Radical Ignition's

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary

The only expierence I have with one was I had a friend who raced a VMAX baxck in the early 90's and wanted a 2 step but not using the dyna due to flooding the engine if on the 2 step to long.
I had and extra MSD M1 ignition that we messed with for a few nights but couldnt never work the bugs out.
Didnt have much luck with the Tech department at MSD niether maybe they changed over the past 15 years.
I remember I was a national event and went over to the MSD tent to ask a question since my M1 box sounded way different then others. Rather then that hmmmm I cant even spell how a 2 step sounds but mine sounded like... well they called it the Chicken Plucker, and it stood out when I was staged more a pound pound pound pound sound that would shoot flames on the step at 4800.. So I asked the tech guy there "Why does my M1 box sound different on the 2 step compared to others:ummm: Well he replied with "It works doesnt it" well I was like yeah but it sounds like my crank is going to snap into a hundred pieces it doesnt have a smooth rythm to it.. Well you accidently got one of our prototypes that we were trying out, if you want we can exchange it..
They were going to make good, but he wasnt the most charming guy for MSD..
If you get one to work let me know I am still fiddling with the idea to turn my Frame Flexxing Wobbler into a competitive bracket bike for the 09 season

Has anyone ever tried running two MSD ditributorless digital box's as an ignition system on the Max? Or has anybody ever tried a distributor mod with a single box?

Lookin at these: http://www.msdignition.com/info.aspx?taxid=4&taxid2=108

Yea I've been on the their forum asking the TECH's questions for years, and got no response or simply... it won't work. One day I picked up the phone and finally got a tech that would talk and he told him about my experience on the forum. He said they will not answer any questions beyond a standard application.

Thay have a solid product and lots of goodies to go along, retard boost control, timimg curves, individual cylinder timing control, two steps. The list goes on and on.

I know it can't be done using one standard unless you build a distributor with a special cap, which I started to do once. But I don't think there is enough recovery time for the coil with the timing the way it is. I even molded the cap. Then I started thinking (always gets me in trouble) Since the motor is basically 2... 2 cylinder motors being run 70 degrees apart, maybe two would work using a standard even fired ignition module.

So I'm thinkin maybe some other nut out there without a life may of already thought and went through with idea. Any elecrical guru's out there?

Sean's torquis dragbike with the hilborne on it had 2 msd boxs I believe.

I definately had an ignition that I had never seen before.

Yes, I've got a few different ignition types around here. The bike you saw has a ford ignition. I have another engine with dual dyna units on it. I also have another setup that uses a jaguar V12 distributor and complete custom parts.

Jeffs bike may be able to run that setup since he doesn't need to do any cornering.

Sean

I'm sure he will get you some pics.... you really should make a trip out there and see all the "stuff" he has:eusa_dance:. I think a lot of the hi-performance stuff is in the back shed and I'm not sure about you, but it is supposed to be a high of -5 F today, and going outside and digging through some boxes in a dark cold shed would not be at the top of my list! I shold try to get some pics of my father-in-laws mags off his plane.... a very easy/simple setup and I'm sure we could configure it to work on the max.

you really should make a trip out there and see all the "stuff" he has:eusa_dance:. I think a lot of the hi-performance stuff is in the back shed and I'm not sure about you, but it is supposed to be a high of -5 F today, and going outside and digging through some boxes in a dark cold shed would not be at the top of my list!

Could you describe this shed and is it locked? -5? I can cope with that :biglaugh:

Actually you got me thinking, I would like to see some different ignitions too. not to mention some close-ups of Gary's fuel system.

Keep reminding me and I'll try to get the requested pics. I probably have 4 or 5 different ignition setups.

Sean

Back