Rear Shock Adjustment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Lynn

Reaction score
Good day to all,

I have 2002 vmax and want to adjust my rear shocks. The tool pouch does not have all the parts. What does the tool look like? With riding two up we put on 365 pounds. would a 3 setting be enough on the shocks and damper? Thanks for any help

you can stick about anything in the lower holes to adjust preload (I keep mine maxed out all the time) and of course the damping is the easy one to adjust by turning the chrome cap. I keep mine on 5 all the time anyway but at least with 2 up you will want to experiment with it. By the way, I don't use a tool - I just grab it leaning over the bike and pull up and turn - not everyone has that good a grip though (might be from being single - no scratch that - I've been doing it long before that - LOL!)

Sean Morley

:rofl_200: thats a good one, i lean over the bike and adjust it by hand also, I've found with prior bikes if you don't use the right tool, you can oblong or disfigure the adjustment hole

I used a pair of channellocks with a rag wrapped around the the shock to keep from scratching the paint.

The stock shocks are crap tho' and should be one of the first things replaced.

Thanks for the info.
The bike only has 1,900 miles on it. I need to use some of the parts prior to getting new stuff, like the rear shocks and front air shocks replaced plus the tires replaced to radials. I have noticed that the bike will way out handle my cruiser in the twistys. On a last note, I'm 60 years old, you really think I can twist the shocks by hand without a traction brace that will follow. I do get a few looks with an old dude climbing off the max.

you can stick about anything in the lower holes to adjust preload (I keep mine maxed out all the time) and of course the damping is the easy one to adjust by turning the chrome cap. I keep mine on 5 all the time anyway but at least with 2 up you will want to experiment with it. By the way, I don't use a tool - I just grab it leaning over the bike and pull up and turn - not everyone has that good a grip though (might be from being single - no scratch that - I've been doing it long before that - LOL!)

Sean Morley

:rofl_200: thats a good one, i lean over the bike and adjust it by hand also, I've found with prior bikes if you don't use the right tool, you can oblong or disfigure the adjustment hole

That's how I do my painted progressive ones too! That last ramp is a biotch though...

I used a pair of channellocks with a rag wrapped around the the shock to keep from scratching the paint.

The stock shocks are crap tho' and should be one of the first things replaced.

I agree with Rusty,Get some aftermarket shocks for any kind of high speed stuff.

I think the stock shocks are fine. I weigh 180lbs. suited and although a little stiff ('06 Vmax) they work well under power. If you are dragging your knee in a turn you expect too much from the Max. I agree that shock selection is a matter of personal choice, but no reason to degrade the stock shock.

I think the stock shocks are fine. I weigh 180lbs. suited and although a little stiff ('06 Vmax) they work well under power. If you are dragging your knee in a turn you expect too much from the Max. I agree that shock selection is a matter of personal choice, but no reason to degrade the stock shock.

What I do not like about the stock shocks is that under hard braking the rear tire likes to bounce like a dribbling basketball.My progressives do not.

And I mean like some asshole just pulled out with out looking in front of you,You have about 1/2 a second before you nail him.You hit the front and rear brakes with all you got and then the rear starts hopping about a foot of of the road and then decides to come around to the front.Not real cool.

If you like to ride fast at all, I recommend at least spending the $200 for some progressives.

Back