r1 regulator mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have an '85 max and have been having a problem with the battery not charging recently. about 2 years ago i upgraded from the original regulator to a '97 unit because the OEM gave out. it seems this one is now on its way out. i havent had the time to troubleshoot the electrical sysytem as per the electrosport chart, but i did check out the wiring harness for open connections when i took it off the bike, no problems there. i read the postings about upgrading the regulator to an MOSFET unit from an R1, is the upgrade regulator usable on my '85 since it has 3 wires coming out from the stator? does anyone know of other regulators, besides the R1 unit, that are usable? can you post the mfr. part numbers? wiring diagrams? thanks.................

This is an easy answer,.. the answer to what will work is.. oh no, the boss, gotta hide..brb..

All regulators are basicly funcioning the same way. Most of the motorcycles have 3-phase generators. Modern regulators are maded in mosfet technology.
That technology provides 3 times less current at lead transistor status.
Also mosfets are more resistant to high temp peaks.

Yes, preaty any modern regulator might be used but for sure, some cannot...
And yes, you can call it as upgrade.

Doubt you'll find an list with regulators compatible with v-max.

This is an easy answer,.. the answer to what will work is.. oh no, the boss, gotta hide..brb..
:rofl_200:

i have an '85 max and have been having a problem with the battery not charging recently. about 2 years ago i upgraded from the original regulator to a '97 unit because the OEM gave out. it seems this one is now on its way out. i havent had the time to troubleshoot the electrical sysytem as per the electrosport chart, but i did check out the wiring harness for open connections when i took it off the bike, no problems there. i read the postings about upgrading the regulator to an MOSFET unit from an R1, is the upgrade regulator usable on my '85 since it has 3 wires coming out from the stator? does anyone know of other regulators, besides the R1 unit, that are usable? can you post the mfr. part numbers? wiring diagrams? thanks.................

I run one off of an R1 and yes it will work with your 85. I'll post how I wired it up when I get home from work.

Right on Buster - I'd like to see that. Does the unit bolt on int he same place?

No the thing is too big to bolt in the same place. I have it under the faux tank. The unit doesn't need to be cooled like our older style so you can hide it where ever you want.

I run an R6 regulator on my 1985,mine is tucked in place where my vboost controler used to be under the left scoop.Havent had to charge the battery since and it even starts while still hot! WOOOT! Thanks again Dave!

Which year R1 Buster? The wiring how-to plus pictures would be great.
I like pictures, they make me smile!:whistlin:
Here are some of my pics of the hook up.
The three yellow wires come from the stator (spliced extensions of course)and the red and black go straight to the battery (there is also a frame ground wire mounted to the rear chassis of the regulator and then you get rid of that crimp and run the smaller red wire from the positive battery terminal wire to the fuse and then to the harness where the crimp was connected (red wire 16ga.) You can use the same black plug from the regulator if you cut the wires at the oem regulator
and splice them to reach the new regulator.
and bingo no more hot start and charging problems.
You have to use 14ga. automotive primary wire from the stator wire to the new regulator and , 12ga. wire from the regulator to the battery and frame ground.
<<Dave>>:punk:

Attachments

• 103_3780.jpg
    103_3780.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 103_3781.jpg
    103_3781.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 103_3782.jpg
    103_3782.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 103_3783.jpg
    103_3783.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Did this get posted elsewhere Buster, or are you just slacking off??? :)

LOL... sorry I didn't have time to do it before taking off for the NY pizza run. I'll post pics when I get back.

I think any mosfet reg with the 2 connection blocks will work but some are much bulkier than others so I would look for something as compact as possible (2002-03 R1 is what I use but may be others..also used/had a 2006 R1 but was much heavier/bulkier)

I think any mosfet reg with the 2 connection blocks will work but some are much bulkier than others so I would look for something as compact as possible (2002-03 R1 is what I use but may be others..also used/had a 2006 R1 but was much heavier/bulkier)
I had to do just a little bit of trimming on the plastic behind it but it fits like a glove.
The one that I installed on Ace`s bike, had the fins trimmed down and was alot smaller so it fit right in with no cutting and it works great.
<<Dave>>:punk:

thanks for postin the pix 626. yes, after much frustration i did the electrosport troubleshooting. i found that my previous "upgrade" (I used a '97 regulator to replace a previously fried OEM unit) was toast. it had an output of less than 4 volts. i checked the stator and it put out 72 VAC at just under 5000 RPM, a good number indeed. so i ordered a new R1 and will be installing it in the next few days. thanks for all your help!!!!

Back