Radiator Grill Cover

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX NV

Reaction score
IMG_20110202_162254.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_20110202_162359.jpg

(sorry for the big pix, how do i post thumbnails?)

I found a radiator that I like(not too flashy or expensive) installed it, then discovered that the fork tubes contact it when turned all the way.
Does anyone else's do that? It seem like they all would if they go straight across and aren't bent to fit the contours of the radiator grill.

So what to do?
1. Leave it. It's not that big a deal. A little scratch on the back of the tubes is ok, and I'm not going to be turning that tight much anyway.

2. Try to bend the cover to match radiator. Probably mess it up and it would look terrible.

3.Spend more $$$ on one that is pre-bent.

4. Try to put some kind of padding on it.
Duct tape(cheesy looking, but cheap)
Some foam or squishy stuff
Maybe slice some fuel line(black or clear) and put it along the top

5. Cut/grind a notch in it with a hacksaw or dremel-type grinder with risk of looking funny when done.

Thoughts?

Looks good but my stock bike would overheat with that. Lean

I would notch the corners a bit and throw it in a sheet metal brake and bend the top back a touch. But after looking at how close the holes are to the bend line I'm not sure you could do it without distortion. Dont try a press brake. the old apron brake might work.

Looks good but my stock bike would overheat with that. Lean

I would notch the corners a bit and throw it in a sheet metal brake and bend the top back a touch. But after looking at how close the holes are to the bend line I'm not sure you could do it without distortion. Dont try a press brake. the old apron brake might work.

Yeah, I don't really have a metal shop at my disposal either.:biglaugh:
Best I could do is put it between two pieces of wood in a vise....

Yeah, I don't really have a metal shop at my disposal either.:biglaugh:
Find a small heating & cooling out fit with a hand brake. But dont let the part out of your sight.

Best I could do is put it between two pieces of wood in a vise....

Shit don't do that!

On second thought.. you might be able to put the bend line through, or just below the top row of holes.

I would personally try to get some bend in it before ever cutting or grinding on it,
but putting something across the top so as not to scratch, look into some quickedge at the hardware store

"I would personally try to get some bend in it before ever cutting or grinding on it,
but putting something across the top so as not to scratch, look into some quickedge at the hardware store"

There is another option, if you are handy with your hands, and have a drill motor, some small drills, and a thread tap. Something I did to my bike years ago, because of a similar problem .
Cheers, Miles

"I would personally try to get some bend in it before ever cutting or grinding on it,
but putting something across the top so as not to scratch, look into some quickedge at the hardware store"

There is another option, if you are handy with your hands, and have a drill motor, some small drills, and a thread tap. Something I did to my bike years ago, because of a similar problem .
Cheers, Miles

I'll bite ............... what did you do ? Pics ?

Nice grill, but I actually wanna ditch the scoops on mine and put a larger chicken wire grill on(like the stock one) instead. The radiator sticks out like a sore thumb with those things.

a notch on your forks wouldn't hurt anything up there as the seals never make it that far.

that being said i sure wouldn't want one. you could put little bumpers on them or even try changing the stearing stopper depth, so it stops sooner. but what i would do is find one pre-bent or try to mod it myself depending on how much it was initially.

it looks like aluminum ? if it is depemding on what type it is bending it would probably put small cracke in the face of it, also if you bend it the width might shrink a bit and then not line up with your holes, you could cut part of the top out and finish it off really nice something like this, really great looking cover !

Attachments

• 0209111239.jpg
    0209111239.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 64
it looks like aluminum ? if it is depemding on what type it is bending it would probably put small cracke in the face of it, also if you bend it the width might shrink a bit and then not line up with your holes, you could cut part of the top out and finish it off really nice something like this, really great looking cover !

thats not a bad idea.

Back