't have the same effect (but it did help it a lot).

Sean

polish the chambers. And if you really want to go fast buy a Ford lol.

HAHAHA! I tell you what the easiest way to make a 10 second car today is to buy an 03-04 Cobra and spend a few bucks. I have an entire group of my friends who all run mid-high 10's at 128-133 traps.

But in the end it's still just a mustang...hahaha! I guess I can hardly talk since I drive the mullet machine!

That's a STEAL at 5500.

My 1st sports car was a Trans Am with the LS1.

I ended up selling it to save (and I am currently still saving) for a house. I think I will buy another some day. The LS1 was really under rated as well. Dyno'd stock at 318hp. Pontiac was claming 305hp.

I added a magnaflow exhaust and the 10 bolt girdle.

I only put 3000kms on it during the tree years I owned it.

Gosh I miss that ride.

Good catch on the LT1
________
BMW M2B15 history

Last edited:
I've always just polished the exhaust side of the ports, and left the intake "rough" for better atomization.

Attachments

• XS-ports.jpg
    XS-ports.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 20
  • XS-upper.jpg
    XS-upper.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 24
4000 stall? Damn! That must be a bitch to drive on the road...

A lot of guys are running 3200-3600's on the G8's and are complaining of loosing streetability. I guess yours isn't exactly a DD.

4000 stall? Damn! That must be a bitch to drive on the road...

A lot of guys are running 3200-3600's on the G8's and are complaining of loosing streetability. I guess yours isn't exactly a DD.

It's actually not bad on the street. With the DR's on back it launches like a vmax! haha!

The big stall is a precursor for the heads and cam that i'm getting soon. After the heads/cam I will then install the spray. Should be an easy 10 second car by then!

That's why I like my 6 speed (though my mccleoud dual disc clutch cost close to $1000).

Sean

Latest posts

Back